Stunning Pictures of the World

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ive been watching the special coverage of the boys since first light. Sure is a miracle, especially when you see the unddrwater maps of what the SEALS had to navigate. Ive been caving a few times, including THAILAND. Thats it for me. Very lucky kids!!!

But they were only siteseeing werent they and found themselves trapped by monsoon flooding? That is how I read the situation. By caving you mean exploring by foot not crawling and swimming? Me very wary. Claustrophobic. I have managed Jennolan Caves twice tho. I also ventured into a Thai cave but not very far. Did not go during monsoon season..

But they were only siteseeing werent they and found themselves trapped by monsoon flooding? That is how I read the situation. By caving you mean exploring by foot not crawling and swimming? Me very wary. Claustrophobic. I have managed Jennolan Caves twice tho. I also ventured into a Thai cave but not very far. Did not go during monsoon season..
caving is like rock climbing under water but more about exploring uncharted caves. Pretty stupid to take kids who could not scubadive imo.i dont know what the coach was thinking.

caving is like rock climbing under water but more about exploring uncharted caves. Pretty stupid to take kids who could not scubadive imo.i dont know what the coach was thinking.
Are you saying that they were caving not merely siteseeing. Scuba dive? Most could not even swim. Gross stupidity with the monsoon having started. They all could have drowned.

Are you saying that they were caving not merely siteseeing. Scuba dive.. most could not even swim. Gross stupidity with the monsoon having started. They all could have drowned.
And one rescuer died

Are you saying that they were caving not merely siteseeing. Scuba dive.. most could not even swim. Gross stupidity with the monsoon having started. They all could have drowned.
And one rescuer died
ThaT was terrible

Yes...and he was a professional diver too. An Aussie doctor evidently played an integral part in the operation. Wonder if they will replay the rescue. Would love to see it.

Here are some pictures by a fine art English photographer I hold in high esteem. I have been following the work of Michael Kenna for years, and had the good fortune to meet him when he came to lecture in the states a few years ago-found him to be a gracious and well spoken man.

And I find his photos to be eloquent, representing a place in a way that is visually unique, beautiful and meditative; and that also seems to reveal the 'spirit' of a landscape.

Here are three ( have to post one by one) of his photos from his book on Japan:

2-Japan by Michael Kenna

3- Last image ( and the cover photo) from Michael Kenna's book:
Forms of Japan

And while I' m here, I'll put up one more final image by Michael Kenna that I find especially evocative -from China:

Where iz it, spookie?

Where iz it, spookie?

I love those black and white shots, LL

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tampere, Finland, 13 July: Great Britain's Niamh Emerson collapses in the rain after becoming world junior heptathlon champion with victory in the 800m, clocking a personal best of two minutes 9.74 seconds (Stephen Pond/Getty Images for IAAF)

I guess its not exactly "of the world" but I think its a stunning photo

Tampere, Finland, 13 July: Great Britain's Niamh Emerson collapses in the rain after becoming world junior heptathlon champion with victory in the 800m, clocking a personal best of two minutes 9.74 seconds (Stephen Pond/Getty Images for IAAF)

I guess its not exactly "of the world" but I think its a stunning photo
That's an example of photo journalism and it's excellent.