Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Black Panther (2018) (Dir. Ryan Coogler)

So Killmonger is bad because of his imperial tactics... but the movie has you cheering for the actual CIA? Meanwhile Black Panther is a privileged aristocrat who thinks capitalism can fix the terrors it wrought lol. I applaud Coogler for making a Marvel film that felt like its own thing, but beyond the shaky effects and melodrama, the message of the movie is pretty terrible. I'm glad children of color can see themselves represented and celebrated on screen but the real heroes of the Civil Rights Movement were revolutionaries while this is a movie about preserving a hierarchy. I'm not down with that. Long live Killmonger.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The Leisure Seeker (2017)

Lameo flick with some of the dullest writing I've ever seen.

I knew this was a tired, insipid bore in the first 5 minutes. I wish I would have shut it off then, but I made it to 30 minutes...and it was still farcical and it's attempts at humor failed at every fork in the road. It reminded me of some of the lazy writing they did for TV in the 1980s. There was almost no real insight into this aging couple, they were more caricatures then anything real.

So I watched the whole damn 2 hours. Did it get better? Nope! It ended up having the same half a dozen whimsical scenes repeated adnauseum.

If you want a serious and candid film about an elderly couple watch Amour (2012). If you want a fun road trip film that's reflective too, watch Harry and Tonto (1974). And if you want to see pee and fart jokes (which this film has) watch any old Adam Sandler film!

And that's mostly for the vintage 1975 Winnebago.

I remember you saying you had this on your list. Good to see someone else struggled with this, well, sorry I guess.

There's a good idea here, but it was just too hard for me to watch. I grew up watching my mother care for her ailing parents so it had me intrigued, but they didn't manage to do anything with the idea.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

3.5/5

I absolutely LOVED the first Sicario...This one, although still a pretty solid movie just didn't really raise my pulse like I thought it would and hoped it would. Still a great performance all around and especially from Del Toro!

Unregistered User

Atlanta

I have been watching films but not really been able to face posting much although I did finish this series last night. A series about the rap business isn't really something that would usually draw my attention but I noticed ScarletLion and Camo posting about it here so thought I would give it a try. What a revelation! This has to be one of my favourite shows of all time now, although I do have a few. The series tackles more than the music industry, investing in many social issues whilst doing so hilariously. Such a great cast too that you get to know each one so although Donald Glover is probably the star here, he's not the main act. Talking of cast, a special mention has to go to my favourite member, Darius, played by Lakeith Stanfield. If anyone disputes that he is the best character in the series, watch Teddy Perkins episode again and come back to me, that was serious filming right there, I must have watched that back at least 4 times.

Paper Boi, Paper Boi, Paper Boi.

Easy

“I was cured, all right!”
The Cranes are Flying (1957)

★★★★★
Five minutes in, and I was sure that I was facing a masterpiece.
I can watch one hundred of bad movies, if at least one is like this, I'll be happy!

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

This is one of those ultra fascinating documentaries that most people will not see. It's the story of director Alejandro Jodorowsky, along with a dream team of supremely talented production, acting and music people, who in 1975 attempted the ultimate cinematic portrayal of Frank Herbert's 1965 popular sci-fi novel, Dune.

However the various studios were skittish of the production costs and overruns, so they declined financing. Dino De Laurentis eventually bought the rights from Jodorowski's people, and produced another Dune movie treatment in 1984, directed by David Lynch. The movie was a semi-disaster, and a box office bomb.

Many of Jodorowki's ideas and scenes were "utilized" in other productions like Star Wars, Alien, and the like.

Watching this attractive documentary, one only wonders at what an absorbing and innovative film Dune might have been with the Jodorowsky crew in control.

~Doc

[/left]
[/center]

I remember you saying you had this on your list. Good to see someone else struggled with this, well, sorry I guess.

There's a good idea here, but it was just too hard for me to watch. I grew up watching my mother care for her ailing parents so it had me intrigued, but they didn't manage to do anything with the idea.
Have you seen Still Alice (2014) I thought that was pretty great and a very honest looking at Alzheimers and the effects it has on family members.

Jodorowski's Dune (2013)

This is one of those ultra fascinating documentaries that most people will not see.

Watching this attractive documentary, one only wonders at what an absorbing and innovative film Dune might have been with the Jodorowsky crew in control.~Doc
I've seen it:
Jodorowsky's Dune (2013)

Alejandro Jodorowsky director of El Topo (1970) and The Holy Mountain (1973) is the subject matter. He's quite the character too. Call him a dreamer, call him a visionary or call him an ex hippie kook. If he had his way, his film Dune, would have changed the world...or so he says.

....you will be entertained as you learn a lot about the film making process.

Atlanta

I have been watching films but not really been able to face posting much although I did finish this series last night. A series about the rap business isn't really something that would usually draw my attention but I noticed ScarletLion and Camo posting about it here so thought I would give it a try. What a revelation! This has to be one of my favourite shows of all time now, although I do have a few. The series tackles more than the music industry, investing in many social issues whilst doing so hilariously. Such a great cast too that you get to know each one so although Donald Glover is probably the star here, he's not the main act. Talking of cast, a special mention has to go to my favourite member, Darius, played by Lakeith Stanfield. If anyone disputes that he is the best character in the series, watch Teddy Perkins episode again and come back to me, that was serious filming right there, I must have watched that back at least 4 times.

Paper Boi, Paper Boi, Paper Boi.

Easy

Dude We have an Atlanta thread, best show. And yes Teddy Perkins is incredible and Darius is the best character. Love how in the next episode he calms down the girl having a panic attack, that's when i realized he was my favourite.

Watched The Meg last night, thought it was fun for a summer blockbuster. Action packed, funny and some good jump scares.

6/10

Welcome to the human race...
The Amityville Horror -

I will never stop being freaked out by how much James Brolin looks like Christian Bale.

Excellent movie, as is Away from Her.

movies can be okay...
The Game directed by David Fincher

- I was actually planning on giving this a half popcorn lower of a rating, but those last 15 minutes sure made up for the preceding mediocrity.

I Only Want You to Love Me directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder

- Finally! A film by Fassbinder that I like. I always knew that I'd find something of his for me, since I could clearly see how talented the guy is, just by looking at the shot compositions in his movies. Although, the story being what it is, definitely made it easier for me to connect, so I wonder if i could only like Fassbinder when he is specifically tailored towards my taste.

Pariah directed by Dee Rees

- Not gonna lie, I got a little teary-eyed at the end of the movie. Overall, it's pretty solid all the way through, with the last act being especially garnished.

Let the Right One In directed by Tomas Alfredson

- Beautiful. Effective. Subtle. The remake could never hold a candle to the achievements of this original modern horror masterpiece.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke