Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Oh Lucy (2017)

This is a straightforward but unusual American-Japanese film that starts out as a comedy, but morphs into an intense drama with a gratifying ending.

It stars the talented Shinobu Terajima as a Tokyo office worker who gets a crush on her American English language teacher, who unfortunately is having an affair with Terajima’s niece. And her sister is not happy about any of it.

The film is based upon an award winning short film
of the same name by Atsuko Hiraynagi, who also directed both.

I was quickly drawn into Terajima’s character, Setsuko. What appeared to be happening in the first act was not what was happening at all, and the story seamlessly transitioned into a different scenario.
Happily what fears the viewer has for Setsuko’s fate are nicely relieved by the satisfying ending.

I’ve not had the opportunities to view many Japanese narratives in film, beyond a few of the older standards. But this is a very enjoyable picture, and I’d be looking forward to any other work by either Hirayanagi, or Terajima.

For our posters who are more accustomed to Japanese films in general, or this movie in particular, perhaps you might recommend some similar pictures.

~Doc
I liked this movie, it's quite original. I kept my finger corossed for the main charakter. She was so lost, confused....Good movie

+
Happy End

From the beggining I thought it is quite boring, but then I started to realize this movie is about running away from reality, into work, another affairs or madness.

Wonderful, funny, visualily amazing with great music.
It's my subjective opinion, the girl next to me felt asleep

Hereditary

I sat down to watch this with very little knowledge about the actual film. I have glanced over a few reviews and see that many are split on how good or bad the film is. I personally wind up right down the middle. It had it's moments and it eventually devolved into something akin to a Stephen King novel, and not one of the better ones. There were some nail-biting moments and some "oh hell no!" scenes, but there just were not enough of them. Colette really carried the film though and I think if the story was written just a little better it would have gotten over that hurdle for me. Byrne really fell flat as the father though - maybe he was supposed too, but I normally like his acting. Not so much in this one.

I do recommend it though if nothing else for some good scares.

TORA,TORA,TORA: (1970)

Decided last nite to have another look at this original version of the imfamous airborne Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7,1941. After a slow paced first half..the flick finally sprang into life with spectacular visuals of the attack. So satisfying to not see a computer graphic within cooee of this fine war film. The storyline was compelling as it was told from the aspect of both of the combatants. The cinematograhy was spectacular, the soundtrack stirring.. My only complaint was the stilted acting by some of the cast. For those not initiated into the Japanese language.. I included.. Tora means "lightning attack," indicating that when Tora was repeated three times that the objective of complete surprise had been achieved. It was indeed a "surprise attack" due to some monumental blunders by both the Japanese and the Americans...all of which are depicted in the film.

It's the same today! I can't edit my posts, only quote. Grrrr...
What is the problem. I'll help if I can.

@Ms. M

There were some nail-biting moments and some "oh hell no!" scenes, but there just were not enough of them.
That sounds like my reaction to The Witch.