Under the Silver Lake

Tools    

New film by David Robert Mitchell the director of It Follows.

An affable but aimless young man becomes an unwitting detective who quickly finds himself in over his head as he investigates the mysterious disappearance of his beautiful neighbor, with whom he has fallen in love. As he combs through East Los Angeles searching for any kind of clues he can find, he stumbles upon a larger, more sinister conspiracy than he ever imagined, involving billionaires, celebrities, urban myths, and even pop culture as we know it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Interesting. I'll definitely check this out because It Follows showed me that he has a lot of talent.

Suspect's Reviews

This film is absolutely magnificent! I saw it yesterday and will write about it in my log tomorrow. One of the most incredible films of the last few years for me!

Don't like It Follows anymore, and this doesn't look very good to me either.

Don't like It Follows anymore
Explain.

Personally I never liked it. Thought it had some decent scenes here and there but I never got the hype. What made you go from liking it to not?

Explain.

Personally I never liked it. Thought it had some decent scenes here and there but I never got the hype. What made you go from liking it to not?
I always felt like I was forcing myself to like it instead of genuinely liking it. Honestly, I think over time I just accepted the fact that I don't like it. When the 25th Anniversary Edition comes out, they should package it with promotional cardboard.

I always felt like I was forcing myself to like it
Seriously? I remember you enthusiastically recommending it to me before i had even heard of it, i (genuinely) loved it and imagine still do but i haven't seen it since.

It's just a fun film with a great soundtrack, it's horror masterpiece of the century label is absurd but i mean what film does deserve that? The Witch, that's what!

Seriously? I remember you enthusiastically recommending it to me before i had even heard of it, i (genuinely) loved it and imagine still do but i haven't seen it since.

It's just a fun film with a great soundtrack, it's horror masterpiece of the century label is absurd but i mean what film does deserve that? The Witch, that's what!
I can't really explain whatever enthusiasm you're referencing but I will say I did genuinely try to like it. I do think the soundtrack is pretty great, but the movie itself sucks.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I don't know if it's because horror in general kinda sucks today so the boundary is low enough as it is, but i loved It Follows as well. Agreed the soundtrack was probably the best thing about it, although I thought the closing scene was pretty clever.

I quite like Riley Keough too after American Honey so I'm glad to hear people enjoying it since it seems to be getting mixed signals on IMDb (last time I checked) I'll have to check it out

I can't really explain whatever enthusiasm you're referencing but I will say I did genuinely try to like it. I do think the soundtrack is pretty great, but the movie itself sucks.
Do you do that with a lot of hyped horror films? Only asking because i've seen high ratings from you for a lot of them and have put some on a mental watchlist as a result.

True. The pool scene did give me a good laugh, I'll give it that.

P.S. I'm thinking more Hereditary. That one deserves it for bringing the heebie jeebies back to Horror. It's been a while since a movie genuinely creeped me out.

Do you do that with a lot of hyped horror films? Only asking because i've seen high ratings from you for a lot of them and have put some on a mental watchlist as a result.
Hard to say, but yeah it's possible. There are some I genuinely love with all my heart - like The Witch.

Hard to say, but yeah it's possible. There are some I genuinely love with all my heart - like The Witch.
Yeah, i know i have to take into account i'm not as big of a horror fan as you in general, that just surprised me.

This looks okay at best haha.

P.S. I'm thinking more Hereditary. That one deserves it for bringing the heebie jeebies back to Horror. It's been a while since a movie genuinely creeped me out.
I liked it but couldn't agree less with this. Thought the first 40 minutes or so were pretty creepy but as soon as
WARNING: "Hereditary Spoilers" spoilers below
the sister lost her head
the film got increasingly worse for me. Liked the ending and stuff but it didn't bring the heebie jeebies for me.

I liked it but couldn't agree less with this. Thought the first 40 minutes or so were pretty creepy but as soon as
WARNING: "Hereditary Spoilers" spoilers below
the sister lost her head
the film got increasingly worse for me. Liked the ending and stuff but it didn't bring the heebie jeebies for me.
WARNING: spoilers below

Ha, that actually took me by surprise. I loved the brother's response to it all, too. Let's not forget Collette, she was nothing short of phenomenal. The casting choices were perfect. It did become increasingly absurd, but that was the point (I'm assuming that's what you didn't like). But what I really liked about it was the lack of jump scares. No this or that jumping in your face to get a cheap scare, instead it was all pretty subtle. I like a Horror film that forces me to pay attention to every detail so I don't miss anything. Which in turn makes it all the more unsettling.
I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this director.

Ha, that actually took me by surprise. I loved the brother's response to it all, too. Let's not forget Collette, she was nothing short of phenomenal. The casting choices were perfect. It did become increasingly absurd, but that was the point (I'm assuming that's what you didn't like). But what I really liked about it was the lack of jump scares. No this or that jumping in your face to get a cheap scare, instead it was all pretty subtle. I like a Horror film that forces me to pay attention to every detail so I don't miss anything. Which in turn makes it all the more unsettling.
I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this director.
WARNING: "Hereditary" spoilers below
I didn't mean i saw that coming, just that it was the turning point in the film deterioating for me. Collette was the highpoint but she certainly wasn't flawless, her reaction to her husband being engulfed in flames was terrible and so was the scene her son assumed she was sleepwalking. I didn't like the pacing, it turned way too quickly into absurd and i didn't find the effects satisfying or the idea of them in fact. I'm not gonna praise a film purely for not having jumpscares especially when it had a few like the first naked guy appearing at the door then Collette appearing from the side when he was looking at the ceiling, actually it was full of jumpscares there was also her mom appearing early on and the bird. Wouldn't call any of them cheap but they weren't subtle either.

It was alright, hope the director can improve on it in the future.

I didn't mean i saw that coming, just that it was the turning point in the film deterioating for me. Collette was the highpoint but she certainly wasn't flawless, her reaction to her husband being engulfed in flames was terrible and so was the scene her son assumed she was sleepwalking. I didn't like the pacing, it turned way too quickly into absurd and i didn't find the effects satisfying or the idea of them in fact. I'm not gonna praise a film purely for not having jumpscares especially when it had a few like the first naked guy appearing at the door then Collette appearing from the side when he was looking at the ceiling, actually it was full of jumpscares there was also her mom appearing early on and the bird. Wouldn't call any of them cheap but they weren't subtle either.

It was alright, hope the director can improve on it in the future.

I don't consider those jump scares. They didn't come at you, but were naturally revealed. Other than the bird.

I thought the scene with her husband on fire was a nice touch. The swift change in facial expression Collette pulled off was well done, especially considering it was the turning point. The same goes for the sleepwalking scene. It was so well crafted. It plays on your imagination because you'd need to put yourself in the character's shoes for it to really have an affect on you. Imagine her son's terror when he wakes up to his Mother looking at him the way Collette looked. Picture waking up to that ****, that's pretty damn terrifying.
But, to each his own.

Under the Silver Lake is nothing like It Follows, which I only moderately liked.

UTSL doesn't have a consistent story. It's a piece of surreal, psychedelic, neo-noir cinema that brings you to the most unexpected places. A mix between Lynch, Inherent Vice, The Long Goodbye and a 'struggling young adult' film.

I think it will be one of those love or hate films here on Movieforums. Looking forward to seeing who will be on my side.

I don't consider those jump scares. They didn't come at you, but were naturally revealed. Other than the bird.

I thought the scene with her husband on fire was a nice touch. The swift change in facial expression Collette pulled off was well done, especially considering it was the turning point. The same goes for the sleepwalking scene. It was so well crafted. It plays on your imagination because you'd need to put yourself in the character's shoes for it to really have an affect on you. Imagine her son's terror when he wakes up to his Mother looking at him the way Collette looked. Picture waking up to that ****, that's pretty damn terrifying.
But, to each his own.
Here are the jumpscares according to wheresthejump:

14:29 – A bird flies into the window of Charlie’s classroom however we see the bird flying towards the window beforehand which substantially reduces the impact.

37:50 – We see a decapitated head on the road crawling with ants (not a jump scare but some viewers might find the image disturbing).

1:08:50 – As Annie drives home from the seance she is startled by the tongue-clicking noise that her daughter makes.

1:18:19 – After the seance at home, Peter starts to freak out however this is interrupted when a glass cabinet suddenly breaks.

1:18:29 – Shortly after Annie says “Charlie, what’s wrong?” the candle on the table flares up.

1:27:58 – Peter thinks he sees Charlie in the corner of the room but it turns out to be a ball that drops and rolls across the floor. After a short pause, an arm suddenly grabs Peter around the head.

1:49:47 – Peter hears a loud noise from upstairs.

1:53:22 – During a very tense scene, Peter sees a naked man in the doorway. He then looks up to the ceiling where Annie previously was but no one is there. Suddenly, Annie rushes at him from the corner of the room.

That's quite a few (not counting the ant one as noted that's not a jumpscare), not as much as most modern horrors but it still prevents me from praising it for not having jumpscares. Think the 1:53:22 one with Collette running out from an unexpected place very quickly with booming music and the last part of the 1:27:58 one with the hand certainly come at you, the glass cabinet and bird too actually.

The idea of the sleepwalking scene is scary but i thought Collette looked ridiculous and the son barely conveyed terror, he sounded more annoyed than scared, that may be down to the actor who was pretty weak but still. The fire scene was absurd to me we disagree there, especially Collette's face that just came across as overacting to me.

Yeah, to each his own we don't agree on this but it's just personal reactions not anything fundamentally wrong with the film. I did quite like it i just didn't think of it as a horror masterpiece, gave it 3/5.