What was Straw Dogs (1971) really trying to be about?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched the movie again after a few years and still feel the same way about it as I do not know why certain parts of the plot are in the movie.

SPOILERS

For example, there is a scene where the reverend character comes over to the main character's house for a visit, but the reverend does not care for the main character's views.

However, this is never referred back to again, and the reverend character never becomes part of the plot, so the scene and the character just feel unnecessary.

There is also the underage girl who is trying to get with main character, David Sumner and she has a scene where she is watching David and his wife in bed. This scene also feels unnecessary and it doesn't add anything from what I can tell.

Later on, she tries to seduce David, but David turns her down. She then goes for the mentally challenged character and is killed. However, I do not understand they wrote it so that David turns her down first.

Why not just write it so she goes for the mentally challenged character all along, instead of being turned down by David first? Are the filmmakers trying to say that if David hadn't turned down her invitation, that none of the blood bath would have happened?

If so, I don't think that's fair, since many adult men turn down under age girls, without fearing that doing so, would cause a series of events to happen, that would lead to a blood bath later.

I also do not understand why they had the rape scenario in this story. Basically the villains go over to rape David's wife, and she begins to enjoy the rape with the ex boyfriend villain, but does not enjoy with the other villain after.

However, she never tells David that this happened, and it never motivates the plot afterward. Basically the villains would have attacked David's house to find out what happened to the underage girl anyway, so the rape doesn't change anything in the plot.

Was it put in there for shear shock value and that's it? I got nothing against a rape happening in a movie story, I just feel it needs to further the plot. Maybe if she told David she was raped but enjoyed it as it went along, then that would make David feel emasculated and could motivate him to make decisions to carry the story to a different and perhaps better ending, but since she keeps it a secret, nothing in the plot changes from the rape.

So what do you think, did I miss the points to this movie perhaps?

The movie I think is a metaphor for life. Good people get the short end of the stick and bad people face no consequences for their actions. Dustin Hoffman gets punished even though he is innocent. Everything that happens in the movie to his wife is a kind of punishment for him. In the end until he fights back life keep kicking him in the balls.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
LOL @ "not fair"

As an aside, did anyone see the US vs. England thing? First the Americans wanted get away from England, and then this short wimpy guy goes to their land.. And Hoffman buys his own land in England. And they are working for him.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The movie I think is a metaphor for life. Good people get the short end of the stick and bad people face no consequences for their actions. Dustin Hoffman gets punished even though he is innocent. Everything that happens in the movie to his wife is a kind of punishment for him. In the end until he fights back life keep kicking him in the balls.
But I don't think that everything that happens to his wife is a punishment for him, because him and his wife aren't getting along, and by the end of the movie, he has had enough of her and wants to leave her. So he's not really being punished therefore by bad things happening to her really, is he?

You describe it like it's some DTV action movie.