Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

→ in
Tools    

REWATCH #14 - You Only Live Twice (1967) ~ July 28

A very solid Bond film with a cool eastern background. Always liked this one and still do. It's simple, adventurous, exotic, sexy and action-packed.
Infinitely better than the new Bond films!

#83 - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015) ~ July 28

The best thing about this film is its references to old films and its short parodies on them. The rest is decent (certainly capably made), but it never truly gets out of the typical zone of "quirky emo teen film", in my opinion.

I always told you you'd like Russell more than I do, but I'm really pleased to see just how much you're enjoying his stuff.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hitler zombie firing his electric guitar makes this a masterpiece.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

REWATCH #15 - Star Wars (1977) ~ August 4

Continuing the Star Wars spree with my dad. It doesn't get much more classic than this picture.

REWATCH #16 - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) ~ August 4

Still the best of them all, in my opinion!

#84 - Cinema Paradiso (1988) ~ August 4

A classic sweet Italian film. Sometimes I dislike this kind of pictures, but this one pulled on all the right strings for me. I enjoyed it immensely!

REWATCH #17 - Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) ~ August 5

This entry has its great iconic moments (like the one pictured above), but overall it's probably the weakest of the original trilogy. Still a fantastic watch, though!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
REWATCH #14 - You Only Live Twice (1967) ~ July 28

A very solid Bond film with a cool eastern background. Always liked this one and still do. It's simple, adventurous, exotic, sexy and action-packed.
Infinitely better than the new Bond films!
Wish I liked this one more. But I really like Goldfinger and From Russia With Love

You've watched a lot of my personal favorites since the last time I checked in: The Holy Mountain (one of my favorite mind-f**k movies), Repulsion (my second favorite psychological horror, behind only Rosemary's Baby), La Strada (favorite Fellini), A Face in the Crowd (favorite Kazan), as well as White Hunter, Black Heart, which I agree is one of Eastwood's better directorial efforts and a very underappreciated film in general.

Normally when I watch an enigmatic film like Annihilation, I find myself thinking about it a ton and reading theories and discussions online, but the film didn't get the brain cells firing like I thought it would. Lots of cool, memorable visuals, though, and that boar (or whatever it was) with the human screams was straight nightmare fuel. Room started off great, but I thought it suffered from having its emotional climax so early in the film. Recently watched You Only Live Twice and didn't care much for it. Been meaning to work my way through all the old Bond films for awhile, but I don't seem to be much of a fan so the viewings have been spread pretty far apart.

Almost everything I haven't seen is already on the watchlist. As a fan of Linklater and The Last Detail, I really should have gotten around to Last Flag Flying by now, but I keep forgetting about it since so few people seem to talk about it. Heard nothing but good things about Cinema Paradiso, Yi Yi, Your Name and others. Been itching to see The Tenant for awhile. Lisztomania sounds like the type of insanity that must been seen to be believed.

#85 - Brand Upon the Brain! (2006) ~ August 11

Fantastic cinema, as to be expected from Guy Maddin. I did, however, connect a little less with this film's narrative compared to the other two films of his that I've seen this year. That doesn't say that much, though, as I absolutely adored those two.
It's still a highly original and continuously surprising piece of cinema full of weird twists and shocking content. Undeniably Maddinesque!

#86 - Pride & Prejudice (2005) ~ August 15

Very agreeable film. I always love the fine language that's being used in British pictures about this period. The film succeeded in taking me back to Jane Austen's time.

#87 - Sense and Sensibility (1995) ~ August 17

As you can read, I really liked Pride & Prejudice... But this was of a whole other level. I'm not sure if it's the story, the acting or the directing that makes this Jane Austen film so much grander than the one I watched on wednesday. It's probably a combination of all three. This was drama of the highest shelf. Absolutely adored it.

If anyone has any interesting recommendations for films that are set around the same period, please let me know!

Awesome, i love that film too Can't exactly pinpoint why either. I have mixed results with costume dramas and am not a big Jane Austen fan, but i caught that one day and adored it.

REWATCH #18 - Edward Scissorhands (1990) ~ August 18

This was on TV and it had been a while since I last watched it, so it was a nice opportunity for a revisit.
The plot with the archetypical villain may get a bit annoying when this film enters its third act, but there's so much beauty in this film overall that I can't not love it. Winona Ryder is lovely as always.

#88 - Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) ~ August 18

Highly imaginative, logical and hilarious filmmaking, as to be expected from the Wallace and Gromit series. Enjoyed this!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
If anyone has any interesting recommendations for films that are set around the same period, please let me know!
HK may be able to help you on that one; think he's rather partial to a period costume drama. There have also been loads of British TV shows and mini-series that are very similar you might want to check out if it's something you feel you could really get into. Think there's actually been several adaptations of Sense and Sensibility over the years

#89 - Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) ~ August 19

By no means a bad film, as it has a lot of visual inventiveness and cool moments to offer. However, since the moment I read it in highschool, I always thought Bram Stoker's Dracula was a very hard story to bring to the cinema. Coppola certainly didn't do a bad job. I loved the eroticism he brought to it, for instance.
Making Dracula the center of a romance, however, wasn't the best move. They should've done something else with the character if they really wanted to make him sympathetic in any way. They should've searched for the extra layer somewhere else.