Which actor would be a good Philip Marlowe today?

Tools    

This is a tricky proposition. The best would be modeled not only on Chandler's character, but also on the familiar portrayals by Bogart and Dick Powell.

My choice: Edward Norton

~Doc

Norton's too old.
Marlowe is described in the books as aged 33, 38 and 42... he's also described as 6'1 and 190lb (near 14st)

Problem is there's not many actors like that around at the minute. At least none that are talented.

Only 1 fits the bill in terms of height, weight, age and most importantly... talent.
Ryan Gosling.

This might just do nobody any good.
Eh, Bogart did it at nearly 50 and at 5’8.

I’d say Robert Downey Jr. but Liam Neeson’s reportedly the next iteration:
https://variety.com/2017/film/news/l...an-1202018969/

The best would be modeled not only on Chandler's character, but also on the familiar portrayals by Bogart and Dick Powell.
So are we disregarding The Long Goodbye, then? I thought that movie was great and so was Elliott Gould.

I'm not real up on current actors, but of the ones mentioned Edward Norton would be my choice as Philip Marlowe. Ryan Gosling, nah he's got this naivety about him, I think he's great in his movies but not as Marlowe...Who ever plays Marlowe needs an edge. Robert Downey Jr. maybe, but not Liam Neeson, I like both of them too, but I don't see Marlowe in either of them. Ed Norton would rock that role.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Clive Owen???? Get this guy back in movies.

Suspect's Reviews

Well the best choice is always Idris Elba

But a more realistic choice would be Jeffrey Dean Morgan

I would personally love it if John Hamm agrees to it, but he's against franchises

I'll go outside the box and say Scarlett Johansson.

Bill Murray. He can play it as an aging Philip Marlowe, retired but pulled back into activity duty by a mysterious and very personal case. I think that would be cool. But of course any new Philip Marlowe film has to hit the age demographics, of 14 to 24, so it would never happen. So just hire any lame ass actor and make a crappy remake.

So are we disregarding The Long Goodbye, then? I thought that movie was great and so was Elliott Gould.
Yes, I intentionally left out Gould. I like him as an actor, but I didn't believe him as Marlowe.

IMO 1973's The Long Goodbye wasn't a bad movie, it was just bad Chandler. It would nice to see a new version which stuck to the novel. And as soon as we've decided who should play Marlowe, I'll notify the studios...

~Doc

I guess some of us missed the deconstructionist part.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Guy Pierce I think would be really good, unless he is too old now?

What an interesting question. Here's three picks of mine- btw I love a good mystery/thriller/detective story whether it features a hard boiled guy like Dirty Harry or a soft boiled guy like Hercule Poirot:

1- Daniel Craig - he 's smooth as silk in Bond films , but I think he could muss up just enough for the part - and he DOES have an edge ( plus speaking for the female fan base of mofo. I think he'd be a great box office draw. )

2- Matthew McConaughey - I know he seems even dopier than in those car commercials when he does talk show interviews- but he's actually quite a good actor. I bet he could take this on and surprise everyone with a fine performance.

3- Adrian Brody- haven't seen him in as much as the other two, but in my mind- he LOOKS the part.

Brolin would be good too.

If nothing else, he’s got the classic Hollywood gumshoe look nailed down.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Brolin would be good too.

If nothing else, he’s got the classic Hollywood gumshoe look nailed down.
Why not, he's in everything these days anyway. He has 3 movies all out the theatre right now. That guy is busy.

What an interesting question. Here's three picks of mine- btw I love a good mystery/thriller/detective story whether it features a hard boiled guy like Dirty Harry or a soft boiled guy like Hercule Poirot:

1- Daniel Craig - he 's smooth as silk in Bond films , but I think he could muss up just enough for the part - and he DOES have an edge ( plus speaking for the female fan base of mofo. I think he'd be a great box office draw. )

2- Matthew McConaughey - I know he seems even dopier than in those car commercials when he does talk show interviews- but he's actually quite a good actor. I bet he could take this on and surprise everyone with a fine performance.

3- Adrian Brody- haven't seen him in as much as the other two, but in my mind- he LOOKS the part.
Good choices, LL. I hadn't thought of Brody. He's my favorite choice of your three.

BTW, as a model, I neglected to mention Robert Mitchum's excellent portrayal of Marlowe in 1978's remake of The Big Sleep; although he was a little long in the tooth. He could've even played Gen. Sternwood!..

~Doc

I'd go with a HBO show starring Dominic West.