Do people have quite low attention spans with movies today?

Tools    

Young people nowadays have a lot of prejudices for old movies, some other expectations I guess and then theyr not even trying to watch it, or maybe just isnt their thing...but gotta ask, what did you watch next?
Thye used to lack prejudices about old movies?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'm one of those saying tit depends on the mood. Some nights you just don't want anything heavy, and Manhunter is heavy. I wouldn't call it slow...it engages heavily on a different level and there's a lot of subliminal stuff going on, even by way of colour palette. But if bro's are out for a good time, Manhunter ain't gonna do it.
But when my friends asked me what Manhunter was about I told them it was about a detective who has to track down a serial killer before reaching his next target, and they then got interested based on that, and wanted to watch it, until getting bored half way through.

So they knew it was going to be a heavy movie, based on my explanation, wouldn't they?

But when my friends asked me what Manhunter was about I told them it was about a detective who has to track down a serial killer before reaching his next target, and they then got interested based on that, and wanted to watch it, until getting bored half way through.

So they knew it was going to be a heavy movie, based on my explanation, wouldn't they?
If that was all you said, nothing about your explanation conveyed its heaviness. Especially if you said "detective". "FBI profiler" may have given more of a clue to the cerebral nature of the movie, whereas "detective" might make them think more of an action/thriller.

I would say if theres been a shift its probably more in casual viewers of blockbuster style cinema that's moved towards a faster pace.

One example of that which stands out to be is the recent Starwars films, people looked on The Force Awakens as being a return to the style of the originals yet I found it a bit of a rushed and clucked mess. Meanwhile Rogue One which felt far more inline with them was decried as dull and slow.

That makes sense, but I think the reason why people preferred The Force Awakens over Rogue One is that The Force Awakens continues the saga's story into something new, where as Rogue One felt like an unnecessary prequel that doesn't add anything new, kind of Terminator Salvation. So even though Rogue One is not as rushed it just felt like it didn't add anything, so I think that's why. But I can see it being less rushed and more to the pace and tone of original Star Wars movies for sure.

But I don't see how using the word 'detective' implies action movies, since a lot of thrillers have detectives without being action.

Something does not have to correlate perfectly to "imply" it. In fact, the mere use of the word "imply" includes the fact that it sometimes (or maybe often) means it, but not always. If it were always, you'd use a stronger word.

I also told them it was adopted from one of the Hannibal Lecter novels, so maybe they were expecting something different too, cause of that, maybe.

I think theatres are packed with LEGIONS of low span attention people, and that ruins the experience to me. Truly...

I prefer the home video experience, and I prefer to be alone.