Short Cuts vs Magnolia

Tools    

Better film?

It's no secret that PTA borrowed pretty heavily from Short Cuts to make Magnolia.

I love both films. Magnolia is probably a bit more entertaining, and has a bit of a lighter tone.

Short Cuts is much darker, and more depressing, though arguably a bit better overall.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Better film?

It's no secret that PTA borrowed pretty heavily from Short Cuts to make Magnolia.

I love both films. Magnolia is probably a bit more entertaining, and has a bit of a lighter tone.

Short Cuts is much darker, and more depressing, though arguably a bit better overall.

I agree, and would probably go with Magnolia.. I also think PTA took a lot of "Nashville" for Magnolia.. As well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" as an influence on "There Will Be Blood", as well as "The Long Goodbye" to "Inherent Vice" (which I could not get into at all).

I agree, and would probably go with Magnolia.. I also think PTA took a lot of "Nashville" for Magnolia.. As well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" as an influence on "There Will Be Blood", as well as "The Long Goodbye" to "Inherent Vice" (which I could not get into at all).
Yeah, I think Inherent Vice is the weakest link in PTA's film portfolio. It doesn't hold a candle to The Long Goodbye.

As for There Will Be Blood.... I feel Anderson was probably more inspired by Citizen Kane than McCabe and Mrs. Miller in making TWB.