The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Catching up on this...

I've seen:
Bridget Jones's Diary (pretty good, not as good as the book, much better than the sequel Edge of Reason which is awful)
Mamma Mia (this is a ridiculous film but it knows it's a ridiculous film so you can't really fault it. Fun but a bit annoying.)
The House is Black (fairly depressing short)

...didn't vote for any of them though.

A lot of these I didn't get round to watching although they were on my radar before the submission date like Beach Rats, Pariah, Raw. Hoping to get round to them soon. Added The Selfish Giant and Olivier Olivier to my watchlist.

Welcome to the human race...
#72.
Clueless

(dir. Amy Heckerling, 1995)

1 x 6th, 1 x 17th, 1 x 19th, 1 x 21st, 1 x 24th
=
43 points

I seen Clueless for the the Directed by Women's Hof. Here's what I said about it:

Clueless (Amy Heckerling, 1995)

Whiffed, with sporadic outburst of joviality. I was really out of the demographics here. Not much I could connect to in this ode to ritzy teen girls living a rather affluent & pointless life in Southern C.

I did a ripping belly laugh...but only once, and it was at something that turned out to be unintentionally funny, the opening title credits. The film starts off with the 1980s mega hit song, Kids In America, only it's sung so badly that when the jeep with the girls first appears, I was totally sure the very next thing I would see was the hapless girls caterwauling and ruining a great song...which to me was damn funny!...But ha, the joke was on me, as that was no joke song at all, but a real cover by a Southern C. band The Muffs.

Holy Crap Citizen! Get to the point all ready! OK, OK, I will...I liked Alicia Silvestone. I thought she was pretty good too, she was likable and personable. Her two girlfriends were lively as well. But the script had nothing for the soul, nothing for the heart, and certainly nothing for the brain. It was full of funny little stuffy fluff, but it felt unrewarding to me. Oh well, at least I can say I seen it.

I watched Harlan County for this countdown and it ended up being the only documentary I've voted for in any countdown, obviously except the doc specific.

I was planning on watching Clueless for this countdown and I don't know what happened. Ironic I suppose.

9. Bound (#90)
15. Harlan County U.S.A. (#71)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
24. Deep Impact (#87)
25. Private Parts (#96)

I watched Clueless a few years back and thought it was so-so.

Harlan County U.S.A. is definitely on my to-do list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Clueless is Jane Austin by way of Valley Girl speak, so that makes it a double period spoof since a Valley Girl was already passé when Clueless came out. It's still very funny, but not enough to make my list.
Harlan County USA (Barbara Kopple, 1976) - This is a movie which hits home with simple people and I don't mean that as an insult. The families here may speak differently than I do, but I realize how significant the real-life events in this documentary affect the heart and soul of America. It's a powerful film and something which most people nowadays don't even realize although it's recurring: the fact that people live and die, often at the whim of somebody who doesn't really care even how they do or even if they somehow cause it. It was my #21.
Seen 30/30
My List
3. Olivier, Olivier (76)
21. Harlan County, USA (71)
22. Bound (90)

Surprised both of these weren't higher. Rewatched Clueless for the Hall of Fame too. Not a big fan but i don't dislike it exactly either. Not seen Harlan County, USA, looks good.

Clueless

Don't have much to say about this. Felt it was only fair i gave it another chance as i've only watched it twice i believe and the last time had to be eight or nine years ago, feel pretty much the same as i did then. It's funny at times, Silverstone and Murphy are pretty good and it has a decent script; i think it's script is overpraised personally but it's witty at times so whatever. Dunno it feels like the writers have worked extremely hard trying to make every line funny or clever and it just comes across overworked and artificial; all i can see is the writers fistbumping themselves after every line haha. I'm not a fan of the novel Emma but it modernizes it fairly well. It's also annoying, feels much longer than it actually is and is kind of an eyesore. I really don't like the way it is filmed, its use of colour or the costumes. A plus that i don't remember liking before was Cher's journey and the more serious side towards the end, Silverstone did a good job. So yeah it's not a bad film and i understand why people love it but i'm not really a fan.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't see either of these as well.
Haven't actually heard of Harlan and Clueless is one of those that someone else would have to put on to get me to watch it. Who knows, I might not completely dislike the experience, but just not racing to the experience, as it were.

At this rate, this will be my lowest viewing rate for a countdown lol

Watched: 6/29
#4 Voices
#11 Chocolat

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Clueless is amusing, markf has summed up the 'double spoof' aspect. It's a very likeable film but not on my list. Thought it might be higher on the countdown actually.

#70.
The Slumber Party Massacre

(dir. Amy Holden Jones, 1982)

1 x 2nd, 1 x 4th
=
46 points

(Warning: trailer is NSFW)

Slumber Party Massacre was one of my favorite horrors back in the day. I had it on my initial list of contenders, but it had been so long since last seeing it and I didn't watch it again. I didn't vote for it.

You Were Never Really Here is my kind of movie but I just wasn't crazy about it.

Told you it was NSFW.

You Were Never Really Here was my #11. It was my kind of movie full stop.

Haven't seen Slumber Party Massacre.