Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, but it must be tiring feeling like everyone who doesn't agree with your political beliefs must be a heinous person.

The way I perceive a lot of your posts is that you feel you are very virtuous and that if somebody disagrees with some of your specific stances that their only motivation for feeling that way is that they are just bad.

And I don't read all of your posts, so I could be wrong about this. I hope I am wrong about this.
Like the guy said, it's a matter of degrees. I don't assume a person disagreeing with me is automatically a bad person, but then I ask exactly how many bad opinions does it take (and how bad do the various opinions have to be) before the person themselves can be considered bad? Turning it into a matter of metrics probably isn't the answer anyway, but I can shrug off agree-to-disagree stuff just fine - the problem is that those kind of disagreements seem less common or readily observable than the other kind.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
And for God's sake, ENOUGH with the countdowns!

And while I'm at it, ENOUGH with the Hall of Fames!

More Song Tournaments! MORE! It's spellbinding to listen to music.
If we stop this, there's but nothing left for me here

Even Sean and my director thread died.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Even Sean and my director thread died.
RIP Sean. [*]
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What if I said that a person's political beliefs can be used as a means of determining how good or bad a person they are?
I believe this akin to someone saying all Muslims are terrorists.

I'm glad you're posing this as a hypothetical because I believe that this way of thinking is what has actually divided the country. Blaming Trump for that is a cop out.

First of all, a person's beliefs need to be respected, and it's the actions of people that define them, not their beliefs.

Secondly, there are many people on both sides who hold their beliefs simply because they are misinformed.

Don't like Trump's personality? I get that, but I see none of his political actions thus far to be anything outrageous enough to cause the lack of civility between the people that we have.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't know if I should be proud or sad that I drove @Sexy Celebrity mad.

Suspect's Reviews

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Not sure if someone has posted something like this But I think movies are slowly dying and that doesn't help matters.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Not sure if someone has posted something like this But I think movies are slowly dying and that doesn't help matters.
I don't think movies are slowly dying, I think TV is just getting so much better. And people barely talk about television shows here unless it's an HBO show.

It's like that sometimes - easy enough to be nice to people you know, but beyond that it gets a little complicated.
I think it's less that it's "easy" and more that literally everyone is nuanced and complicated, and the only time we can't conveniently forget this is when we know them.

Perhaps there are other such ways, but whatever they are or whether or not they're worthwhile alternatives remain to be seen.
Well, you've spent the last few posts describing how awful it is, so I think we can start with the premise that the bar on those alternatives should be pretty low.

Of course I recall all that, which I think stems from the fact that you and I are saying such radically different things that are liable to be interpreted and accommodated differently.
If you're implying there's some fundamental difference between the two, I don't see it. At least not in the context I'm describing: I was similarly "outnumbered" and found it similarly exhausting, but didn't think humanity was doomed because people stubbornly refused to agree with me. I didn't think the rules were unfair or flawed or that everyone was awful just because I wasn't constantly and immediately winning.

This feels like a larger version of the same thing we all go through as young people, where we have that "why don't we just do X?" posture in response to the problems of the world. And then we realize logistics are a thing, or we Google "moral hazard" one day and hopefully we come out the other side more tolerant, realizing that the problems are problems because this stuff isn't obvious, actually, and lots of smart, well-meaning people think differently. Unless, of course, we refuse to learn that lesson and double down, and insist the system must be broken if the world isn't reshaped the way we think it should be.

Incidentally, if you think I was describing you just then, note how well it describes some Trump supporters, too. And that's the point: if your argument mostly boils down to "but they're awful!" you have to grapple with the fact that they sometimes think you're awful, too. That's why these conventions exist in the first place: they're not tools of oppression or the status quo. They allow people to co-exist amidst irreconcilable differences. They're protecting you as much as you think they're protecting all the awful people over there.

Is there that much of a difference between the two concepts?
I think so. I think one means you're not going to agree, but the other implies you can't even fathom how anyone could.

Besides, they get fought continually if the fight breaks out continually.
Fights break out continually when they are provoked continually. Raising these issues in public is obviously not a neutral act.

Anyway, if your policy is essentially to argue with pretty much anyone who pushes back on the latest progressive causes, yeah, you're gonna find it exhausting. You'd find it similarly exhausting if you decided you had some kind of moral duty to argue with every movie rating you didn't agree with. Nothing remarkable about that. What's remarkable is deciding you need to do this in the first place.

Almost, but not quite. I was thinking of it in terms of how one personally relates to the feelings and perspective of another beyond merely "understanding" why they think and feel the way they do.
I don't think that's real empathy, then. I'm not sure it's possible to genuinely empathize without being able to at least sorta find your way to the belief in question, intellectually.

Anyway, at minimum you'd need a general understanding of conservative thought that isn't just something patronizing about how people emotionally react to change, or whatever. And, to be perfectly blunt, I'm not convinced you really get the intellectual moorings of most conservative ideas.

I don't know what to tell them, especially if they start off defensive. Even when I think I'm explaining something as calmly and rationally as I can I still get people taking it as a personal insult and escalating the matter.
If what you're "explaining" is why something they believe is actually bigoted, then I think the "calmly and rationally" part is probably not a relevant factor in how it's received.

Apparently not, are you going to explain it?
If your posture is "zero sum," IE: there is no neutrality, and that any silence or agree-to-disagree is actually a form of aggression because it favors the status quo, then you've erased the difference between the people who disagree amicably and those that are disagree aggressively. So there's not much reason to be in the former rather than the latter if (when) you feel attacked.

I think there's probably no way to proceed with this discussion unless we actually get into the views themselves, because I think it's really just going to boil down to "but I just find these views horrible." I don't think they're actually unprecedented or unique or special in some way that leaves you no choice but to suspend normal rules of civility and debate. So we'd have to talk about your own views, and whether they're as reasonable as you think. Spoiler alert: I don't think they are. I'd even say some are straight-up logically invalid, and even self-contradictory. Though notice I've not felt the need to force you to defend them each time the issue has come up.

Anyway, I'm up for all that, and I think that's kinda the only thing left to be done or said. Anything else is going to leave us at an impasse where I talk about not hating people for believing different things and you think I'm asking you to shake a Nazi's hand, or something.

It seemed a strange comment to me which is why I commented on it.

Mark has done this for years and all the sudden his desire is gone.

Where is Harry Lime? Holden Pike doesn't check in nearly as much.

Gatsby has been here a bit more lately but not posting much.

Sexy Celebrity is basically gone, or a shell of his former self.

Godoggo up and left. Even a newcomer, Topsy too without a trace. Hit Girl is adios.

It's like the Avengers movie, everyone is turning into dust.

Camo hates this place basicay. Same as MovieMed.

Sean is here but not really.

Honeykid? Basically a 5 minute check in each day. Similar is Miss Vicky.

And it's not like these people are really being replaced.

I fear for a day where Cricket and Citizen Rules don't post. They are pretty much keeping this thing alive, at least from a film talk perspective.

Ummm...what about me?

I'm still around.

And don't worry...I'll keep this thing alive with more song tourneys and my occasional last movie seen rating.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"Luck don't live out here."
As a fairly new member I'm not exactly sure how active this place was in the past, but I don't think activity has dropped that much since I joined. I like this place so I hope it never fades away.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I know... but the real horror story would be if you actually were a fake person. If there actually were people pretending to be all sorts of various types of people online. It may actually happen. It would be terrifying if it was happening here.

Did you find the Weird Al Pop Vinyl toys yet?
It'd also be hard to maintain the same fake persona for thirty years without any noticeable flaws in the narrative.

Oh heck yeah. I got the Weird Al Funko Pop the day it released!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't think movies are slowly dying, I think TV is just getting so much better. And people barely talk about television shows here unless it's an HBO show.
I'd beg to differ with you there. Check out the TV subforum here. I'm in a tidy handful of threads about various TV shows that aren't HBO. Netflix shows, AMC shows, even broadcast TV shows... Tons of great stuff out there (because I DO agree that TV is just getting so much better and more competitive. Bigger budgets, better quality, etc.).