Is Movie Forums DYING?

Tools    

Isn't Dani8 fighting something? Like cancer? That's what worried me when she went silent. Unsure how to contact her otherwise, though... I do have a mailing address but it's on the other side of the world from me.
Yeah, she was pretty seriously sick. It's a sad thought, but a very plausible one.

In seriousness, in an age when big-scale social media sites like Twitter and Reddit reign supreme, I think Movie Forums is relatively very much alive. Online forums are a joke these days, but MoFo continues to be a great place to hang out, both casually and movie wise - let's keep it that way.
Fosho, and I think the people who say they dislike this place but come anyway must deep down love it.

Isn't Dani8 fighting something? Like cancer? That's what worried me when she went silent. Unsure how to contact her otherwise, though... I do have a mailing address but it's on the other side of the world from me.

Haven't spoken to her in a while, but hope she's doing alright.

Im going to drop this comment here.. and yeah I come back to see who's talking about me..

but seriously.. perhaps if people would watch what they say to some.. they wouldn't leave.. if people would have healthy discussions instead of arguing or calling other names.. people wouldn't leave...

People tend to run other's off.. it isn't about how busy life is sometimes.. its being talked to in a disrespectful manner.

Master of My Domain
My problem with the new members is they're either too young or too weird, even for me.
They're just settling into a new home, I think. When I first joined MoFo, I had a hard time figuring the overall 'culture' of the site. As a result, if you look at some of my old posts, they're a bit awkward and don't reflect my true self.

Creating a welcoming environment for new members is key. Admittedly, it's something I've been falling behind on recently, but it's always on my mind.

Anyway, if someone's just sad some friends aren't here, fair enough. But do me a favor and don't be the guy standing outside the front door effectively trying to talk people out of coming inside.

Post here if you enjoy it on some level, and don't if you don't, but don't stick around just to tell people you don't like it any more. That's not making it better, and it's kinda unfair to people who might want to try to. And it's unfair to you, too, if you really mean what you're saying. Do something you enjoy. If it's not using this place, or not using it any more, no hard feelings. Hope you find something else.

They're just settling into a new home, I think. When I first joined MoFo, I had a hard time figuring the overall 'culture' of the site. As a result, if you look at some of my old posts, they're a bit awkward and don't reflect my true self.

Creating a welcoming environment for new members is key. Admittedly, it's something I've been falling behind on recently, but it's always on my mind.
Wait - are you saying you're not weird anymore, Gatsby?

Ha!

Master of My Domain
Wait - are you saying you're not weird anymore, Gatsby?

Ha!
Nah, I became even weirder.

Im going to drop this comment here.. and yeah I come back to see who's talking about me..

but seriously.. perhaps if people would watch what they say to some.. they wouldn't leave.. if people would have healthy discussions instead of arguing or calling other names.. people wouldn't leave...

People tend to run other's off.. it isn't about how busy life is sometimes.. its being talked to in a disrespectful manner.

In all fairness, I've only ever seen you being disrespectful and elitist toward others. I don't know you (as you've mentioned to me before) but I call it as I see it. You can't expect someone to treat you a certain way when you exude negativity.

I don't have the messages (the receipts) anymore, but I remember it as you basically calling me a troll, point blank. Frankly, I wish I had taken it as just high praise at the time. Maybe I've overreacted, but the event did get to me.
I can try to look it up if you want, but I'm pretty much positive I said the behavior was troll-like. I pretty much never call people trolls, flat-out, even new members.

Anyway, yeah, I think it was an overreaction. I remember being surprised you even disagreed, since you obviously made a point to say lots of outrageous things. Which I was/am fine with if done the right way. A good forum as all sorts of types of people.

I strongly disagree. I don't know why you even feel that way. Outrageous and sensitive is EXACTLY how I see myself, whether you or anyone else notices it or not. So whatever philosophy book you got "you can't be outrageous and sensitive" from.... it doesn't come from my own books.
I'm pretty sure it's just simple fairness: why would someone get to say biting, provocative things to everyone else, but demand nobody talk the same way to them? That doesn't seem right.

If you wanna adopt a "hey, don't take this stuff so seriously" attitude, that can be good. Also good to encourage people to be considerate. But those two philosophies are mutually exclusive, and it's not fair to ask a different standard from others than the one you use for them, is all.

I miss the early days of MoFo, back in the 1950's when we all communicated via mail.

I miss the early days of MoFo, back in the 1950's when we all communicated via mail.
You'll receive +rep for this comment in 3-5 days.

100% agree you can't replace people. You get new ones, and they're not the same. But then, they also do or say things the old ones never would. It's not really better or worse, it's just different. But it'll seem a lot worse if you always just want it to be the way it was and always compare them to the others, rather than just enjoying interacting with whoever happens to come along.

Being part of a forum is a tricky thing, because you have to value the relationships you form and go with the flow when they end. It's tough, and it's not for everyone. I still get sad about it myself sometimes. But that's the nature of the beast.

Master of My Domain
In my honest opinion after observing this forum for 16 years or so..... you can't make a "personality" out of just anybody. Not everyone is going to stand out. If you stand out, there's a reason for that.
But MoFo isn't an exhibit of flamboyant personalities; it's a gathering of people who happen to love movies. Not all people have to be like Yoda or Swan to make this place great again.

As for Caitlyn, us new members have no idea of knowing what she was like - and that's perfectly fine. To me, MoFo is completely sane right now. It actually sounds as if Caitlyn's policies might have restricted the voices of certain members.

Master of My Domain
Ooh, ooh, 'member when we used to send a messenger boy on horseback so he could ride through the Rocky Mountains and deliver thoughts on The Great Train Robbery?

I have always loved you and I am sorry if I've done anything (and I think I have) to make you upset. You were always fun to goof around with, but maybe you didn't like it.
Funny way of showing love... to hurt someone?

and Mommom.. again, you dont know me.. you dont know what I went through.. so I really have little faith in what you say.. you never took anytime to get to know me.. but I can tell you.. if you ask Swan, Cricket, Minio, Dani8, Gatsby, Citizen Rules, Captain Spaulding and even Sexy Celebrity..

They will all tell you how pretty damn Awesome I am...