Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
It's the same today! I can't edit my posts, only quote. Grrrr...
What is the problem. I'll help if I can.

@Ms. M
Thank you so much. I tried to edit my posts and it turned out I quoted myself. I'll try few more times and if not help, I'll ask for your help. You are very kind

Thank you so much. I tried to edit my posts and it turned out I quoted myself. I'll try few more times and if not help, I'll ask for your help. You are very kind
@Yoda might be able to help you out.

Ready Player One (2018)

What a ride! Spielberg covers all the bases in this breathtaking journey through reality and fantasy. The CGI and special effect
s wizardry enhance a nicely traditional love story which anchors a modern trendy sci-fi/video games story line.

Arguably Spielberg is one of the only
figures in Hollywood with the clout to have obtained rights for references to all the copyrighted films, TV shows, music, video games, etc. used in the movie. Reportedly the legal team took several years to obtain contractual permissions from a whole spate of works before filming could even begin. A few refusals caused script changes. There were sustained and immensely impressive segments involvingThe Shining and Saturday Night Fever, for example. Reportedly there were over 100 references to productions from the 1970s to the 2010s.

This is a Spielbergean good-natured film imbued with the fascination of
E. T., and the urgency of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The casting was first rate, which included the brilliant Mark Rylance, Ben Mendelsohn, Simon Pegg; and starring Tye Sheridan and Olivia Cook, who could have been the reincarnation of James Dean and Natalie Wood.

The film was absorbing, charming, funny, and hugely enjoyable without the common contemporary crutches of gutter language, gratuitous sex, and breaking the 4th wall. To that end I enjoyed this film much more so than films such as Deadpool 2.

My guess is that this picture will have special appeal to those over 35, and under 20. But Spielberg has shown that he’s still the master producer/director, even at 71 years of age.

Doc’s rating: 8/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready_Player_One_(film).png
Views:	251
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	47321  

Call Me by Your Name (2017) by Luca Guadagnino

+

Melvin and Howard (1980) by Jonathan Demme

+

The Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000) by Tran Anh Hung

+

La Région Centrale (1971) by Michael Snow

Limite (1931) by Mario Peixoto

Caught (1949)

Supreme potboiler good vs evil and love will out. James Mason is great in . Robert Ryan is pretty good too being a total manipulative *****. The love interest (Miss Ellie) is, in all honesty, pretty ropey but she's not asked to act much.

Contains the most disturbing and incongruous ending of a film I have ever seen. Its honestly mental. 5/10.

Stroszek - 9/10

I won't change my score since last time; I took a nap at about 5am, and continued it a few hours later.

Agreed, i don't even know what genre this is? Realism? Either way its funny, tragic, touching and stays with you....I suppose that's a great achievement.

Querelle (of Brest) (1982)

Fassbinder adaptation of a Jean Genet novel. The intrigue is kept pretty high around the murderous main man. Very camp but also with a real heart. Some of the backdrops are very theatrical and the acting quite stagey but Brad Davis is great. I enjoyed this curio. Franco Nero as a repressed homosexual seafaring Captain gets this extra points 7/10 and I'd have loved to see Brad Davis make many more films.

REBECCA: (1940)

This multi award-winning film rates among my top three of all time. Rebecca, the screen adaptation of the book by noted author Daphne Du Maurier has it all, sublime acting, (all three leading actors won Academy awards) a pulsating soundtrack driven by a plot of mystery and intrique to keep the most demanding begging for more. First time director Alfred Hitchcock maintains the tension at a steady level until the shattering ending..
The storyline centres on the isolated mansion of Manderlay and its inhabitants..the mysterious housekeeper Mrs Danvers, Max De Winter (Laurence Olivier) and the new Mrs De Winter. (Joan Fontaine) She soon discovers that she must live in the shadow of her husband's former wife Rebecca, who died mysteriously several years earlier. Stealing the show imho is Australian Judith Anderson for her rivetting performance as the disturbed Mrs Danvers.
Rebecca, Hitch's first American film and for which he was awarded the Best Director Oscar, is a must see for devotees of gothic mysery.

A scene from Rebecca.

2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)

2001 A Space Odyssey(1968) in IMAX with 77mm print

Alpha

It Happened One Night

Gerald's Game

You Were Never Really Here