Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Super Troopers 2

Funny enough to be worth a watch with some good cameos. Beerfest is their masterpiece and they can never come close to it. Then again, nobody can come close to it. My wife laughed out loud several times.

Marshland (La isla minima) (2014)

Even in my rudimentary Spanish I found this compelling without subtitles, both leads are excellent. There is a case that both detectives want to break for different reasons. I know it sounds a cliche but their differences do make them more than the sum of their parts, forming a bond. The case itself is intriguing but its the interaction of the world weary pro and the principled, black-listed main protagonist that make this so enthralling. Very atmospheric. A 9/10

The World's Fastest Indian (2005, Roger Donaldson)

This may not be a truly great film but it's a wonderful, inspiring story based on true events. Anthony Hopkins is excellent.

Man on Fire (2004)

I personally enjoyed the emotional load that Denzel Washigton and Dakota Fanning managed to transpose in this film. A tormented man who believed that no one could or should love him fond redemption in a small girl.

Super Troopers 2

Funny enough to be worth a watch with some good cameos. Beerfest is their masterpiece and they can never come close to it. Then again, nobody can come close to it. My wife laughed out loud several times.
Exactly how I perceived it. A lot of people thought it was terrible, because it wasn't as good as the first Super Troopers (or Beerfest as you mentioned), but it's still a passable comedy.

Marshland (La isla minima) (2014)

Even in my rudimentary Spanish I found this compelling without subtitles, both leads are excellent. There is a case that both detectives want to break for different reasons. I know it sounds a cliche but their differences do make them more than the sum of their parts, forming a bond. The case itself is intriguing but its the interaction of the world weary pro and the principled, black-listed main protagonist that make this so enthralling. Very atmospheric. A 9/10
Good to see someone post about this and that they found it enjoyable, have this DVRd ready for a watch at some point.

Her (2013)

This was a much better movie than Ex Machina in my opinion. I thought the story was perfect in showcasing how an AI could effectively replace human interaction, while still presenting philosophical matters that weigh the pros and cons of it. Joaquin Phoenix was superb in this role. The only thing that prevents it from being a 5/5 is probably the replayability. It would be hard to rewatch this again casually, since there aren't too many standalone "entertainment" type moments.

I don't if he is joking or being serious? I can almost turn that movie off after the Twister starts. Well, not until after Selma Hayek's dance number.
That's what I call a f****** show.

I'm probably stuck in the 90's
It's my happy place really.

Man on Fire (2004) I personally enjoyed the emotional load that Denzel Washigton and Dakota Fanning managed to transpose in this film. A tormented man who believed that no one could or should love him fond redemption in a small girl.
That was the first time I watched Denzel Washington in a full film and I was really impressed. Maybe I wouldn't have been as enthused about The Equalizer had I not seen Man on Fire. To date they're the only films of his I've seen .

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
BlacKkKlansman (2018)

Not quite the Soderbergh movie the trailer presented.

Eye in the sky (2015)

Disappointing claustrophobic thriller that was probably trying to make "BIG POLITICS" about the uses of UAVs in any war. The technical side interested me more than the people sadly. Great cast but not a very strong film. 4/10.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Man on Fire (2004)

I personally enjoyed the emotional load that Denzel Washigton and Dakota Fanning managed to transpose in this film. A tormented man who believed that no one could or should love him fond redemption in a small girl.

I use to adore this film. A recent re-watch made me change my mind a bit. The distorted, shaky, blur cuts were part of what I use to love, now it is probably what I dislike the most.

Regardless of any of that, Denzel is still a badass. The Equalizer pales in comparison to this.

Shell (2012)

Grim story about a Dad and girl (well, 17) living and working in a remote Petrol Station in the Scottish Highlands (unspecified). There seems to be a sexual undercurrent between them both but mostly it seems he's a sad man who has nurtured Shell and home-taught her and knows he cant keep her forever. It seems she is the only person who knows about his epilepsy and theres the rub. Great performances from Joseph Mawle and Chloe Pirrrie. 7/10.

That was the first time I watched Denzel Washington in a full film and I was really impressed. Maybe I wouldn't have been as enthused about The Equalizer had I not seen Man on Fire. To date they're the only films of his I've seen .
Training Day for propa Denzel bad-assness!

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

+

John Ford and Henry Fonda together will make me really look forward to a movie. Ford always creates a beautiful aura and Fonda is a soothing actor to watch. That was the case here but overall I thought it was pretty average.

But urgh, Margot Robbie's CGI head stuck on the body during the ice skating sequences was really weird and distracting...

Yikes:

(for some reason the video of this sequence isn't working/allowed by the video owner..., just search - I, Tonya - Sleeping Bag Skating Scene - if interested in seeing it.)

All About Steve >> 6/10 (funny s**t)