Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

+
Great. Absolutely great. I really need to read the book. The movie is very good, but it's Steinbeck who is the genius here.
Great book but one hefty tomb..

THE MISSION: (1986)

Found myself engrossed in this historical true story of a Jesuit priest and his vision to open a mission for the Indians in a South American rain forest in the 18th Century. The breathtaking cinematography by Chris Menges won both an Oscar plus a Palme d'Or award. Powerful performances from Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons are complimented by the mesmerizing Ennio Morricone soundtrack. [rating]4]/rating]

The Handmaiden (2016)
Rating: 8.5/10

WOO YALL DID NOT WARN ME ABOUT THIS MOVIE!! SHIIIIIIIT!! I'M NEVER WATCHING WESTERN WHITE HOLLYWOOD FILMS AGAIN BC THEYLL JUST BE BORING. The direction, the production, the cinematography (I do love period films), the ACTING.... Kim Tae-ri and Kim Min-hee are a match made in heaven. Also the evil uncle, Cho Jin-woong, gave me nightmares. BE WARNED ya'll... this movie is UH explicit and violent to say the least...

ICE COLD IN ALEX: (1958)

I so admire this John Mills-powered Brit war film. What it lacks in action it makes up for with intrigue. Tells the tale of a RASC ambulance unit that is forced to evacuate a German Afrika Corp- beseiged Tobruk for Alexandria, Egypt. On the long journey they have to maneuver thru a minefield, stave off enemy attacks by air and land and brave the fierce heat of the desert in a vehicle that has seen better days.. On their way they pick up a Dutch Army hitch hiker who is not what he appears. This superbly told war drama held me enthralled from start to the last compelling scene.. like it has done umpteen times before. A superb cast, cinematography and an uplifting score. It surely is a classic. I am tempted to give Ice Cold In Alex top points. So I will

Below is the real meaning of the film's title. A cold beer in Alexandria.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Great book but one hefty tomb..
I can imagine after watching the movie. I guess the book is much darker.

I went to the cinema yesterdy to watch The Ghost Story and it turned out I confused the days and The Ghost Story is today at the same time I was in the cinema yestarday. So I went to Wonder, which was currently on

People are (ain't no?) good.Even the school bully is the way he is, because he has snobbish parents. Beside this the world is WONDER place
1 for showing the same story from perspective of different persons. This is the most valuable advantage of this move.
2 for Noah Jupe - I love this kid.
3 for Owne Wilson, who was... just Owen Wilson. He is himself in every movie, but it doesn't botter me

I won't say the movie hasn't got tense moments, but two or three scenes can't win all the movie, which lasts 132 minutes. Mark Wahlberg's acting is wooden. Owen Wilson from the post above, at least has some kind of charm. Great role of Christopher Plummer, but contrarily to Wahlberg, he is awesome in every movie.

THE MISSION: (1986)

Found myself engrossed in this historical true story of a Jesuit priest and his vision to open a mission for the Indians in a South American rain forest in the 18th Century. The breathtaking cinematography by Chris Menges won both an Oscar plus a Palme d'Or award. Powerful performances from Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons are complimented by the mesmerizing Ennio Morricone soundtrack. [rating]4]/rating]

Its a wonderful film. Deeply touching.

Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007)

Cardboard cut-out characters but a nice casual detective film, Big Tom is good in it...6/10

Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut, 1960)

Truffaut kick continues.

One of my favorite films. The mother to all off-beat dramas. This movie has it all.

~Doc

Loved it, and usually I'm not impressed with new movies these days. This one caught my attention at the get-go and held it until the film was over. Well made, loved the first person narrative voice over style, which made the film feel like a personal story. It's a wild story based on the real events as told by Molly Bloom.

+
I too enjoyed it. Here is my mini-review:

Took a chance last night on Molly's Game, and was pleasantly surprised. The real story of Molly Bloom, a prior Olympic skier turned high stakes poker game hostess/banker, must have been a screen writer's dream. And in fact it did get an Oscar nomination for best adapted screenplay.

Jessica Chastain did a journeyman's job of portraying Brown, although in real life Brown is actually better looking and has a more affable and engaging personality than does the character in the film. Kevin Costner turned in a nice performance of Molly's father. There were good parts for veterans Bill Camp and Chris O'Dowd. The character of Molly's attorney (in real life Michael Walden) was given to Idris Elba, evidently to satisfy the unwritten rigid Hollywood racial quota system. Elba had a decent performance, but the role seemed unevenly written.

Writer/Director Aaron Sorkin knows how to write an engaging but commercial screenplay. All in all the film is an enjoyable watch. And it's as least as compelling as half the other pictures that were nominated this year for major awards.

~Doc

I can imagine after watching the movie. I guess the book is much darker.
I have never actually watched it so I couldn't say but I am sure it doesn't end on the same note.. being a 1940 film

WARNING: "HowTheBookEnds" spoilers below
A woman breast feeding the father in a barn to keep him from starving

Sleepless in Seattle (1994)
Can't add the picture, Sorry.

I watched when I was a kid and re-watching every year. I have no word to say, it's just like.. magic. I wish I could find someone like this.

I have never actually watched it so I couldn't say but I am sure it doesn't end on the same note.. being a 1940 film

WARNING: "HowTheBookEnds" spoilers below
A woman breast feeding the father in a barn to keep him from starving
No, I don't recall it to myself from this movie. The same motive is in Essential Killing of Skolimowski.

Jules and Jim (Francois Trufffaut, 1962)

Oh well, on to the next one.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Deadpool 2 (2018)

Exact same feels I had for Stranger Things s2.