Challenge: One Film for every Country

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
I have been toying with this idea for a while now, and a lot of people have attempted this on the web, but -to the best of my knowledge- none has completed it.

The idea is to watch at least one film from every country in the world. Many problems arise, such as the definition of a country, but for this lets go with the UN standard of 197 countries. There is also the obvious problem of some countries not having a film industry and of film availability, but I guess we will figure this out as we go. For now, I am just happy to start this and see how far it takes me.

For the purposes of this challenge, we are looking for films produced by, shot in and starring actors from that specific country. I welcome you to join me or suggest films for those more difficult cases.

Below is a list of all the UN accepted countries:

Europe  

Asia  

Africa  

North America  

South America  

Oceania  

Also answers to Jabba
Regularly updated list

Europe: 35/47  

Asia: 24/47  

Africa: 26/54  

North America: 13/23  

South America: Completed  

Oceania: 8/14  

Other Territories  

Couple of suggestions.

Austria - Funny Games
Uganda - Who killed Captain Alex?

Down here are some good-looking films I've heard of but never seen.

Czech Republic - Traps
Iceland - Under the Tree

For North Korea - Pulgasari (1985) - it is a a fun bad movie. The back story is fascinating:

From IMDB: "Although the film is a North Korean production, director Sang-ok Shin is South Korean. North Korean dictator Jong-Il Kim was a huge fan of Shin's, and since North and South Korea have technically been at war since 1951 and have no diplomatic relations, Kim had him kidnapped. Shin eventually escaped back to South Korea, but not before he had been forced to make this movie for the erratic North Korean leader."

Also answers to Jabba
Thanks for the suggestions guys! @HashtagBrownies for Austria I was thinking of going with Amour because I already have a copy of it, but I didn't know Funny Games was an Austrian and not a German production. Interesting...

@Theophile you saw this in John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, right?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Haneke is Austrian.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Serbia:
Skupljaci Perja / I Even Met Happy Gypsies (1967)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Also answers to Jabba
@Nemanja thanks for the suggestion. My girlfriend is Croatian and she suggested one of these two for Serbia. What do you think?
Link 1
Link 2
-----------------------
PS. I did some more digging in my watchlist and found 3-4 more countries I've already seen films from. Also, I recently covered Bosnia Herzegovina.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! @HashtagBrownies for Austria I was thinking of going with Amour because I already have a copy of it, but I didn't know Funny Games was an Austrian and not a German production. Interesting...

@Theophile you saw this in John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, right?

No, I don't have cable. I watched this in the spring for Bad Movie night. The whole thing was on YouTube.

@Nemanja thanks for the suggestion. My girlfriend is Croatian and she suggested one of these two for Serbia. What do you think?
Link 1
Link 2
-----------------------
PS. I did some more digging in my watchlist and found 3-4 more countries I've already seen films from. Also, I recently covered Bosnia Herzegovina.
Slobodan Sijan and his writer Dusan Kovacevic make the hilarious Yugoslav satire, It is also extremely original, very good choise

There 193 members of the UN.

Plus 2 non-participating observer states.

Argentina- Wild Tales
Armenia- The color of pomegranites
Austria- The White Ribbon
Belgium- The Brand New Testament
Czechia- One night in the City
Denmark- Festen
France- Water Lilies
Germany- M
Greece- Dogtooth
Hungary- Kontroll
Iceland- Rams
Ireland- Bloody Sunday
Italy- Life is Beautiful
Malta-The Boat
Netherlands- The Human centipede- First sequence
Norway- Troll Hunter
Poland- Three colors: white
Romania- 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days
Russia- Solaris
United Kingdom-Notes on a scandal

China- The little red flowers
Georgia- Tangerines.
Israel-Waltz with Bashir
Japan- Grave of the Fireflies
South Korea- Oldboy

Canada- Cube
Guatemala-The Golden Dream
Mexico- The exterminating Angel
United States- A girl walks home alone at night

Uganda-Girl in the Yellow Jumper

Brazil- City of Gods

Australia- Picnic at Hanging Rock
New Zealand - King Kong

I don’t think Cyprus is a European country.

Germany- M
Norway- Troll Hunter
I like these choices .

United Kingdom-Notes on a scandal
Interesting choice – I watched it a few months ago.

Also answers to Jabba
Updated my post on top to include Three new entries: Norway, Romania and Uganda.

I looked through my movie archives to see which countries I could cover in the near future: Algeria, Austria, Chile, Czechia, Estonia, Hungary, Lebanon, Mali, Mauritania, Poland, Serbia, Thailand, Turkey, Vanuatu, Zimbabwe.

Not much, but enough to keep me going till I find more titles.

Do half of those Caribbean islands have a film industry?