Scarlett Johansson and her withdrawl of Trans role

Tools    

Fact:

Or versions of classic plays like Othello with an all black cast (except for the now traditionally played by a black man role of Othello himself).

http://www.playbill.com/article/patr...v-17-com-72158

It was considered daring and bold. If a traditionally all black play was being played by an all white cast, though, the protests would stop freeways and people would riot and scream racism and bloody murder.

Opinion validated by observation (nigh facts):

According to the liberals, it is o.k. to replace white historical figures and roles with non-white actors or actresses, but it is horrible, horrible "whitewashing" to replace non-white historical figures and roles with white actors or actresses.

Personal rant:

I hate double-standards. I loathe, abhor and despise them. Pick one rule and stick to it, but the left never will because they need it to always be malleable to whatever they need it to be at that moment.

/end rant
It’s not about double standards. That’s like saying rich people should pay exactly the same tax as poor people or if an elderly person is struggling on the bus we shouldn’t offer to give up our seats.

Some people have more privilege than others- isn’t it better to give people who don’t have that privilege a chance rather than perpetuating the inequality?

As for the topic, I think Scarlett Johansson does deserve a good role. I suppose the filmmaker has to weigh up authenticity with how much money the film is likely to make- although arguably if it’s good enough, it might get award recognition and that would give some exposure.

"Straight white male" is itself a set of identity politics and, historically speaking, championing it above all others is literally the worst kind of identity politics - the left (and maybe even part of the right) is not insane for daring to oppose that out of a sense of the greater good. If you do decide to support Trump, a man who built his presidency on said identity politics, then you effectively forfeit the right to complain when people associate you with his own considerable toxicity.

This is why Trump won. If I say that I am for a non-racial, non-sexist existence, somehow I am racist and sexist. Goodbye and good luck. I wish you happiness in your life, but I know that you may never find it, since you can never be happy with your Leftist views.

Welcome to the human race...
This is clearly a motte-and-bailey. The objection is not to someone simply noting that "one race has historically benefited more," and I think you must know that. The objection is to:
a) noting this in the service of advocating some kind of specific change in policy, either through law or with cultural pressure.

b) assuming this is the primary (or even only) consideration in any given situation.
Duly noted. That being said:

a) I'll admit this, if only because it still merits consideration compared to Theophile's all-or-nothing ultimatum that is still poised to benefit the established status quo no matter what, whether it's through permitting problematic role-swapping or placing more of a limit on artistic expression than the original proposition would have done anyway.

b) what exactly are the other considerations that I apparently should've noticed behind Theophile's arguments? It seems like every time that I try to explain my reasoning, he just reverts to complaining about me being the one who's perpetuating racism and turning him into a Trump supporter.

I see my post was prophetic
You dropped the same "this is why Trump won" line that centrists have been using ever since he got elected - it's not so much prophetic as the latest instance of a long-established phenomenon.

Yes I blame extremist like this movie issue for partially giving rise to Trump...BUT in the same vein the extreme actions of Trump and his more fervent followers causes a backlash in the left. Which gives us the old chicken and egg, who causes these backlashes first? lefties? righties? No to both...
I think you'd have to trace it to back before modern concepts of left- and right-wing politics truly formed, all the way back to which groups first decided to oppress which other groups. Which came first, the racist or the anti-racist?

I suspect the vast majority of outrage didn't come from the transgender community, it came from bored kids in their mom's basement typing out social justice messages on Twitter & Facebook, stirring up the pot and trying to feel important.
Or it could just be a matter of supporting a marginalised group whose concerns could not make such a large impact without people from outside the group to back them up. I question why you assume the primary (or perhaps even only) reason any non-trans people spoke up about this was to be self-important trolls or whatever, but if this thread is any indication then the concept of getting overly involved in complaining about social issues that do not personally affect one's self in order to bolster one's own sense of self-importance is obviously not unique to the far-left.

I'm not a fan of social media, it's like a world wide extension of the old high school BS conformity. Back in the day when kids grew up and left school, they left the idea of conforming to peer pressure behind them. But thanks to Twitter and Facebook, this peer pressure (aka PC think) goes way beyond high school and has more effect than it should.
Depends on how you define conformity and peer pressure - or social media, for that matter. I could make the case that a message board like this one is a form of social media (its primary function is to facilitate social interaction, after all), which also means that it is still prone to concepts of conformity and peer pressure (or differing perceptions of such). What if I said that wanting to keep Scarlett in the movie was the real conformity here because of how much it fits the existing status quo of casting famous/privileged actors in Hollywood movies regardless of whether or not it actually serves the story it's trying to tell? That's a better example of conformity than the people who are simply trying to promote both individual and communal diversity. As for people being peer-pressured, I advise you to look around this thread and think about which peers are doing the most pressuring.

All I know is that you don't combat this stuff by becoming more like it. So if your problem is that Trump overstates things and thinks you can justify any kind of rhetoric so long as it leads to you winning, because winning is all there is and how you win doesn't matter, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to beat it back with that same posture. Becoming like something to stop it is a Pyrrhic victory.
Then how are you supposed to combat it? While it's all well and good to stick to the rules, it's a bit more pragmatic to recognise that playing by the rules doesn't matter so much when your opponent not only has no qualms about breaking the rules but is fine with you following them if it can be turned to their advantage. I may make mistakes from time to time, but I know where the lines are and understand that it's not just about winning for winning's sake - I'd actually like it if civil discussion was all it took to convince people to at least reconsider their opinions, but this thread and many others like it have shown that that is rarely the case (remember Theophile's Colossal thread?). I know you have to be the impartial admin who promotes the spirit of civil discussion and all that, but I need you to understand that prioritising civil discussion above all else for fear of becoming exactly as bad as your opponent (at least in terms of decorum if not opinions) is not guaranteed to make things better, especially not if your opponent considers civility a weakness to be ridiculed and exploited. My attempts at making civil arguments in this thread get less +rep than one-line posts saying "these people should go f*ck themselves" in response to a minority group standing up for themselves, so you tell me what civility is really worth in this case.

It’s not about double standards. That’s like saying rich people should pay exactly the same tax as poor people or if an elderly person is struggling on the bus we shouldn’t offer to give up our seats.

Some people have more privilege than others- isn’t it better to give people who don’t have that privilege a chance rather than perpetuating the inequality?

As for the topic, I think Scarlett Johansson does deserve a good role. I suppose the filmmaker has to weigh up authenticity with how much money the film is likely to make- although arguably if it’s good enough, it might get award recognition and that would give some exposure.
This reminds me of when Jeffrey Tambor won a Golden Globe for playing a trans woman not too long ago and he openly addressed the issue of cis actors playing trans characters by championing the idea that he should be the last cis actor to win an award for playing a trans character. Of course, from that point on it's up to the people in charge to take the necessary steps to change that.

This is why Trump won. If I say that I am for a non-racial, non-sexist existence, somehow I am racist and sexist. Goodbye and good luck. I wish you happiness in your life, but I know that you may never find it, since you can never be happy with your Leftist views.
Yeah, nothing says "I'm not racist/sexist" like publicly declaring your support for a KKK-endorsed pussy-grabber over something relatively minor like a Hollywood A-lister not getting to star in an ill-advised trainwreck (and I already pointed out how calling yourself non-racist sounds condescending, right?). That's the path to living a life of anger right there.

Really, really good posts in this thread @Iroquois.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
A few too many people starting using it to mean freedom from personal responsibility for whatever speech they ended up giving.

Anyway, I thought Chypmunk's point was that it would make more sense to defer to the people most directly affected by this whole situation (i.e. actual trans people) rather than have the conversation be dominated on both sides by cis people as even the well-meaning cis people only have so much authority on the matter (if any).

Think this kind of quashing of opinion I find concerning, given how much its controlling and limiting people. Remember we are all humans and we are living and interacting in a social construct that is collective of different types of humans. Especially in a place like Australia.

Apparently I'm not allowed to express an opinion about a transgender issue because I don't have the authority. How do you define authority? Can a trans person talk about the society they live in if they are not a sociologist? Where does it end? What happens as a result of these 'controls'. Sounds very dividing, far too serious and hampering of the human spirit.

Also your comments about a certain poster being a racist (correct me if I've misinterpreted) seems a very aggressive conclusion to make. I don't understand why you don't make more of an effort to be civil given you preach civil rights. Its very strange. Shouldn't you tackle something manageable in your own world first like ordinary internet civility before trying to convince on broader ideals of civility and human rights.

Think this kind of quashing of opinion I find concerning, given how much its controlling and limiting people. Remember we are all humans and we are living and interacting in a social construct that is collective of different types of humans. Especially in a place like Australia.
Tell that to Peter Dutton.

Apparently I'm not allowed to express an opinion about a transgender issue because I don't have the authority. How do you define authority? Can a trans person talk about the society they live in if they are not a sociologist? Where does it end? What happens as a result of these 'controls'. Sounds very dividing, far too serious and hampering of the human spirit.
I think it's more a matter of recognising that cis people (you and I included) have a fundamentally limited perspective on the matter and that, while we are still technically allowed to voice opinions, we have to stay aware of the limits of our own perspective. I'm a cis person arguing for trans people, but if a trans person shows up and tells me that I'm getting something wrong in my arguments, I shouldn't talk over them and instead acknowledge that I don't automatically have all the answers on this particular issue just because I'm on their side. To paraphrase Ian Malcolm, it's not about whether you could do something as whether you should.

Also your comments about a certain poster being a racist (correct me if I've misinterpreted) seems a very aggressive conclusion to make. I don't understand why you don't make more of an effort to be civil given you preach civil rights. Its very strange. Shouldn't you tackle something manageable in your own world first like ordinary internet civility before trying to convince on broader ideals of civility and human rights.
If you mean Theophile, I just thought it was peculiar that someone who was supposedly taking great pains to show how not racist they were very quickly proceeded to openly declare his support for a president with a well-documented history of racist behaviour simply because he was being told that there was still room for improvement. If that was all it took to push him in that direction, then I question the strength of his original not-racist conviction.

As for civility, see what I said to Yoda about civility already:
I know you have to be the impartial admin who promotes the spirit of civil discussion and all that, but I need you to understand that prioritising civil discussion above all else for fear of becoming exactly as bad as your opponent (at least in terms of decorum if not opinions) is not guaranteed to make things better, especially not if your opponent considers civility a weakness to be ridiculed and exploited. My attempts at making civil arguments in this thread get less +rep than one-line posts saying "these people should go f*ck themselves" in response to a minority group standing up for themselves, so you tell me what civility is really worth in this case.
So yeah, consider it tackled.

I think I have yet to reply to that? Been a busy week. Soon.
No pressure but I’m interested in hearing your response. Right now I’m leaning towards hypocrisy - on his behalf.

Let me make this easy: IF YOU'RE NOT A TRANSGENDER PERSON, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE GIVING YOUR OPINIONS HERE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE SIDING WITH CIS ACTORS PLAYING TRANS ROLES (it can only perpetuate the stereotype that trans women are not real women or trans men are not real men). I will not tolerate transphobia here.

So obviously, I'm siding with transgender people, and, may I remind you, every trans person has a different opinion, and that there is probably no clear cut answer here.

INSTEAD OF MAKING AN ENDLESS COMMENT THREAD HERE, WHY DONT YOU ALL PLEASE JUST READ AND LISTEN TO THE OPINIONS OF TRANS PEOPLE ON CIS PEOPLE PLAYING TRANS ROLES!!
HERE ARE SOME LINKS:

READINGS:
https://www.them.us/story/why-scarle...ay-trans-roles

https://mashable.com/2018/07/04/tran.../#QzrzrBF0YmqX

VIDEOS:
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/long...-1276537411563

https://theglowup.theroot.com/were-m...s-a-1827623448

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

The concept of a "good post" is a lot more subjective than the concept of a trans person, but even then I get the impression that multi-paragraph arguments that actually try to engage with opposing logic win out over reposting generic YouTube ad hominems.

The concept of a "good post" is a lot more subjective than the concept of a trans person, but even then I get the impression that multi-paragraph arguments that actually try to engage with opposing logic win out over reposting generic YouTube ad hominems.

Now don't get pissy about ad hominems. I've only categorized you much the same as when you categorized someone as a racist.
I appreciate it is mocking the SJWs of the world but in all honestly that's the way I see you to the point of when I read your comments now I can visualize that very persons looks and sound of voice lol.

Yeah, well, he originally called me racist for daring to suggest that straight white men had it easier in Western society than other people whereas I questioned why he was so willing to side with a known racist despite his own claims of not being racist.

As long as we're talking honestly here, your posts in this thread don't give the impression that you are actually interested in engaging with the discussion beyond posting the same complaints as everyone else about having their personal expression "being controlled" or whatever as if being asked to show a modicum of respect to a group that's already faced (and continues to face) considerable amounts of unwarranted disrespect is tantamount to all-encompassing censorship. It doesn't even seem like you actually read my posts that closely beyond looking for anything you can use to try to "gotcha" me (e.g. telling me that I called someone a racist even though my initial attempts to engage Theophile in good faith were rewarded with him originally calling me racist and the reason he turned into a Trump supporter, which you conveniently continue to overlook because it doesn't fit the "unreasonable SJW" narrative you want to project onto me). I even tried responding to one of your posts earlier on this page and your subsequent post not only ignored my response but also focused on telling Yoda that you were interested in him making a post that argued with me and called me a hypocrite, once again reinforcing my initial impression that you never really cared in the first place beyond trying to "win" (and, given what Yoda already said about the problems with trying to win arguments at all costs, I question what he'd make of your posts as well).

That’s just not true is it iro. You want me justify why I’m participating in a community thread with outrageous comments re expressing of opinion, full of double standards and hypocrisy - Specifically on your behalf. Now you’re crying to the mod to do something when you’ve done nothing but flame this. I’m too blame for continuing this I acknowledge. You are too, accept some responsibility ffs.

Well, yeah, that's how this works. At least I can and do make the effort to justify the stances I take while the best anyone's managed so far is repeating the same empty accusations about double standards and hypocrisy without the substance to back them up (like excuse me for not being an absolute doormat for users who had no intention of being nice about this issue in the first place). I'm not about to take any "crying to the mod" nonsense either since a) you're the one who first said you were interested in how Yoda responded to me instead of formulating your own response b) I actually welcome that since Yoda would almost certainly give me a more worthwhile response c) he's going to respond to me anyway and d) since the mod team includes people like Sedai, I know better than to expect them to take my side in an argument anyway. Besides, if you think I'm the only person who's doing the "flaming" around here, I want you to read this whole thread from start to finish and consider which side is really more invested in doing the vacuous flaming here - or would that mean accepting more responsibility than you're comfortable with?