Scarlett Johansson and her withdrawl of Trans role

Tools    

Let me make this easy: IF YOU'RE NOT A TRANSGENDER PERSON, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE GIVING YOUR OPINIONS HERE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE SIDING WITH CIS ACTORS PLAYING TRANS ROLES
I disagree.

I'd say more, but you haven't really made an argument, so much as just found the CAPS LOCK button. I give that about as much weight as people interpolating clapping hands emojis between every word in a tweet. Which is to say, none.

(it can only perpetuate the stereotype that trans women are not real women or trans men are not real men).
I'm pretty sure insisting on only trans women for said roles is what does that. A lot of trans women get upset at the implication that they are in any way different from other women, so saying that there's enough of a difference to insist on one over another would seem to add to the problem, or at the very least seriously undermine any attempted expression of solidarity.

I will not tolerate transphobia here.
I'm not sure what it means for a non-moderator and non-admin to declare what they will or won't "tolerate."

Regardless, if you're actually going to group "I think it's okay for actors to pretend to be trans people sometimes in movies" under the word "transphobia," I think you're diluting the term to the point of uselessness. And trying to categorize increasingly nuanced or reasonable positions under incendiary terms over time is one of the things that consistently alienates well-meaning people in discussions about social justice issues.

So obviously, I'm siding with transgender people, and, may I remind you, every trans person has a different opinion, and that there is probably no clear cut answer here.
The second part of this sentence needs to remind the first. If there's no clear cut answer, then the "side" you've chosen can't be described as "with transgender people." And the idea that there's no clear cut answer (which is true, and a great thing to say!) seems at odds with the general instructive tone of the post.

INSTEAD OF MAKING AN ENDLESS COMMENT THREAD HERE
I mean, it hasn't ended yet, but I'm pretty sure we're just having a discussion here, and that people can read things and talk about them, too. Preferably in that order. I don't think a few outspoken people are representative of the community, however.

It's the duty of a thoughtful person to be aware of what other people think. But it is also their duty to come to their own conclusions, and not cede their critical faculties over to whichever group seems the most aggrieved, let alone to whatever sub-sections of that group write the most op-eds.

a) I'll admit this, if only because it still merits consideration compared to Theophile's all-or-nothing ultimatum that is still poised to benefit the established status quo no matter what, whether it's through permitting problematic role-swapping or placing more of a limit on artistic expression than the original proposition would have done anyway.
Sure, it can be defended. But everyone involved is obviously responding to implications. It's the same thing when people argue about feminism, and then they're told "how can you argue against feminism? It just means equality." Even though the "feminist" side is actually suggesting some kind of change and the "anti-feminist" side is actually arguing against that change, and nobody's really just advocating (or just objecting to) something as broad as equality.

Same thing here. Everybody admits racism is a thing, and has historically, in this particular place, hurt minorities in ways that have far-reaching and difficult-to-measure complications. When people argue about racism (specifically, about how or whether to use culture or law to counterbalance it), they're not really disagreeing with any of those things. They're disagreeing with all the second-level implications about how to deal with it.

b) what exactly are the other considerations that I apparently should've noticed behind Theophile's arguments? It seems like every time that I try to explain my reasoning, he just reverts to complaining about me being the one who's perpetuating racism and turning him into a Trump supporter.
He definitely should expand on what he's suggesting, if anything. Theoretically, a good general answer is that reducing people to the group they belong to is dehumanizing, and that the benefits people get from things like race or gender vary tremendously from person to person. You've probably heard some version of this amidst all the post-Trump think pieces, the ones that point out that some incredibly poor, white, laid-off factory work doesn't really seem to have gotten much out of their privilege, et cetera.

Or it could just be a matter of supporting a marginalised group whose concerns could not make such a large impact without people from outside the group to back them up. I question why you assume the primary (or perhaps even only) reason any non-trans people spoke up about this was to be self-important trolls or whatever, but if this thread is any indication then the concept of getting overly involved in complaining about social issues that do not personally affect one's self in order to bolster one's own sense of self-importance is obviously not unique to the far-left.
It definitely isn't, but I think the left more often commits the cardinal sin of prioritizing their expression of outrage over solutions, on issues both large and small. They very often make the perfect the enemy of the good. For example, potentially derailing a movie where a mega star was going to draw positive attention to the difficulties of being transgender because it was only potentially really really helpful and not their Platonic ideal of such a project, with an actual transgender person in the role. And even that is being generous, since such a project would obviously get far less attention, and it is at best completely unclear which would help the transgender community more in the long run.

When people take such a nuanced situation, where not all transgender people want the same thing and it's not even really clear which is better for the group as a whole in the long run, and they still express outrage on their behalf...it becomes difficult not to conclude that the expression of outrage is the primary motivating factor.

Depends on how you define conformity and peer pressure - or social media, for that matter. I could make the case that a message board like this one is a form of social media (its primary function is to facilitate social interaction, after all), which also means that it is still prone to concepts of conformity and peer pressure (or differing perceptions of such). What if I said that wanting to keep Scarlett in the movie was the real conformity here because of how much it fits the existing status quo of casting famous/privileged actors in Hollywood movies regardless of whether or not it actually serves the story it's trying to tell? That's a better example of conformity than the people who are simply trying to promote both individual and communal diversity. As for people being peer-pressured, I advise you to look around this thread and think about which peers are doing the most pressuring.
This is where stuff gets pretty confusing, I think, because none of these reactions are exactly the same as the thing they're reacting to, in either direction.

Peer pressure to not bow to peer pressure may seem like a contradiction, but obviously it's a very different thing. The real equivalent would be people lobbying for a non-transgender person to be cast in this role. Decrying that someone was hounded into abandoning it after it's happened is a completely different thing.

Then how are you supposed to combat it?
I'm pretty sure we had this same discussion in the aftermath of Charlottesville. You combat it the way you combat any noxious idea: draw it out and expose it, over and over.

I may make mistakes from time to time, but I know where the lines are and understand that it's not just about winning for winning's sake - I'd actually like it if civil discussion was all it took to convince people to at least reconsider their opinions, but this thread and many others like it have shown that that is rarely the case (remember Theophile's Colossal thread?).
I think the problem is confusing what works in a given situation for what works in general. Obviously just making a strong, respectful argument will not convince lots of people. The question is whether or not that means you need to abandon it in general. An argument shouldn't have to work on everyone to stop you from resorting to (or excusing) violence, or personal insults, or whatever the next escalation is in a given situation.

I know you have to be the impartial admin who promotes the spirit of civil discussion and all that
This is one area where my personal beliefs about human nature have informed the community's rules. I don't feel I have to choose between what works in political discourse and what makes for a good community.

but I need you to understand that prioritising civil discussion above all else for fear of becoming exactly as bad as your opponent (at least in terms of decorum if not opinions) is not guaranteed to make things better, especially not if your opponent considers civility a weakness to be ridiculed and exploited.
Of course it's not guaranteed to make things better. Literally nothing is. The "fight fire with fire" posture isn't, and doesn't seem to have much of a track record, either.

My attempts at making civil arguments in this thread get less +rep than one-line posts saying "these people should go f*ck themselves" in response to a minority group standing up for themselves, so you tell me what civility is really worth in this case.
It's worth something a lot more valuable than rep.

A system of cells interlinked
[size="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]Let me make this easy: IF YOU'RE NOT A TRANSGENDER PERSON, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE GIVING YOUR OPINIONS HERE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE SIDING WITH CIS ACTORS PLAYING TRANS ROLES (it can only perpetuate the stereotype that trans women are not real women or trans men are not real men). I will not tolerate transphobia here.
Please leave thread moderation to the admin and mods. Anyone who wishes to comment in this thread should feel free to do so, as long they make an effort to keep things civil. By the way, discriminatory policies that restrict people's posting privileges based on race, gender, or sexual orientation have never been a part of the MoFo community, and hopefully never will be. Conversations tend to go more smoothly when not filtered through a prism of race and gender.

If you find something in a thread intolerable, you are free to discontinue your participation in the thread.

Thanks!

Just going to leave this one right here

OMG! You nailed it! I swear I know this guy That was too damn funny, because it's so true!

"I don't actually stand for anything, I just crusade against everything I don't stand for."...Social Justice Warriors, ya got love em

Welcome to the human race...
Sure, it can be defended. But everyone involved is obviously responding to implications. It's the same thing when people argue about feminism, and then they're told "how can you argue against feminism? It just means equality." Even though the "feminist" side is actually suggesting some kind of change and the "anti-feminist" side is actually arguing against that change, and nobody's really just advocating (or just objecting to) something as broad as equality.

Same thing here. Everybody admits racism is a thing, and has historically, in this particular place, hurt minorities in ways that have far-reaching and difficult-to-measure complications. When people argue about racism (specifically, about how or whether to use culture or law to counterbalance it), they're not really disagreeing with any of those things. They're disagreeing with all the second-level implications about how to deal with it.
I just think it's a problem with the discourse where a universally-applicable concept like identity politics is reduced to a reactionary buzzword by those who don't seem to acknowledge that they themselves not only have their own identity politics but are invested in maintaining and enforcing them despite being openly disdainful of the concept itself.

He definitely should expand on what he's suggesting, if anything. Theoretically, a good general answer is that reducing people to the group they belong to is dehumanizing, and that the benefits people get from things like race or gender vary tremendously from person to person. You've probably heard some version of this amidst all the post-Trump think pieces, the ones that point out that some incredibly poor, white, laid-off factory work doesn't really seem to have gotten much out of their privilege, et cetera.
I understand that just because a person belongs to certain generally privileged groups doesn't mean that they themselves are necessarily privileged, though I think bringing up poorness in this instance is only going to reflect how much privilege the rich have over the poor as well (or, to put it glibly, he doesn't have rich privilege). If reducing people to groups is dehumanising, then I'd contend (ironic as it sounds) that wishy-washy "we're all human" sentiment is also, in its own way, dehumanising due to how it implicitly treats the differences between human beings as obstacles that have to be overcome in order for people to see one another as human.

It definitely isn't, but I think the left more often commits the cardinal sin of prioritizing their expression of outrage over solutions, on issues both large and small. They very often make the perfect the enemy of the good. For example, potentially derailing a movie where a mega star was going to draw positive attention to the difficulties of being transgender because it was only potentially really really helpful and not their Platonic ideal of such a project, with an actual transgender person in the role. And even that is being generous, since such a project would obviously get far less attention, and it is at best completely unclear which would help the transgender community more in the long run.

When people take such a nuanced situation, where not all transgender people want the same thing and it's not even really clear which is better for the group as a whole in the long run, and they still express outrage on their behalf...it becomes difficult not to conclude that the expression of outrage is the primary motivating factor.
It's not like this is the first Hollywood project about a trans person, though - movies and TV shows that used cis actors have been drawing awards and general acclaim for years now, but that recognition is coming from predominantly cis people who by their very nature have a limited perspective on the matter and aren't guaranteed to know what does or doesn't count as good trans representation (which is why even Oscar-winning roles like Leto's can still draw criticism for playing into negative trans stereotypes). Hell, Boys Don't Cry is almost 20 years old now so this isn't exactly a new thing. Factor in the "cross-dresser" angle that this movie was going to use and it's all but clear that the people behind this movie were not particularly interested in providing genuinely positive/respectful trans representation in the first place, so this was much more liable to continue a regressive trend than anything (and defies your whole enemy-of-the-good line by not even being good). It is a nuanced situation and all (even A Fantastic Woman, an Oscar-winning film that actually does star a trans woman, has drawn its own distinct criticism from trans people), but I would think that this particular facet would be one of the easier ones to grasp.

This is where stuff gets pretty confusing, I think, because none of these reactions are exactly the same as the thing they're reacting to, in either direction.

Peer pressure to not bow to peer pressure may seem like a contradiction, but obviously it's a very different thing. The real equivalent would be people lobbying for a non-transgender person to be cast in this role. Decrying that someone was hounded into abandoning it after it's happened is a completely different thing.
I wonder what heading the concept of cis people lobbying for trans people to not take the role for fear of typecasting falls under.

I'm pretty sure we had this same discussion in the aftermath of Charlottesville. You combat it the way you combat any noxious idea: draw it out and expose it, over and over.
And as with that, the problem is that doing just that ultimately comes across as an incomplete solution. In the particular context of this topic, the "noxious idea" has been "drawn out and exposed" multiple times in this thread and do you know what's happened? Most people agree with it, or at the very least don't care enough to actively disagree with it. You can't always rely on people to automatically recognise bad ideas as bad because they may very well agree or at least be able to rationalise said ideas through their own perspective (just look at all the people turning this into an excuse to complain about freedom of speech or whatever as if the famous cis movie star needs her rights defended more than the marginalised community).

I think the problem is confusing what works in a given situation for what works in general. Obviously just making a strong, respectful argument will not convince lots of people. The question is whether or not that means you need to abandon it in general. An argument shouldn't have to work on everyone to stop you from resorting to (or excusing) violence, or personal insults, or whatever the next escalation is in a given situation.
I'd like to think that I've given people about as strong and respectful argument as they all individually deserve - I'll do full paragraphs for people who actually seem interested in a proper discussion, but people spitting vacuous bile get blunt retorts (and even then I'll still actually make an effort to point out the fault in their post rather than resort to basic insults). These people start off escalated, but it's me who gets questioned - I can only assume it's because you don't want me to lower myself to their level.

This is one area where my personal beliefs about human nature have informed the community's rules. I don't feel I have to choose between what works in political discourse and what makes for a good community.
I think this might be part of the problem.

Of course it's not guaranteed to make things better. Literally nothing is. The "fight fire with fire" posture isn't, and doesn't seem to have much of a track record, either.
Neither does the "do nothing" posture, especially not in this case.

It's worth something a lot more valuable than rep.
Then what's the point of having rep? The numbers on a post indicate how many individual users are willing to validate what's written in the post (even if they don't necessarily do so in public), so it's worth noting exactly which posts do draw rep and why. Like I said before, the least civil post in the thread is also one of the highest-repped, so it's not me you need to convince about the merits of civility.

I just think it's a problem with the discourse where a universally-applicable concept like identity politics is reduced to a reactionary buzzword by those who don't seem to acknowledge that they themselves not only have their own identity politics but are invested in maintaining and enforcing them despite being openly disdainful of the concept itself.
If you think "identity politics" is just a "buzzword" that is "universally applicable," then I'm certain you've misunderstood the term.

Identity politics is a description of the tendency to describe people in terms of groups, rather than individuals, as well as the assumptions made about their circumstances, beliefs, and motivations based on which groups they belong to. Basically, using the groups people belong to as some kind of dispositive shorthand for who they are.

What you seem to be doing is treating any rejection of your proposed changes as an endorsement of the status quo and everything that's resulted from it. That simply doesn't follow, and wouldn't be an expression of identity politics even if it did.

I understand that just because a person belongs to certain generally privileged groups doesn't mean that they themselves are necessarily privileged
Given that you understand this, does it follow that you understand why someone would bristle at using those groups as shorthand for privilege, let alone as the basis for determining who should or shouldn't get priority or special treatment to rectify it?

If reducing people to groups is dehumanising, then I'd contend (ironic as it sounds) that wishy-washy "we're all human" sentiment is also, in its own way, dehumanising due to how it implicitly treats the differences between human beings as obstacles that have to be overcome in order for people to see one another as human.
The obvious difference is that defining people based on their group is inherently and unavoidably dehumanizing, whereas the dehumanization you're contending is indirect and speculative.

Obviously, it's really easy to contend all sorts of contradictions if you're willing to layer uncharitable speculation on top of what people are saying. But if you don't want to just be fruitlessly insulting them or getting cheers from people who already agree with you, at some point you need to argue from a shared premise. And that means actually making a good faith effort to understand how a reasonable person might take the other side.

It's not like this is the first Hollywood project about a trans person, though - movies and TV shows that used cis actors have been drawing awards and general acclaim for years now, but that recognition is coming from predominantly cis people who by their very nature have a limited perspective on the matter and aren't guaranteed to know what does or doesn't count as good trans representation (which is why even Oscar-winning roles like Leto's can still draw criticism for playing into negative trans stereotypes). Hell, Boys Don't Cry is almost 20 years old now so this isn't exactly a new thing. Factor in the "cross-dresser" angle that this movie was going to use and it's all but clear that the people behind this movie were not particularly interested in providing genuinely positive/respectful trans representation in the first place, so this was much more liable to continue a regressive trend than anything (and defies your whole enemy-of-the-good line by not even being good). It is a nuanced situation and all (even A Fantastic Woman, an Oscar-winning film that actually does star a trans woman, has drawn its own distinct criticism from trans people), but I would think that this particular facet would be one of the easier ones to grasp.
These arguments are starting to contradict one another. On one hand, trans people are horrendously underrepresented, right? On the other hand, when someone uses that fact to advocate for the film, suddenly that's downplayed and it's "not like this is the first." But the fact that you listed just a few examples over decades (and that they were the same ones most people would think of if asked to list examples of these kinds of films) pretty clearly speaks to how few there have been.

Anyway, the relevant point is that this is a legit question, enough that I don't think someone can pretend to be clearly or directly advocating for trans people by derailing the film. And I'll note that none of the above addresses what I mentioned earlier, about trans people who are upset by the mere insinuation that there's a difference at all between women and trans women.

If we have something many trans people don't necessarily agree with, and which won't necessarily help them in the long run, it's hard to see how someone who put their welfare as their top priority would feel comfortable fighting on behalf of it, given the uncertainty of those things. It seems more like it's just another front in the culture war, fought out of reflex. Like determining which side of the battlefield you belong on based on seeing which kind of people are already lined up where.

I wonder what heading the concept of cis people lobbying for trans people to not take the role for fear of typecasting falls under.
Dunno, but that's another question. The salient point is that the comparison between a suggestion and its response isn't valid. Someone bowing to cultural peer pressure on behalf of some sub-group is not the same as "peer pressure" not to do that, because the former is an argument not to do something and the latter is an argument that people should decide whether or not to do it on their own. Calling that "pressure" is like saying someone "forced" you to be free.

And as with that, the problem is that doing just that ultimately comes across as an incomplete solution.
If you think the validity of a standard should be based on whether or not it helps you win a particular cultural fight, I guess. But that's a pretty bad way to form cultural norms.

In the particular context of this topic, the "noxious idea" has been "drawn out and exposed" multiple times in this thread and do you know what's happened? Most people agree with it, or at the very least don't care enough to actively disagree with it.
What "noxious idea" have people been agreeing with, exactly? The idea that it's not necessarily a travesty to have a non-trans actor play a trans person in a film? The idea that people shouldn't be able to use certain accusations and words as if they were spells that need only to be uttered to gain power over the accused?

Seems like the problem here is not that people are cheering on awful ideas, but that any disagreeable idea can be labeled awful. There should be a lot of daylight between "ideas I don't agree with" and "noxious ideas." If there's not, then something has gone very wrong, ideologically.

You can't always rely on people to automatically recognise bad ideas as bad because they may very well agree or at least be able to rationalise said ideas through their own perspective
Well, yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I just said, where I mentioned that you can't judge the overall effectiveness of political civility based on just "did I win the argument?" or "did I convince the people I was talking to?"

Literally none of the arguments for free speech or civility or even democracy itself are "people always get it right," and there's no system or behavior that will make them get it right, either, so I'm not sure why you think this is an objection. All good systems of government or cultural reinforcement are about failing gracefully, and how to correct mistakes over time.

(just look at all the people turning this into an excuse to complain about freedom of speech or whatever as if the famous cis movie star needs her rights defended more than the marginalised community).
That's not how rights work. And this is a really good illustration of what I mentioned earlier:

As far as I can tell, there are different rules for one group or another depending on whether or not they're a minority group, or otherwise deemed a protected class by some non-specific, mostly self-chosen group of activists and advocates.
I'd like to think that I've given people about as strong and respectful argument as they all individually deserve - I'll do full paragraphs for people who actually seem interested in a proper discussion, but people spitting vacuous bile get blunt retorts (and even then I'll still actually make an effort to point out the fault in their post rather than resort to basic insults). These people start off escalated, but it's me who gets questioned - I can only assume it's because you don't want me to lower myself to their level.
You have, in the past, complained both of people not addressing your arguments, and of me addressing yours rather than others, so I'm not really clear on what you want out of any of this. Ideally, we'd just have a conversation without you parsing my motivations for having it or trying to audit who I pay attention to.

Anyway, there are lots of reasons I'm replying to you right now and not other people, but one of the bigger ones is that I think our disagreements are more fundamental, and intelligent people willing to question fundamental rights are ultimately a lot more dangerous (however well-meaning) than thoughtless bigots, which we've always had and probably always will have, but which we can't be rid of without making things a lot worse.

That's what I suspect most of this boils down to: seeing bigotry (with an increasingly broad, diluted, and unforgiving definition, no less) as some kind of existential threat that justifies curtailing even fundamental rights, if necessary. With "if necessary" being similarly diluted to effectively mean "any time my side doesn't win a cultural argument quickly enough."

Neither does the "do nothing" posture, especially not in this case.
Imagine my relief to have literally never advocated a "do nothing" posture, then. See earlier reference to the status quo and how the rejection of a proposal does not imply endorsement of the things it purports to fix.

Then what's the point of having rep?
Giving people a way to express support for an idea without just fruitlessly repeating it, mainly.

Regardless, I disagree with the implication this question is based on, since I just looked up the most-repped posts in the thread and the ones at the very top are pretty substantive.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
This thread has really sparked my interest but it’s been difficult to keep up with. Certain users use a lot of words rather then keeping their responses concise. This is not something rewarded in a professional environment however I acknowledge this is a leisure site regardless of how serious some of the topics become.

The points from various users that stick with me are: That the popularity of this film would seemingly be hampered without Scarlet Jo. You can speculate in terms of the greater good of this– from both sides. So various arguments could be made for and against but generally they are all speculative.

The targeting of Scarlet Jo specifically and aggressively (with demands), prior to seeing her actual performance was perhaps distasteful and maybe campaigning the inclusion of trans actors could have been handled differently - without a victim. Dismissing her adoption of the role as only an avenue for an Oscar is…a simple and distasteful conclusion however who knows, what if its true. Maybe it was also premature given her performance in the role cannot be judged although this goes against the campaign to have a trans actor in the very role.

Maybe less aggressive campaigning was and is being done and just didn’t make the news. However the demands of certain trans community members did. I personally won’t draw conclusions that this is representative of the whole.

Has the trans community achieved their goal of opening a conversation re trans actor? Mission accomplished however the manner in which it was campaigned leaves one to ponder how persuasive it has been. A marginalised group advocating for equal civil rights yet demands and victimises a seemingly wholesome individual. From my perspective it’s highlighting a sub divide between humans. Not sure if its objectively fair and if its argued to be fair in relation to past wrongs then it retaliatory.

I’m not able to look at her contract but I assume Scarlet Jo did have a choice and she chose to leave. Would the film have suffered without the approval of certain members of the trans community who knows? Will it suffer now? Who knows. Regardless of the pressure/demands she was free to do as she was. She was at liberty, which is a nice consolation after talk of liberty being taken away/limited on this very thread. The topic of liberty needs to be treated carefully – it’s not something to say off the cuff. Millions have died fighting for liberty, assuming most of us here are from western countries. Other than general rebellion against such statements (which I've done) maybe it deserves its own seperate thread.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Theoretically, a good general answer is that reducing people to the group they belong to is dehumanizing, and that the benefits people get from things like race or gender vary tremendously from person to person. You've probably heard some version of this amidst all the post-Trump think pieces, the ones that point out that some incredibly poor, white, laid-off factory work doesn't really seem to have gotten much out of their privilege, et cetera.
yeah, that's a misunderstanding. the argument isn't that by being white your life is automatically easier and more awesome than every non-white person; it's basically saying that if you put 2 men, that are in the same situation in almost every way (financially, location-wise, education, etc), yet one is white and one is black, the one who is white has advantage and privilege over the one who is black, and is more likely to have better opportunities, better connections, and will probably succeed faster than a black man.

i've had this conversation in a lot of comment threads over the years. there's always one poor white guy who was the only white kid at his school and grew up as a minority on there that can't wait to tell me how he has no privilege.

yeah, that's a misunderstanding. the argument isn't that by being white your life is automatically easier and more awesome than every non-white person; it's basically saying that if you put 2 men, that are in the same situation in almost every way (financially, location-wise, education, etc), yet one is white and one is black, the one who is white has advantage and privilege over the one who is black, and is more likely to have better opportunities, better connections, and will probably succeed faster than a black man.
Totally agree. I think there is often a misunderstanding, but I think it comes both from people disputing the idea of privilege and on the part of those invoking it. You thoughtfully used the phrase "more likely." I think that's the kind of nuance that gets left out sometimes. Like any explanation, there's the reasonable version and the hand-wavey and dismissive version.

Of course, the people pushing back on it could suggest that kind of clarification, too. Anyone involved can avoid the misunderstanding if they bother to try.

i've had this conversation in a lot of comment threads over the years. there's always one poor white guy who was the only white kid at his school and grew up as a minority on there that can't wait to tell me how he has no privilege.
Well, yeah, people resent having their life generalized away, particularly in the service of criticizing them somehow. Why roll eyes at that? I guess someone can say it misses the point, but too often I hear some version of "oh boo-hoo white guy felt left out. Still white tho" in response to a relevant personal experience.

I feel like arguments about race and prejudice have done a weird 180, where for a long time it was claimed that generalizations were often thoughtless. And then at a certain point they kinda became okay again (think: the sarcastic response to #NotAllMen, cracks about fedoras and neck beards and whatnot) as long as they weren't targeted at historically disadvantaged groups. To a lot of people, this feels like a shifting (or even double) standard. A bigot-and-switch, if you will.

I can very much get behind the original notions of equality and individuality, but I'm growing pretty concerned that for some people these were/are real principles, and for others they were just a useful counter-position to conservatives at the time, only to be abandoned or modified when it's more useful to entrench in a different place a couple decades later.