Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Watched this a month ago KeyserCorleone and it's brilliant. Personal favourite bit is Robbie Robertson asolutely hoodwinked when Van Morrison rushes off the stage James Brown style....but doesn't come back Same rating as you my friend.
And it's getting its Blu Ray debut very soon, which is amazing...

Peter Rabbit (2018)

Very enjoyable and the animation is fantastic 8/10

Heroes for Sale (1933)

A war hero's heroism is credited to someone who didn't deserve it, while the hero comes home with issues. It's a trend that will never end for the guy. There were moments in the movie when I wasn't totally buying in, but it's a great watch at only about 75 minutes, and it features some heavy stuff for it's time.

A Prayer Before Dawn

The story of Billy Moore, a young English boxer/drug dealer incarcerated in one of Thailand's most notorious prisons... a lot isn't subbed so you feel the characters isolation, at least at the beginning... there is sweetness amongst the brutality and all rings very true. Powerful with a satisfying ending.. all the more powerful because it happened... awesome cinema

Wizard of Oz--also a wonderful movie, although it doesn't hold the same special place in my heart regarding movies as West Side Story does.

Ditto for The Sound of Music..

I also saw South Pacific recently, at a large movie theatre in Boston, through fathom events.com. It was sort of ho-hum for me, and a bit too long (3 hours, with no intermission.).

"Jaws" will be showing at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, in Brookline, MA, as part of their annual Big Screen Classic Films program, tomorrow evening. They show this one every year, on Labor Day, believe it or not, and it always sells out! Sometimes I've gone to see it, other times I've not. Unlike a lot of people, I think that Jaws is kind of a junky cult movie, but to each their own.

71 (2014)

Good film, about the "Troubles". Never easy to portray but Jack O'Connell makes a good fist of being a squaddie lost in Belfast. I believe this was based on a true story. Rough around the edges and the acting drops off (especially when its face off type scenes) but altogether a good story well told 6/10

"Jaws" will be showing at the Coolidge Corner Theatre, in Brookline, MA, as part of their annual Big Screen Classic Films program, tomorrow evening. They show this one every year, on Labor Day, believe it or not, and it always sells out! Sometimes I've gone to see it, other times I've not. Unlike a lot of people, I think that Jaws is kind of a junky cult movie, but to each their own.

If you've got a Silverspot in your area than every Wednesday and Sunday you can see an old movie.

http://www.silverspot.net/Ticketing/...ackcinema.aspx

October 31st - The Shining, I might also see Halloween the week before the new one comes out.

DUNKIRK (2017)

May of 1940 witnessed one of the most amazing feats of WW2.. the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of allied troops from the French seaside town of Dunkerque (Dunkirk). Some were by the British navy but the majority of the avacuators were the owners of small civilian craft which had been mobilsed by a desperate British government. As a result of this immensely brave effort by everyday Englishmen some 330,000 British, French, Belgian and Dutch soldiers made their way back across the English Channel to fight another day.

Unlike previous cinematic versions of the momentous event, this modern version lacked the human touch. I found myself becoming frustrated with the story and wanting it to end well before it did.
★★ disappointing / mediocre/ soulless

movies can be okay...
10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer -
-

A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!

Nocturnal Animals by Tom Ford -

“When you love someone, you work it out, you don’t just throw it away, and you have to be careful with it, because you might never get it again”

Just when I started to feel dispirited about the lack of new favourite films in my pocket, this comes along and blows me away. I didn't think I could relate so much to a movie made by a fashion designer, but here I am, totally invested in the happenings, and fulfilled by the emotional package they brought. The grade A cast undoubtedly amplified the overall quality, especially Amy Adams with her subtle and reserved showing, and Jake Gyllenhaal with his emotionally devastating performance. The latter was already among the top of my preferred actors, but now it’s getting to the point where every film he stars in becomes an instant favorite of mine (Enemy, Nightcrawler, Donnie Darko, and now Nocturnal Animals, would all have a place in a "100 films" list if I ever made one, and Gyllenhaal is a big reason for their inclusion), so he might actually statistically be my favorite actor, and it totally feels like it too.

Personally, I don’t perceive the film to be as much about revenge, as it is about closure. I feel like the intentions of Gyllenhaal's character, are to seek closure after all the hurt he's been through. Him dedicating his book to his ex-wife is a way to express his feelings to her and what he went through after that certain situation, it's a way to express his point of view of their relationship, it's a way for him to express all of what he has previously reserved and held back, it's a way to prove her wrong, and more importantly, it's a way for him to finally have closure, and I feel like the ending backs that up perfectly. Meanwhile, it's Amy Adams' character who actually perceives his book as revenge against her.

I badly want to give Nocturnal Animals a 10/10, but I'll leave that decision to be made after my second watch, which will probably happen tonight. Maybe I'll even write my thoughts extensively too.

Point Blank by John Boorman -
+

Not much to say here, other than I thought it was alright overall, with a few great moments here and there. The first half was kinda annoying, especially with that club scene and all of the yelling, but things got better as the movie went along, but not enough so to particularly impress me. There was also some hilariously bad scenes and moments, that increased the level of my entertainment. Oh and the editing worked well too.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer -
-

A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!
I haven't seen it but I can imagine. They recently made another adaptation with Tim Roth, which amused me because of the couple of times he worked with John Hurt.

It's reasurring to see that there's at least one designer out there who knows the difference between an apostrophe and a single opening quotation mark. Pet hate of mine .

Originally Posted by Okay
10 Rillington Place by Richard Fleischer - -A solid crime film from beginning to end. Although, the last half hour or so is what bumped it up from just being solid, to having glimpses of greatness. I surely didn’t expect to be as effected as I was by the conclusion of this true story. It is understandable though, once one knows where the film is slowly but surely heading. Oof, so upsetting too!

Multiple times I have seen this fine film about the life and times of serial killer John Christie brilliantly portrayed by Richard Attenborough. The late John Hurt also puts in a solid performance. I also give it ★★★★

The Killer Inside Me (2010)

Like Casey Affleck but found this whole film quite flat from a Jim Thompson novel. Didn't really get the outrage a the violence against females. Main protagonist is a psychopath! The story itself was fine I just feel that Winterbottom (who I can like and dislike) didn't take much risks for him and overall the end product is a bit bland or at least, not as good as it could have been. 5/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Red Pill -

Made by a self-described Feminist, I wasn't sure if it would be worth watching it coming from a defined perspective, but it was very good. She was sincere, and seemed genuine about finding things out, even though she'd get knee-jerk reactions, but I guess I did when it was my side; which I think is the problem, hence, the reason for an opposition group, which is too bad - we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems.

The Red Pill -

Made by a self-described Feminist, I wasn't sure if it would be worth watching it coming from a defined perspective, but it was very good. She was sincere, and seemed genuine about finding things out, even though she'd get knee-jerk reactions, but I guess I did when it was my side; which I think is the problem, hence, the reason for an opposition group, which is too bad - we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems.
I've wanted to see that. Glad to hear you thought well of it, some have panned it on this thread.

"we should be fighting side by side, fixing the biggest problems." That's how I feel about everything. You know it's like the Pink Floyd song, 'Together we stand, divided we fall....'

Welcome to the human race...
That's the tragedy of the damn thing - legitimate concerns being compromised because the movement got co-opted by regressive anti-feminist types (some of whom are uncritically featured in the film), which is why it sucks that the director just goes "welp guess I'm not a feminist anymore" at the end.

Last movie watched...

Metropolis -

guys I think it's a metaphor for something