Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

derek knows how Awesome I am.. .
yep I miss you here! great person to talk and great movie taste

You couldn't accept that I was different.. that I had strange likes and habits... you had to pick on something so you did me.

the weird chick with the embalmed duckling..
I find your personality to be very misleading, and I don't blame you for that. I think you inadvertently invite well intended jabs.

I find your personality to be very misleading, and I don't blame you for that. I think you inadvertently invite well intended jabs.
No I don't.. Im just open to my own weirdness.... hey there are many like me out there... how am I to find them?

Yeah, I have that affect on people.
When I came back.. I only made one new friend and we didnt talk that much.. we shared a common interest and that was our main topic of conversation...

Others just ignored me or couldn't accept me.. so I learned .. f** them.

No I don't.. Im just open to my own weirdness.... hey there are many like me out there... how am I to find them?
Just discuss what you like, and focus on that, rather than have meta-level discussions about whether it's weird or whether people can accept it.

Make it about the movies and not what liking them does or doesn't say about you, in other words.

Welcome to the human race...
I have serious responses to this, but this seems like an absolutely terrible thread to discuss them in, so idk.
Considering the standard of the rest of the thread as it is, I don't see how it could get much worse, but you're the boss. In any case, I have wondered if this might genuinely be a factor that prompts users to give up on the place and result in the site starting to stagnate.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Sooo… just to give us some perspective, here's a cute picture of my new GRANDSON, Yoda's nephew, affectionately named King Arthur.

Now, don't you feel better?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180626_172342.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	46698  

When I came back.. I only made one new friend and we didnt talk that much.. we shared a common interest and that was our main topic of conversation...

Others just ignored me or couldn't accept me.. so I learned .. f** them.

I'm sure you're really awesome, you should show the world that. I can be a decent sort too when you get to know me. What do ya say to a do-over?

Hi, MovieGal, I'm MonnoM. How do you do?

Sooo… just to give us some perspective, here's a cute picture of my new GRANDSON, Yoda's nephew, affectionately named King Arthur.

Now, don't you feel better?

I love Arthurian Legend.. its a great thing to read about both fictional and non-fictional... stories and historywise....

I'm sure you're really awesome, you should show the world that. I can be a decent sort too when you get to know me. What do ya say to a do-over?

Hi, MovieGal, I'm MonnoM. How do you do?
Very tired.. its past 10:30 here and I work tomorrow.

you?

Congrats to Austruck, Yoda, and their family.

ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR KING ARTHUR!!!!!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I love Arthurian Legend.. its a great thing to read about both fictional and non-fictional... stories and historywise....
His name really is Arthur! When I got the text the morning he was born ("Arthur is here!"), I thought they were kidding and his name was something else, like Jason or Joshua or something.

Where were we? Oh yeah, bitching about Movie Forums...

Very tired.. its past 10:30 here and I work tomorrow.

you?

Don't mean to hold you up. I'm doing well, thanks for asking. Maybe you'll consider showing up more, we can talk movies next time.

Considering the standard of the rest of the thread as it is, I don't see how it could get much worse, but you're the boss.
It's not that the thread would get worse, it's that it would get lost in the shuffle.

I guess I can nutshell it as: I think your standard for which views are unconscionable (rather than just mistaken or bad) is awfully low, given that you apparently find so many people here to be totally irredeemable in a group that looks, to me, like a relatively normal cross-section.

In any case, I have wondered if this might genuinely be a factor that prompts users to give up on the place and result in the site starting to stagnate.
I hope you'll understand why I'm skeptical of a diagnosis that boils down to "not enough people here agree with me about politics."

But I think you're still in the right general area: I don't think people are willing or able to compartmentalize disagreements any more, and I don't think they have any sense of degree or perspective. I think, when I started this place, there were views someone liked, and views they disagreed with but kind of understood, and views they disliked but didn't despise...and now there's pretty much just "what I believe" and "ideas I despise." And if you despise someone, even for just one belief, it makes it unpleasant to interact with or around them at all.

The solution is simply having the empathy required to figure out how intelligent and well-meaning people might reasonably come to different conclusions.