Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

A wrinkle in time (2018)

Not bad, not great. Kept my little man rapt for 1+1/2 hours but I drifted off repeatedly. Maybe he should opine on it rather than me!!! 6/10.

E.T 10/10 It's been 30 odd years since I first watched it at the cinema, still one of the best films ever. Got to re-live that magical moment last night with my 4yr old, he absolutely loved it. Thumbs up from both of us.

Maudie (2017)

Anna Karenina (2012) I rate a 7.5/10

I hope that by now ya'll know I love a Joe Wright + Kiera Knightly + Dario Marianelli collaboration.
Anyways, the acting was all very good, especially Knightly and Jude Law. The musical score... MY GOD Dario Marianelli is astonishingly gifted. Very beautifully shot movie, the costuming was superb..... the only thing that bothered me throughout was the whole filming-the-movie-as-if-it-were-a-theatre-show thing. UGH I can't seem to appreciate it. It took away the reality (which could have been the intention), and thus, for me, took away the emotion. I want to feel as if these are real people, not actors on a stage :'( that's how I get emotionally attached. BUT all in all, a wonderful movie, I can't give a low score.

P.S. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is so [redacted] beautiful the feelings I get just looking at him..... he should be outlawed... that face and more importantly the the energy he exudes...his gaze... his eyes... GOD [redacted] [redacted] [redacted] Im going to DIE

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Saw 'Wheelman'. It's the closet thing to the wonderful 'Drive', though not as stylish.
Agree 100%. Close like LA to Miami.

This might just do nobody any good.
Saw 'Wheelman'. It's the closet thing to the wonderful 'Drive', though not as stylish.
For your consideration: The Driver (1978)

8th Re-watch. This movie definitely has its problems...questionable casting and unnecessary tampering with Frank Loesser's wonderful score, but there's still entertainment to be gleaned here.

Pulp Fiction. What more is there to be said about this blackly comic and irony-laden 90s crime anthology thriller? It remains a classic (hard to believe it's 24 years old). The first "story" probably remains my favourite, though as a whole it remains Tarantino's best film.

When I watched this movie I started to read about it and I found out those two actress hated each other. I read about this rocks and much more Davis throwed Crawford in this scene, when she played she wasn't able to carry on her sister anymore and she was kicking Craford in other scene for real. Moreover Davis was making jokes of Crawford on the set of the film.
In return Crawfors collected the oscar for the best actress in place of Bancroft, who won among other actress with Davis (she was nomonated for Baby Jane). Crawford offered herself to replaced for Bancroft in the letter to Bancroft.
Yep their feud is fascinating. Surprise.. surprise it started over a man. If you have as yet not seen the miniseries FEUD.. do so. It is fabulous.

7th Re-watch. Under the imaginative directorial eye of the late Milos Foreman, this film version of the famed 60's Broadway musical is one of the few film versions of a stage musical that is better than its source and just gets richer with each viewing and the ending still destroys me.

Great biographical drama. I was disappointed that they took so many liberties with the real story, but as a cinematic piece, I'd give it the same rating as you have.

~Doc

A Star is Born (1937)

+

I watched this for the 30's countdown because I figured it will make it, and also because for a musical, I liked the Judy Garland version. As many of you probably know, but was news to me, this original version isn't a musical at all.

Janet Gaynor plays the small town girl who arrives in Hollywood with big dreams, and I thought she was well suited for the role. Fredric March is fantastic as the alcoholic actor who falls in love with her and gets her the big break. The story plays out nicely and the movie was a big surprise for me.

Ditto. Have you seen FEUD?

One of the best scenes in Baby Jane is Davis dragging Crawford from the bed to hide her from unexpected visitors.. Were you aware that Crawford wore a heavy weight belt in this scene so Davis would hurt her back. These two hated each other with a passion.
if you liked this movie, you MUST watch Feud

if you liked this movie, you MUST watch Feud
I posted earlier about watching Feud.. Absolutely fabulous. Award winning performances from Sarandon, Lange and Davis for mine. Alfred Molina was good too. I will watch it again.. and again I reckon.

A Star is Born (1937)

+

I watched this for the 30's countdown because I figured it will make it, and also because for a musical, I liked the Judy Garland version. As many of you probably know, but was news to me, this original version isn't a musical at all.

Janet Gaynor plays the small town girl who arrives in Hollywood with big dreams, and I thought she was well suited for the role. Fredric March is fantastic as the alcoholic actor who falls in love with her and gets her the big break. The story plays out nicely and the movie was a big surprise for me.
Terrific actor is Frederick March. Particulaly enjoyed his work in The Desperate Hours (1954)

7th Re-watch. Under the imaginative directorial eye of the late Milos Foreman, this film version of the famed 60's Broadway musical is one of the few film versions of a stage musical that is better than its source and just gets richer with each viewing and the ending still destroys me.

I have yet to see this. I want to! But so far haven't gotten around to it.

GLADIATOR (2000)

Watched this again on the weekend. Forgotten just how good it was with Russel Crowe's Oscar performance leading the show. I love the journey we the viewer take with the Maximus character..

The plot in brief. In AD 180,General Maximus Decimus Meridius intends to return to his home after he vanquishes the pesky Germanic tribes. After the successful battle Emperor Marcus Aurelius tells Maximus that..as he regards his son Commodus unfit to rule..he wishes Maximus to succeed him to rid Rome from corruption. Commodus, upon hearing this, murders his father. and plans to execute Maximus. The general escapes and is then sold into slavery.

Imho this Gladiator scene is the film's most stirring..

Iron Sky (2012)

Oh yeah...Crazy Ass Nazis have been hiding out on the dark side of the moon and decide to launch an attack in 2018, which is now.... So where the hell are they anyway? Ha!

This is obviously a just-for-fun flick...but it does have some crazy interesting characters who are so colorful that there entertaining. And it has a right winger Sarah Palin type President making slimy deals with the Nazi's! I liked the political satire bit, too bad there wasn't more of it. But hey nobody said it was a 5 star movie.

Good cast, crazy ideas played out for fun, with some satire too, not that bad!

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.php.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	45776  

The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018)

-

I saw the first one at the cinema and hardly remember it. I just know I was distracted, bored, and that I didn't like it. I did like this one, definitely due to my taste rather than my judgement. There certainly could have been more originality and intelligence. The use of masks are getting a little worn out in horror movies, and how many times can these goofy strangers sneak up on their victims? There's one scene, 2 people facing each other in open space, and suddenly one of them is getting their throat slit. I mean come on already. Those issues did nothing to kill the tension though, and the last 20 minutes were pretty awesome. It's a well paced 80 minutes overall and fairly atmospheric. With the victims being a family rather than a group of friends, there's also a nasty element to it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I still haven't seen this. Looking forward to it.