Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Well, my grandmother is pretty far-right, but she's one of the most sweetest, caring people I've ever met.

Yeah, it's a personal example, but it's one that I choose to believe in.
It's like that sometimes - easy enough to be nice to people you know, but beyond that it gets a little complicated.

I'm sure it is exhausting to take stances that morally require you to litigate so many things, and litigate each of them as if they were of crucial importance and perfectly obvious to any reasonable person. But there are other ways to approach the inherent unpleasantness of, well, other people.
Perhaps there are other such ways, but whatever they are or whether or not they're worthwhile alternatives remain to be seen.

And I think you've been around long enough to know that I understand quite well how exhausting that can be. And you may recall that I somehow managed to argue for what I believed without thinking the fact that I had to do so was some kind of horrible commentary on humanity, or a good reason to question basic civility, or whatever other special pleading you care to use to imply that your discomfort with other viewpoints is somehow worse or more valid than everyone else's.
Of course I recall all that, which I think stems from the fact that you and I are saying such radically different things that are liable to be interpreted and accommodated differently.

Whether a difference is irreconcilable is a separate question from whether it's unconscionable, or whether it needs to be fought continually.
Is there that much of a difference between the two concepts? Besides, they get fought continually if the fight breaks out continually.

Seeing as how "understanding where people are coming from" is almost the literal definition of empathy, I'm not sure how you'd go about questioning that.
Almost, but not quite. I was thinking of it in terms of how one personally relates to the feelings and perspective of another beyond merely "understanding" why they think and feel the way they do.

Nobody's asking anyone to be nice to someone who's being crappy to them, if that's what you mean. Though even if someone is being crappy, the context of just what you're insinuating about them probably plays a role. If people hear it suggested that belief X is bigoted or even just ridiculous, yeah, you might get some snippiness from the people who don't think it is. That kinda stuff poisons the well pretty quick.
I don't know what to tell them, especially if they start off defensive. Even when I think I'm explaining something as calmly and rationally as I can I still get people taking it as a personal insult and escalating the matter.

I don't know how you can say something like this right after defending the idea of taking a "zero sum" posture. You don't see the connection there, or how it demonstrates exactly what I'm saying about degrees of disagreeableness?
Apparently not, are you going to explain it?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I rate this thread 8/10
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
This thread seems to have establish SC assumed control of MG's account.

You will never be okay with change until you accept it. There is no way to stop it, only how it affects you.

I think you are great SC, but it just seems like you aren't getting as much attention as you want. Sorry you're not an introvert like me.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I like this place, there are definitely some cool cats, myself being one of them lol. Though I will say the introduction of all the sjw propaganda is getting tiresome. Not so much the content more the approach whereby opinions and words are highlighted and attacked, out of context at times in a real bid to win a battle rather than discuss objectively. We have opinions from both sides and it’s ends up whoever can come up with the last retort however much that has strayed from the topic. Definitely I’m too blame but the majority of my posts I would say would be movie and discussion based rather than argumentative and provocative. Well I’m a bit provocative cos I’m cool lol.

It used to be a lot quieter before all you weirdos started coming around here.

movies can be okay...
I'm just annoyed I can't find an appropriate avatar to use.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I like this place, there are definitely some cool cats, myself being one of them lol. Though I will say the introduction of all the sjw propaganda is getting tiresome. Not so much the content more the approach whereby opinions and words are highlighted and attacked, out of context at times in a real bid to win a battle rather than discuss objectively. We have opinions from both sides and it’s ends up whoever can come up with the last retort however much that has strayed from the topic. Definitely I’m too blame but the majority of my posts I would say would be movie and discussion based rather than argumentative and provocative. Well I’m a bit provocative cos I’m cool lol.

Latest from Reuters: "Rumours of a falling sky have been greatly exaggerated."

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Lol pretty funny to be honest. Credit where credits due

Let the night air cool you off
What if I said that a person's political beliefs can be used as a means of determining how good or bad a person they are?
I would say that you are so wrapped up in your ideology that you don't understand that human beings are more complex than their political beliefs.

I would say that you are so wrapped up in your ideology that you don't understand that human beings are more complex than their political beliefs.
People are more complex than just their political beliefs and person's goodness is not some binary, black and white quality. However, political beliefs can be a strong indication of somebody as a person, and should such views be extreme, intolerant, prejudicial, or illogical, you have the right to call that person using those adjectives.

In other words, a nationalist can help an old lady cross the street, and then beat up somebody he doesn't like. The first good deed means nothing when followed by such an atrocious act. Take a step back in how he demonstrates his political views: "Death to the enemies of the homeland!". This slogan alone makes his political views wrong, and him a bad person - because he openly behaves as a bad person and demonstrates hateful ideologies. Nobody cares Reinhard Heydrich might have been a great husband and exemplary father while he was at the same time one of the originators of Holocaust.

Or I understand that and still don't think that means I should have to excuse people for holding any particularly heinous beliefs.

Or I understand that and still don't think that means I should have to excuse people for holding any particularly heinous beliefs.
Yeah, but it must be tiring feeling like everyone who doesn't agree with your political beliefs must be a heinous person.

The way I perceive a lot of your posts is that you feel you are very virtuous and that if somebody disagrees with some of your specific stances that their only motivation for feeling that way is that they are just bad.

And I don't read all of your posts, so I could be wrong about this. I hope I am wrong about this.

The way I perceive a lot of your posts is that you feel you are very virtuous and that if somebody disagrees with some of your specific stances that their only motivation for feeling that way is that they are just bad.
That's basically me when it comes to movies.

People are more complex than just their political beliefs and person's goodness is not some binary, black and white quality. However, political beliefs can be a strong indication of somebody as a person, and should such views be extreme, intolerant, prejudicial, or illogical, you have the right to call that person using those adjectives.

In other words, a nationalist can help an old lady cross the street, and then beat up somebody he doesn't like. The first good deed means nothing when followed by such an atrocious act. Take a step back in how he demonstrates his political views: "Death to the enemies of the homeland!". This slogan alone makes his political views wrong, and him a bad person - because he openly behaves as a bad person and demonstrates hateful ideologies. Nobody cares Reinhard Heydrich might have been a great husband and exemplary father while he was at the same time one of the originators of Holocaust.
You've used an extreme example, which means I should do a better job of framing my responses, I suppose. I don't mean things like Nazi ideologies. I don't mean any ideologies. I mean specific political opinions people have on everyday issues. Things like opinions on abortions, border security, immigration, dealing with terrorism, etc. I don't think most people's opinions on these issues, left, right, or center, come from a place of moral sh*ttiness.

@jiraffejustin. Fair enough. I admit I wrote this without any context and on purely theoretical grounds. I haven't read those posts of Iroquois you're picking on either.

PS: Ideologies including religions have a huge influence on specific political opinions.

PS: Ideologies including religions have a huge influence on specific political opinions.
Yeah, of course they do. This whole issue is pretty complex. But I don't think it's helpful to label a person who differs from you politically a bad person just because they don't agree with you. Too many people are too comfortable doing that today.

@jiraffejustin. Fair enough. I admit I wrote this without any context and on purely theoretical grounds. I haven't read those posts of Iroquois you're picking on either.
And to be fair to @Iroquois, I don't have any specific posts that I am thinking of that I could quote and post here to prove any point of mine. I might be able to find some if I look for them, but I don't want to do that. This is all anecdotal from my part. I know I could be wrong about this. If you are Iroquois or someone who likes/agrees with Iroquois then my opinion won't matter to you anyway. This isn't coming from a place of dislike or vitriol.