The Matrix Reloaded vs. The Matrix Revolutions.

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Which sequel did you think was better? The sequels are not well liked compared to the original and both are mixed bags for me. I think I would have to say Revolutions is better though, cause it actually went somewhere and built towards some sort of conclusion, where as Reloaded, really didn't feel like it went much anywhere story wise.

SPOILER

Neo knows something bad is going to happen to Trinity and they spread this across the whole movie, and then he saves her, and that's it, aside from the villain plot, which doesn't add much.

But what do you think?

Reloaded:
Good action scenes, enough story to keep you interested.
Some of the wire work was a bit hokey and the CGI not only hasn't held up, it was never great to begin with.
In the 100 Agent Smith Fight, Neo always looked way too cartoony.

Revolutions:
Nothing good.
Way too convoluted... too much CGI again (though it did look a little better than Reloaded)... boring action scenes with characters you don't know that well... and, not enough Matrix stuff going on, and when it did kick in, the finale fight jumped the shark with the fact that Neo and Smith were a pair of overpowered Gods.
Smith is also totally dumb in Revolutions. He had millions of copies, yet he opts for a 1 on 1 fist fight and risks defeat?

Out of the two, Reloaded all the way.

Aww I need to watch both parts again I don't know I have forgotten the scenes. by the way both parts were good.

“I was cured, all right!”
Reloaded:
Good action scenes, enough story to keep you interested.
Some of the wire work was a bit hokey and the CGI not only hasn't held up, it was never great to begin with.
In the 100 Agent Smith Fight, Neo always looked way too cartoony.

Revolutions:
Nothing good.
Way too convoluted... too much CGI again (though it did look a little better than Reloaded)... boring action scenes with characters you don't know that well... and, not enough Matrix stuff going on, and when it did kick in, the finale fight jumped the shark with the fact that Neo and Smith were a pair of overpowered Gods.
Smith is also totally dumb in Revolutions. He had millions of copies, yet he opts for a 1 on 1 fist fight and risks defeat?

Out of the two, Reloaded all the way.
All smith copies aren't a big deal for Neo, during they fight in Reloaded we could see the they were a thing because they were overnumbered, but won't actually be a challenge for him. The one that fight Neo in the end of Revolutions is the copy maded out of the "Oraculo". That's why he could fight altering the codes like Neo could, and that's why he was the only one to fight Neo: The perfect one. Let's not forget that Smith had a vision of Neo's defeat before the fight even begin, that's why he was so confident.

All smith copies aren't a big deal for Neo, during they fight in Reloaded we could see the they were a thing because they were overnumbered, but won't actually be a challenge for him. The one that fight Neo in the end of Revolutions is the copy maded out of the "Oraculo". That's why he could fight altering the codes like Neo could, and that's why he was the only one to fight Neo: The perfect one. Let's not forget that Smith had a vision of Neo's defeat before the fight even begin, that's why he was so confident.

Exactly. Only "The One" could beat Neo. And the Original Agent Smith was "The One".

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ummm, pop culture favourites much?

I dont know, man. Watch some Bresson or something.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
In my original review of Revolutions, I called it the most disappointing movie of 2003. Let me cherry pick some sentences and see if I still feel the same way:

Spoilers I guess...

Revolutions was disappointing. Its too bad too, I liked Reloaded and I liked the Matrix In the first Matrix there were many ideas crucial to the plot that were just taken for granted by everyone, such as the existence of an "Oracle" inside the matrix, as well as the existence of a "One", wow after Reloaded I had hundreds of theories, and when this film came out, to see none of them revealed, or anything remotely good at all, it takes a dive into crap.
So it appears I had tons of theories for this film when it was coming out. I think a lot of people did. Then none of them panned out, maybe Revolutions is The Last Jedi?? That aside, I look at this now and don't really seem to care. So the story didn't turn out the way I was expecting, big deal.

This is the weak spot in the trilogy, it does have the best special effects, even the phoney SUPER PUNCH to Smith's face was alright. It is the darkest, with death to some main characters, but I guess it's a main problem is that the Wachowski brothers couldn't come up with an ending to please themselves, so they just threw one together. It is probably the worst way to end a trilogy that could of easily become one of the greatest.
Weak spot in trilogy? Yes, I'll stand by that comment. Best special effects? Meh, I think I'll go back on that and say the effects from the original still hold up, but the sequels don't so much. Obvious green screen, bad human CGI, that super punch that I said was okay...not really. The Wachowski's dove heavily into anime with the sequels and the result is cartoon sequences in serious films.

The ending, okay....I was really pissed that Neo dies. Looking back, I get it. I think I wanted a happy ending, so when the bleak ending came I was upset. I take back that they didn't know how to end it, I think they did, I just didn't want it to end that way.

The acting in both of the Matrix films are flat, with this one showing the most emotion from Reeves wiithout the aid of SIGHT, which impressed me very much. Morpheus is nothing but a supporting character here and Trinity just follows Neo everywhere, then dies...again. OH GOD the death scene, it went all Shakespear on us here and dragged on a bit too long. The Kid, it's safe to say that this is the Jar Jar of The Matrix. His dialouge was horrible and terribly delievered, "Neo, I believe" Had me laughing to tear out of embarassment
Reeves does give his best performances in the trilogy with this film, but the second death of Trinity does still feel drawn out and flat.

The fight scenes...wow, and not in a good way. First of all we get a rehased version of the lobby scene in the first one, but how do we make it different, oh we'll get the upside down. Very interesting...please, show us something tangable. How about the Smith/Neo fight, have you've ever seen an episode of Dragon Ball Z, well, yea, that's basically what the fight is, fly around kick here and there and then just give in. Can you say way too many rain bubbles, 3 is enough, not more. The Zion VS Machines was the highligt of this film, it was beautiful and suspenseful, everything I imagined it to be.
The action sequences in Reloaded had visual flare, even if they felt hollow. Here, they feel bloated. The attack on Zion still looks cool, the final fight is like I said, inspired by Dragon Ball Z. Meh.

The machine city was interesting, and beautiful, the orange/yellow lights, neo's power that is stretches beyond the matrix, all the way to the source, please, that's a cop out. Neo and Trinity soaring beyond the skies, seeing the beautiful sun, just before dipping back into hell, beautiful.
Okay, so some beautiful imagery in this film. Not liking the explanations they give again I see. The power stretching to the source...uhhh, still on the fence about that one.

Every character that was the least bit interesting was useless here. The Merovingian, Perphosone, Seraph, Twins (not present, come on they didn't die). I expected a kick ass fight between the smiths and seraph, but got nothing. Every fight scene was a let down.
Now I'm really thinking that this is the Last Jedi. All about not giving in to expectations. You're not going to show us Seraph fighting Smith? Ugh.

[quote]The story relies on it's viewers to know everything about the the matrix universe, you need to play the games, you need to watch the animatrix, read the comics, just like Episode III. "Holy ****, it's wingless" What does this mean, Serpah has an outer shell like the Oracle, and this is his new one? I don't want to go to the games to get the answers./quote]

That wingless line refers to the character being an Angel I think. This is information that is accessed outside the film.

Overall, I was disappointed with the outcome of this movie, it was a let down, maybe because it was over-hyped, maybe because it was simply crap...I'll never know.
BOTH!!!!

I write my reviews pretty much as soon as I finish seeing the film. Then out of being too impatient, I post it without reading it or editing it. So that usually counts for spelling mistakes, half baked ideas, random tangents.

Looking back at Revolutions, it was the first film I remember being really excited for and leaving the theatre disappointed and depressed. It seems many others share that experience. Reloaded still had the cool Matrix vibe going on, but I think Revolutions spends too much time outside the Matrix.

I think the special effects were the main focus here and the story and characters took a backseat. I still think this film drops the ball in concluding an engaging story with great characters.

So I guess I like Reloaded more.

Suspect's Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Reloaded was flawed but good. Revolutions was terrible. It just didn't look right and all the philosophical stuff and references to myths that gave the original an extra layer was too much in that film. More jam than bread.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well, having watched the movies again, it seems that it's hard to decide which is better because Reloaded has a lot of set up, and I mean a lot of set up. The whole movie feels like a first act of story set ups. Which isn't necessarily bad as long as the next movie pays them all off. But it doesn't.

However, Revolutions is a pay off and conclusion only without much set up. if it had a different movie that preceded it with different set ups, to build into this conclusion, then the conclusion itself would be better. Does that make sense as to what both movies problems are?