Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (1978) by Chantal Akerman

Morocco (1930) by Josef von Sternberg

The Big Heat (1953) by Fritz Lang

Les Trois couronnes du matelot (1983) by Raoul Ruiz

+

An eclectic mix of films with the perfect score for a perfect film noir but i was slightly disappointed by the uneven Morocco by Sternberg. Akerman as always has the slow ball running and i might be inclined to think that Les Rendez-vous d'Anna is even better than Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles from 1975.

Ninotchka (1939)

-

I thought this was a very good romantic comedy from director Ernst Lubitsch. Billy Wilder had a hand in the screenplay and I at least seemed to feel his impact. I've been cold on Greta Garbo so far, but in this movie it suits her Russian character very well. Melvyn Douglas was awesome, and I also loved the three Russians that bring Garbo's character to Paris to check up on.

Anybody been watching Sharp Objects on HBO? I didn't see a thread for it. 4 episodes in and I'm hooked. It's gotten better and better every week. Love the mystery and sense of unease. Amy Adams plays one messed up character and she's not the only one.

Prisoners (2013)

Continuing the Denis Villeneuve viewings, I was unsure of how to prepare for this particular film. It isn't my kind of genre, but I figured it would be an exception to the rule much like Sicario was. I did find this enjoyable, though I didn't find it extraordinary in the same way I have found his other films. There were very tense moments, and the slow buildup was executed well. Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman were both superb. However, it was too damn long. There were some parts that, though effective in some sense, could have probably been cut or trimmed. The story takes a few hard turns in a new direction leading the viewer to believe you know what will happen next, but it doesn't turn out that way until the end.
WARNING: "Prisoners" spoilers below

The end was peculiar in that I feel like they should have been very suspicious of this lady and the boy all along...I found it a little hard to believe that the movie circles back around to the old woman, and they happen to catch her at one of the worst moments. I may need some time to think on this, but it just seems strange that they didnt find anything on the property the first time they searched.

Chappaquiddick (2017)

I didn't actually think this was that good, but as a Massachusetts resident, familiarity brought enjoyment. I'm not a fan of the Kennedys, and my wife hates them. She was quite animated while watching and that was much of the fun.

Cavalcade (1933)

I called Cimarron one of the least celebrated best picture winners and then I came upon this one. It's similar to Cimarron in that it's an epic tale told over the course of many years, but it's much less my type. It was ok and I'm not going to crap on it. I just couldn't get into the characters, and as a result, what they lived through. Either way, 1933 was a great year for movies and this seems like an odd choice for the Oscar.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

What an unbelievable example of a director who is completely out of touch with reality. Everybody knows you can't break an iPhone that easy.

Tully (2018)

Good film with good issues and somehow weak. 6/10

Jurassic World. 8/10. While there were certain aspects I didn't like, the special effects were brilliant, the indominus rex was a cool concept (mad murderous mutant dinosaur with high intelligence) and I loved how it paid tribute to the original Jurassic Park and also gave us a really cool final battle. The movie managed to make the dinosaurs feel like actual characters in their own right.

It's a Gift (1934)

My second W. C. Fields movie after The Bank Dick, and I just think he's hilarious. This is 65 minutes of non-stop laughter.

MACARTHUR: (1977).

I have always enjoyed the work of Gregory Peck. MacArthur is no exception. It is not his best film but it is perhaps the most inspirational role of his career. He did win a Golden Globe for his performance. This is the epic story of the enigmatic US military commander's effort to return to the Philippines from where he was forced to leave when Japanese forces invaded in 1942. The 5-Star General is credited with many stirring quotes.. but arguably his most famous one was what he told the Australian people. "I came through and I shall return" Referring of course to his steadfast desire to once again lead his men in the Philippines. He did but it took three more long years after battling bureauocracy at home as well as the relentless Japanese Empire. Many will say MacArthur is a long winded talk fest. Yes it is certainly short on action being essentially a war film. But the excessive dialog is paramount to the viewer's acceptance of the story.