16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Poison for the Fairies

It was ok. Nothing bad about the film at all, most of the film checks off in the average column. The last 15 minutes were a treat though, and I would actually say that's the best part of the film. There are a lot of interesting film shots in the movie, my favorite being Veronica on the swing. It was filmed very well. The story was ok, the characters ok, the score and music ok. Just nothing that elevates it to a true Hall of Fame winning candidate for me though. Still cool to finally see it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Frances Ha (2012)

So... usually HoFs always give me at least a new favourite and I was starting to be worried cause this one hadn't yet. Frances Ha, however came to the rescue.
This is one of the most relatable and beautiful films I've seen lately. All the fears of someone like Francis just speak to me in a very deep level. A 27 year old performing artist still finding the right opportunities while struggles with financial issues and has difficulty to find people on the same wave lenght. Yup, found it really difficult to not cry at the end of this!

Thank you so much to whoever nominated this, made this HoF worth it!

+

We are at 88/121, though in honesty the review number probably falls to 100 if MovieMad is out so we will be close.
You didn't count Wait Until Dark on my review list on the first page! xD

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Here's where we stand with reviews:

Done
Siddon
Miss Vicky
PahaK-
Raul

Work to do
@Citizen Rules 1 Left @HashtagBrownies 4 left @edarsenal 3 left @cricket 3 left @neiba 4 left @Okay 7 left

Potentially being disqualified (will give until Sunday for an answer) @MovieMad16 9 left

Done
Siddon
Miss Vicky
PahaK-
Raul

Work to do
@Citizen Rules 1 Left @HashtagBrownies 4 left @edarsenal 3 left @cricket 3 left @neiba 4 left @Okay 7 left

Potentially being disqualified (will give until Sunday for an answer) @MovieMad16 9 left
I watched the last one I needed, last night. Will write up something shortly.

Naked (1993)

That's the only character I could stand to look at in the film. Remember how much Cricket hated Vincent Gallo in Buffallo '66? Well, just multiply that hate 10 fold and that's how I feel about Johnny in Naked! After watching the protagonist rape a girl in the first 30 seconds, the film lost me! I had nothing but pure disdain for the character of Johnny. He's the worst kind of person, he's a human leach, a user and abuser, who I guess we're suppose to think is deep because the writer/director filled his mouth full of asinine negativity. Which is ironic coming from this filthy slob who can't get his act together.

The dark haired girl with the tattoo and the guy in the black tighties, were silly caricatures as well. I found this and the people in the film miserable, I see nothing funny or clever about it. IMO there's two types of British comedy, the good ones, like skilled film maker's like Terry Gilliam make, and lame ones that have over the top debauchery and despicable caricatures. Naked reminded me of Withnail & I another film I loathed.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	46273  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I had a pretty strong loathing for Gallo as well. Completely ruined it for me, which sucked since Buffalo 66 had a lot going for it.

And this is the review I expected to see from you about this film

Done
Siddon
Miss Vicky
PahaK-
Raul

Work to do

I'll be watching Three Monkeys in the day or so. Got Fairies picked up from the library today and will wait til Sunday to see where Mad's nom stands or falls.

I had a pretty strong loathing for Gallo as well. Completely ruined it for me, which sucked since Buffalo 66 had a lot going for it.
Was it Gallo or the character you loathed? I thought Gallo's character was unsavory and yet he had a human side to him that I could see and relate to. But with Naked the Johnny character grated on my nerves.

And this is the review I expected to see from you about this film
I'm so predicable

Was it Gallo or the character you loathed? I thought Gallo's character was unsavory and yet he had a human side to him that I could see and relate to. But with Naked the Johnny character grated on my nerves.
The character is what grated on me so. I knew a little bit about Gallo and how he seemed to make a point of being an A-Hole, which, if I remember from my review, I remarked on how effective he was at being just that. Or maybe I was complimenting Camo at how polarizing the responses were to his nomination? . . . not really sure . . . lol

Naked (1993)

That's the only character I could stand to look at in the film. Remember how much Cricket hated Vincent Gallo in Buffallo '66? Well, just multiply that hate 10 fold and that's how I feel about Johnny in Naked! After watching the protagonist rape a girl in the first 30 seconds, the film lost me! I had nothing but pure disdain for the character of Johnny. He's the worst kind of person, he's a human leach, a user and abuser, who I guess we're suppose to think is deep because the writer/director filled his mouth full of asinine negativity. Which is ironic coming from this filthy slob who can't get his act together.

The dark haired girl with the tattoo and the guy in the black tighties, were silly caricatures as well. I found this and the people in the film miserable, I see nothing funny or clever about it. IMO there's two types of British comedy, the good ones, like skilled film maker's like Terry Gilliam make, and lame ones that have over the top debauchery and despicable caricatures. Naked reminded me of Withnail & I another film I loathed.
Ouch! xD

Sorry you didn't like it CR, but after hating Withnail & I, also nominated by me, it was kind of expected

I liked Naked better than Withnail and I still least.
They're #2 and #13 on my Top 100, so... I hate you all for hating them! xD eheheh

Waterloo Bridge (1931)

A very solid pre-code that holds up when compared to the masterpiece that is its 1940 remake.

The acting was quite good, considering the time this came out, and the pacing was very well managed. However, it suffered from some problems that were usual on films from these time: quite a predictable story and characters (who I didn't find to have chemistry) who fall in love too fast.

Overall, it was a very entertaining watch and another good nom from CR!

They're #2 and #13 on my Top 100, so... I hate you all for hating them! xD eheheh
THAT is the perfect response for those films

or, maybe, even this might be more apt lol

THAT is the perfect response for those films

or, maybe, even this might be more apt lol
YES! This is my official response to everyone who hates Naked! xD

Naked

The was my second time watching this movie after first seeing it a couple years ago via a recommendation from Swan. I still think it's a great movie.

SPOILERS
Although a bit ambiguous, I do not think that Johnny raped that girl in the beginning. All I have to go by is what I see in the rest of the movie, and what I see is him getting rough during casual sex. That's certainly not a good thing when the other person is not a willing participant, but it's a far cry from being a scumbag rapist. The other guy is a rapist and a monster, but I don't even think Johnny is a bad guy at all. He's clearly dealing with some deep inner demons, and so he often lashes out with a sharp sarcastic tongue. I think he is looking to be loved, by anyone, and I think that because he's actually quite social and talks to everyone he comes across. It's just that he often screws it up with his mouth, and he does that out of self-loathing. David Thewlis is brilliant and carries the movie on his back. It's not just him, as I think most of the performances are strong and the film has the proper bleak look and musical score. If any performance is a little under par, it's that of the last roommate, but she doesn't play a big role. That other actor played a strange part to me. I feel like that character wasn't even needed. Maybe he was there to show the contrast to Johnny, show us what a real loser looks like? Regardless, I didn't mind him as I thought he was compelling and funny. I found it interesting that Neiba also loved Frances Ha because those characters are similar to Johnny, if they went through some horrible times. Anyway, Johnny is a mesmerizing yet sympathetic character in my mind. He's not alone; all of the characters are hurting in some way. It makes for a downbeat movie but I think a terrific one.