The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Pariah is about a young black woman feeling free with her like-minded friends but becoming a pariah within her own family for the same reasons. Kelly Reichardt's languid atmosphere runs into her most melodramatic plot in Night Moves which should keep you wondering what will happen. No votes from me.

So far only one from my list is Pet Sematary which came in at number 5..

It has been forever since I have seen it, but it does hold a special place in my heart as I watched it in Germany where I was stationed in the late 80s early 90s. I remember only seeing about 5 movies at the actual theater back then. We always got movies at the theater very late, usually a year or so after release and by that time the family back home sent us a VHS copy. For some reason the local place got a copy very early (for them) and damn the place was packed. The movie itself was quite thought provoking and scary and I need to give it a rewatch soon.

That darn cat!!!!

#77.
Night Moves

(dir. Kelly Reichardt, 2013)

1 x 4th, 1 x 15th, 1 x 18th
=
41 points

This is on my list to watch, probably will see it over the coming weekend - looks pretty good.

pariah was my #11

i thought night moves was pretty lame but it's been while since i've seen it
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
again, missed both of these

Watched: 6/23
#4 Voices
#11 Chocolat

Welcome to the human race...
#76.
Olivier, Olivier

(dir. Agnieszka Holland, 1992)

1 x 3rd, 1 x 7th
=
42 points

Welcome to the human race...
#75.
Bridget Jones' Diary

(dir. Sharon Maguire, 2001)

1 X 2nd, 1 x 17th, 1 x 20th, 1 x 23rd
=
42 points

Seen Bridget Jones, don't remember it. Haven't seen Olivier, Olivier. I have watched Europa Europa from the director tho which i'm sure will be pretty high at least partly due to the Hall of Fame, seems fond of repeating word titles.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey, how many #77s do we have?

Everything about Olivier, Olivier is handled originally and often beautifully.The time-frame changes, the characters and their motivations, the little touches which seem to be throwaways but mean so much, often in unexpected ways, the beautiful photography of the French countryside, and the mounting dread and disturbing twists and turns of the plot combined with the witty dialogue. It was my #3. Bridget Jones Diary is full of big laughs but I didn't vote for it.

Seen 26/26
My List
3. Olivier, Olivier (76 - I think)
22. Bound (90)

Since the first set I’ve only seen Billy Madison and Pariah- both I’d give