When did you fall in love with the film?

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There are many moments, at least for me, when I'm watching a film and at a certain point I think to myself "I'm going to love this" or "I already love this".

Has that ever happened to anyone? If so, what moment in the film made you think that? Was it a single shot? A simple scene? Something extravagant? A lot of times it happens very early on in the film.

Here are some moments for me:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

When those lips came up on the screen, I knew that this film would be something different and something I really adore.

Mad Max: Fury Road

I have no idea why, but when these two credits hit the screen, I had a giant smile on my face. I knew this would be one of my favourite films of the year.

The Matrix

My uncle took me to see this in theatres and that opening was something I don't recall ever seeing before. Right then I knew this film would be something more than a typical action film and it cemented itself as one of my favourites.

The Dark Knight

Cliched choice? Maybe, but this opening sold me instantly and cemented this film as my favourite Batman film.

Suspect's Reviews

Please hold your applause till after the me.
There are two moments that defined my love of cinema.

One, when I saw the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films. They showed me just exactly what films can be, that they can be more than entertainment, that they are actually art.

The second one was Goodfellas, it was the first film I watched when I fully realized that there was a director behind the camera, that there was skill put into making films. I learned all about the art of direction from one man, Martin Scorsese, who to this day, is still my personal icon.

“I was cured, all right!”

Police Story and Bloodsport make me a big fan of movies. I was just 7 when I fall in love with movies. Back in that time I was a big fan of Kung Fu movies (I'm a big fan till date), but one day, one movie changes my life forever, it opens my mind for more genres and it is responsible for a new point of view in cinema, this movie was a revolution in my life. 17 after still one of the most awesome movies ever made. It was the first time in my life that I could watch a movie twice in one day:

This is the responsible for my deep love with cinema in general.

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!
Probably when i watched "The Game" (this happend about 8-9 years ago).i was amazed at that time to see how complex a movie can be.Then i stared to discover other movies and directors Kubrick,Tarantino,Spielberg,etc.Also there are a few romanian movies that i really like and i was influenced by them to start watching good movies.And now as a psychology student i can say movies helped me to make this decision.

There are many moments, at least for me, when I'm watching a film and at a certain point I think to myself "I'm going to love this" or "I already love this".

Has that ever happened to anyone? If so, what moment in the film made you think that? Was it a single shot? A simple scene? Something extravagant? A lot of times it happens very early on in the film.
Well, in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen it would have been the bit where Berthold's cutting it a bit fine on getting back with the bottle of Tokay, and what ensues after. I love that .

The Matrix

My uncle took me to see this in theatres and that opening was something I don't recall ever seeing before. Right then I knew this film would be something more than a typical action film and it cemented itself as one of my favourites.
Absolutely agreeing with The Matrix. Back in the day that really was something special and still one of the best openings.

Let the Right One In

I just love the scene where Eli tells Oscar to hit back. It's good character moment and it's something I philosophically agree with as well.

Earliest memories would be watching Home Alone in the theatre. My first visit to one and falling in love with movies.
Beyond that:

Almost every moment of Dr. Strangelove.

The climax of Lootera. It's a gorgeous movie as a whole, but that climax just left me with a smile on my face.

The 'Mesa' scene from Blade Runner 2049. The sights and sounds of that scene are just magic. I was enjoying that movie till that point, but that scene got me hooked - proper!

The bike journey in Motorcycle Diaries, coupled with Santaolalla's music.

The father and son's bike scenes from The Place Beyond the Pines.

The end shot of The Third Man. I liked the movie, but I rewatched that shot again and again. It's beautiful.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
What Dreams May Come hit me pretty hard. Especially the scene in which he has found his wife, Annie, and tells her all that he loves her, misses her, and that he is sorry for failing her. I loved the movie, in spite of a few goofy moments, but this scene just accents the entire experience for me. The long take on Williams, his eyes patiently searching for just the most efficient and perfect final words, and his sacrifice for his true love, all clinched it for me that this movie was crushingly sentimental.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Well, in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen it would have been the bit where Berthold's cutting it a bit fine on getting back with the bottle of Tokay, and what ensues after. I love that .
I adore The Adventures of Baron Munchausen! With it, I'd add The Time Bandits when the bandits first enter the boy's room, pushing the wall to escape the Supreme Being.

Might as well throw in The Fisher King too! Williams again...

Sort of associated, but I've always loved this scene in Fearless. There's something about the contrast of soundtrack and his character's absolute calm in walking to sit with the boy while they may potentially die, against the chaos of the action here that pulls me right in.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
(I learned the truth at) 17, senior year in high school. I had a Blockbuster rewards membership, and I'd watch 2 a day.. The Godfather and On The Waterfront were the early favorites, later A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver..

To mention another Christopher Nolan film, Inception really drew me in after the opening scene. They need to make a sequel for this movie....haha

Probably around 1981, 1982, when I saw "Escape from New York" or "Green Ice", or "Treasure of the Four Crowns" ....some films, even ones I didn't just mention, had a "sophisticated" sound design, and by that I mean, there was something about the dialog and delivery, tempo of dialog via editing, something almost self meditative, as if one were talking to oneself, and whatever was said, was being said with extreme deliberation and an almost quiet decadence.

Important stuff, or, stuff that was above your head, but nonetheless, kind of alluring and curious. "Blade Runner"'s design was and is amazing. "Looker" is a prime example of this, too.

Anyway,..I think that's when film really said something to me,. There was definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, something in the air during that era. An adult sophistication that was very..ah, I dunno, It's tough to say. And I guess that's why it caught me. You cannot explain it.

Some films worth mentioning that got the bug bite into me were;

Superman II
Looker
Green Ice
Escape from New York
Spiderman
Live action tv show (again, something about the pace and quiter moments contrasted with the random interference of action - not dialog so much, but movements)
The Thing (1982)
Octopussy

Yeah, so..basically that era..the early 1980's..black and white tv with cable television at Dad's house...a forbidden fruit..and I was very young so...I'm sure my imagination invented my current assessment of what happened. I bet if I were to watch all of these films again I'd be scratching my head thinking "huh?"

Then again, I did see "Looker" recently, and it did hold up in that spaced dialog regard, so...

I still believe in the magic. You have to believe in that stuff. It's the only way to make something worthwhile.

I think the moment I fell in love with movies, like, as a concept, before I even understood what they were or what that feeling I was feeling was, was the opening shot of 'The Lion King'. To this day the shot of the sun rising as the circle of life plays is so seared into my memory. It's like the Big Bang of cinema for me.

Another big like, seminal image for me from my childhood is obviously the 'binary sunset' moment from A New Hope.

Also the moment when the Mach 6 passes through the Mach 4 at the apex of a jump as they transition from a flashback to Speed's race at Thunderhead in Speed Racer gives me chills unlike almost any other movie (that movie generally is fantastic and scratches an itch for me cinematically that literally nothing else scratches).

More recently, my current favorite film of all time (a phrase I think is a bit silly but still) Moonlight has a moment in the first act of the film where little Chiron is sitting eating dinner with Juan and Teresa and he turns to Juan and asks him, "What's a f*ggot?" and it's such a powerfully intimate and disarming moment in a film filled with powerfully intimate and disarming moments and the amount of emotions and thoughts that play out in Alex Hibbert's face as Chiron and Mahershala Ali's face as Juan and Janelle Monae's Teresa in that moment where everyone is processing what was just said is just so real and powerful and it's the moment, in a film I already was loving, that I knew I was watching something that was going to pierce its way right through to my heart. There are other moments I like more in the film (the second to last shot is probably my favorite shot in like, any film, ever, maybe) but that was the first moment that pushed the film into its own category of excellence for me.

I could probably pick out moments in like 100 more films like this but these are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head

I’m definitely too jaded to believe, a single scene or a great sequence is going to make an entire film. But I think a great film strings together at least three or four Falconetti moments, where something … luminious happens, which could be anything; an unusual font in the opening credits, a bit of acting business or a great piece of music.

The last time this happened was during Paris, Texas when they are screening old home movies, and his son, Hunter watches his father, and judging from his reactions to the film, he still loves him and his mother. After the home movie ends, Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) puts his arms behind his head and leans back in the couch, and accidently touches his son with an elbow and he recoils, startled by him, who has walked over to stand beside him. I thought, wow, that was gorgeous.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I can't remember the exact moment, but there is one that sticks out in my mind.

The 80's and videotape are as pb and jelly as mall pop and aquanet. The local video tape purveyor was a place call Action Video. If we were lucky, we got to go when we went to town (≈ 20 mins away) . Being a typical kid, I was eavesdropping the desk jockey's conversation while pouring over a Delta Force or Eddie and the Cruisers box.

"It was amazing...never seen an alien like this...at the end there was this huge mushroom cloud..."

Dad... What's a mushroom cloud? LSS. It brew my blains out.

Now, if we are talking about "What movie provoked a deep-seed love of Huey Lewis and the News..."

I fell in love with cinema, when i was a teenager. My friend has shown me Wim Wenders movies and i was fascinated with this beautiful and deep stories.