Movies you couldn't even finish.

Tools    

To the Swedes our Wallander must have sounded like the equivalent of everyone being from Stockholm.
No, to Swedes your Wallander is like...a British Wallander.

No, to Swedes your Wallander is like...a British Wallander.
Well maybe so . The pronunciations are probably like nails down a blackboard. They did a radio version of Beck with Steven Mackintosh and they were saying the names like it was French.

I was just thinking about equivalents a bit like the way they did it with The Bridge remakes. A lot easier I suppose in that case as you're dealing with two different languages and not regional accents.

This might just do nobody any good.
But in this case the instinct served you well. That movie was ****ing terrible.

I’m surprised Stirchley decided to watch the Norway set thriller starring a German-Irish actor, Swedish and French leading actresses and American supporting players and still found herself a gasp at the lack of native dialect.

Well, any movie which uses English as its main languae no matter which country it's set in would do that to you.
Not exactly. Otherwise I wouldn’t watch American movies.

I specified Norwegian because the subject matter of my OP was a Norwegian movie. The only thing worse than everyone speaking English to each other in a Scandinavian movie is a dubbed movie.

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving
I was just thinking about equivalents a bit like the way they did it with The Bridge remakes.
If I like the original of a show, I very rarely watch a remake. I watched a little of the American version of the Swedish The Killing, but hated it.

Not saying it's a bad movie, in fact it seemed like it was spot on in delivering it's style of movie making, and to that end it seemed to excel at what it was doing. But after 15 minutes I decided I didn't want to spend my evening with it.

If I like the original of a show, I very rarely watch a remake. I watched a little of the American version of the Swedish The Killing, but hated it.
I've never seen any of the remakes actually. I suppose it was quite interesting to do our version of The Bridge as The Tunnel and have it be an English and French crossover.

I’m surprised Stirchley decided to watch the Norway set thriller starring a German-Irish actor, Swedish and French leading actresses and American supporting players and still found herself a gasp at the lack of native dialect.
You’ve missed my entire point. When Scandinavians speak to each other (as they did on occasion in this movie despite its polyglot cast), I would imagine they don’t speak English to each other even if they are fluent in English. I would imagine if 2 Norwegians are alone in a room they speak Norwegian to each other. That was my point.

You oftentimes try to be clever, but can’t quite bring it off.

I seem to remember that Swedes and Norwegians can understand each other conversing in their own languages (I think that's mentioned on the 2011 The Thing commentary). Also that the level of understanding between Swedes and Danes is not as instantaneous as is portrayed in The Bridge.

Well, any movie which uses English as its main languae no matter which country it's set in would do that to you.
Not exactly. Otherwise I wouldn’t watch American movies.

I specified Norwegian because the subject matter of my OP was a Norwegian movie. The only thing worse than everyone speaking English to each other in a Scandinavian movie is a dubbed movie.

Originally Posted by SeeingisBelieving
I was just thinking about equivalents a bit like the way they did it with The Bridge remakes.

I guess I didn't see it as a Norwegian movie. Took place there, sure, but I see it more as a British movie.

I guess I didn't see it as a Norwegian movie. Took place there, sure, but I see it more as a British movie.
I thought that when I was watching Aguirre, the Wrath of God for the first time. A German film, in German, with Germans playing Spanish Conquistadors .

You’ve missed my entire point. When Scandinavians speak to each other (as they did on occasion in this movie despite its polyglot cast), I would imagine they don’t speak English to each other even if they are fluent in English. I would imagine if 2 Norwegians are alone in a room they speak Norwegian to each other. That was my point.

You oftentimes try to be clever, but can’t quite bring it off.
You missed what I was pointing out entirely - that the movie was clearly made with English as the central language, for an English speaking audience and that the casting reflected that decision (see: J.K. Simmons and Val Kilmer as characters named Arve Stop and Rafto.)

Something something about being clever.

the movie was clearly made with English as the central language, for an English speaking audience
Which boomerangs right back to my original point, which was that a movie set in Scandinavia where everyone speaks English to each other makes zero sense.

Because it was meant to harken back to popular Scandinavian thrillers from earlier this decade (it was kind of late to capitalize on the trend here in the US, started by both the original and Fincher’s Dragon Tattoo movie.)

My point still being that the movie made clear it’s reasoning for its presentation and I don’t understand why you expect it to not be what it is. Jeez, I really wish we were talking about another, better movie that deals in a different culture and language but is presented in English for the obvious purpose of being aimed at an English speaking audience. Beasts of No Nation, maybe?

I really wish we were talking about another, better movie ...
Me too, but you’re like a dog with a bone with this one. I bet you never even saw it.

You don’t even need to see it to know the intent but, fine, if you’re also getting tired of walking circles around this movie that is
obviously not being thought of as much by the very people who made it then, fine, I’ll stop and I apologize for aggravating.

Sorry.

Resident Evil 2. Just terrible from start to finish.

An amazing ensemble cast, but an awfully dull movie. I just don’t have the patience to ride out these movies in the hope they’ll improve.

I’ve read some of the entertaining Lee Child Jack Reacher books. Flat dull movie from the start & it never picked up IMO. Again, didn’t have the patience to wait for improvements, if any. I will eventually watch the new JR movie to see if it’s better.

If I start a movie I always try to finish it. How can you give a proper assessment of a movie without seeing it completely? Some movies tie everything up like a perfect bow in the third act.

That said, I was close to leaving the cinema early for Only God Forgives. I found it nauseatingly pretentious. Lots of longing solemn looks with the camera panning in and out with no real emotional edge to anything. I found the story poor, and some of the dialogue unintentionally hilarious.

A shame as I thoroughly enjoyed Drive, and was looking forward to Nicolas Winding Refn's follow-up.