Name The musician/singer

Tools    

Good clues, but I really know his name better than his music. Would I be wrong in saying he was a bit obscure to general audiences, and more of a musician's musician?

Charles Ives
Very good, LL! He was not well known during his lifetime but is well represented both in the concert halls and conservatories today. He was eccentric, unique, and ahead of his time. But his music is very listenable (in contrast to, say, Elliot Carter's). His symphonies are lovely, as is his first string quartet. You can probably find them on YouTube or somewhere.

He had a strong New England spirit in his music-- rather the Robert Frost of composers..

Don’t you Google? Rodrigo is the composer.

Thanks, Doc.

A century after this European composer was born in the 1800's, a renowned Anerican rock band popularized one of his pieces. His music was used in movies as well.

Thanks, Doc.

A century after this European composer was born in the 1800's, a renowned Anerican rock band popularized one of his pieces. His music was used in movies as well.
Johann Strauss?

No. French.

Thanks, Doc.

Would you believe-- I'm just now trying to teach myself on piano Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1? I can play the recognizable famous parts, but I'm not good enough to play the whole thing as written. Maybe I'll transpose and arrange it for my level...

I guess several of his pieces have been used by contemporary writers/musicians. At the time the advanced chords of Satie, Debussy and Ravel were completely new and a little avant-garde. But today they sound natural.

This is a short excerpt from the band that popularized Satie, and this melody was also heard in several films . Perhaps we were both thinking of him, because this sort of minimalist, almost hypnotic tune fits the type of languid, slow moving summer days we are having now. A good accompaniment to floating in a rowboat down a lazy stream , without bothering to move the oars; or setting on a porch with some congenial folks and watching the grass grow til the fireflies twinkle the night.

Can't place your composer. though the face seems familiar. Spookie may know.

This is a short excerpt from the band that popularized Satie, and this melody was also heard in several films . Perhaps we were both thinking of him, because this sort of minimalist, almost hypnotic tune fits the type of languid, slow moving summer days we are having now. A good accompaniment to floating in a rowboat down a lazy stream , without bothering to move the oars; or setting on a porch with some congenial folks and watching the grass grow til the fireflies twinkle the night.
I enjoyed the BS&T's music, and also your description. To my taste, as lovely as their variations are, the tempo is a little too slow.

As far as the above composer/conductor, in later years including today, his hair and beard are white-- which is the way he appears in jillions of photos. He's widely known for his film scores.

Aha....can it be John Williams.?

Hey, guys. Anyone who hasn't yet please consider sending me a list for the Top Albums Countdown i'm hosting. If you're interested just PM me your Top 50 or 25 favourite Albums, thanks.

Here's the thread - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=57516

Any questions go ahead, and if you're not interested just ignore this of course.

To stay on topic: Lenslady is correct haha.

Doc may be the only one who knows this guy, tho not sure he likes this genre - this guitarist was one of the first to be popular in a style that is commonplace now

btw- note for the future- I've been having some cyber- problems, either with my internet or device. If I have to 'take a break' til I figure it out- this is why.

Doc may be the only one who knows this guy, tho not sure he likes this genre - this guitarist was one of the first to be popular in a style that is commonplace now

btw- note for the future- I've been having some cyber- problems, either with my internet or device. If I have to 'take a break' til I figure it out- this is why.
A wild guess Ronnie James Dio?

Could that clue be anymore vague?
Is this the best you can do? Take your time. Look back through all my posts, and find others about which you can crack wise.

I'll make you a little deal. From now on don't comment on any of my posts, and I won't comment on any of yours. Deal?

~Doc