Name The musician/singer

Tools    

No clue

Pointed goatee? Pork pie hat?
Can be no other than:
Thelonius Monk

Lol doc I didn't know Loudon as an actor. He was an acclaimed singer songwriter- music was quirky, eccentric lyrics and subjects; offbeat, sometimes sarcastic (Glad to See You've Got Religion) , sometimes deeply somber (Hospital Lady) He was best known for a novelty song, Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road, a silly anthem that was not like most of his material.

Re: my sly clues:
His ex gf Suzy is part of the Roche Sisters family who had a hit with
The Married Men

He wrote a song I love(and listen to every summer) - called The Swimming Song- which could be simply bouyant (the music is) but the lyrics have an odd twist that is as much eerie as fun. Also covered by his ex wife Kate of the McGarrigal sisters.

Son Rufus did a classic renowned version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah .

All on YouTube and worth a listen if you love this genre of roots influenced, Dylan inspired type of music- which obviously I do.

And btw if you ever saw Loudon perform in person ( which I have) he sports enough facial grimaces and tongue wagging and odd jerky movements to make Joe Cocker seem like a statue in Easter Island.

-back soon with another poser.

Okay, think I'll make it easy for you tonite. ( maybe too easy?)

I don 't post songs here, keep them on a separate thread . But you know, Doc, I thought you might like to hear a song typical of Loudon, I think one of his best:

Okay, think I'll make it easy for you tonite. ( maybe too easy?)
Wow. One of my favorite singers, certainly my favorite operatic soprano! The incomparable Beverly Sills.

Nicknamed "Bubbles" because of her effervescent personality, she was the complete package.

I played two seasons ('65 & '66) with the Cincinnati Opera, when their home was at the old Cincinnati Zoo Pavilion. One week Sills starred in The Tales of Hoffmann, and it also starred the magnificent Norman Treigle. I was so moved by her performance that I went back stage to tell her so. I was bowled over at how friendly and down to earth she was. She treated me like an equal, even though I was a lowly orchestra musician.

She was one of the very greats.

~Doc

Mel Torme ?

Yoooooooooo I should have known your passion for music indicated that you were more than just being an avid fan.
(Wonder which instrument you play. )

Beverly was on a lot of talk shows and she always appeared to be just as you said- warm and upbeat and engaging.

Glad to hear you relive that pleasant memory.

Mel Torme ?

Yoooooooooo I should have known your passion for music indicated that you were more than just being an avid fan.
(Wonder which instrument you play. )

Beverly was on a lot of talk shows and she always appeared to be just as you said- warm and upbeat and engaging.

Glad to hear you relive that pleasant memory.
Yes, LL, it's Mel Torme. I should have known that you'd nail that one. Perhaps you're a little older than most on the site..

I played all the percussion instruments, from symphonic to jazz/rock.

Yes, Sills was delightful-- so at ease and down to earth in all situations. I recall seeing her on the Carol Burnett show, and they just latched on to one another like young school girls.

You're turn. Don't go too wild...

Mel was not part of my generation, but I'd heard of him. Omg a gent never asks a woman her age. I admit to being born on the other side of this century. But I can tell you I'm younger than you- by a mile However, , I do have a deep interest in music, And likely have wider ranging tastes than many people - .just came back from an all day outdoors country- folk - roots festival today. No one famous, but some really good players of 'old timey' music. But in the last couple of months I've attended concerts in various genres- singer songwriters, acoustic blues, Broadway tunes, light operatic interpretations of standards, etc.

Percussive- the backbone of the band. May I ask if you still play?

Nice to hear about Beverly. I think most of the greats often are down to earth and engaging. Maybe it's because they don't have anything to prove. Maybe it's b/c the A listers have developed a special rapport with their audience, and that is infused in who they are. I have seen a number of renowned performers. ( and mingled with a few) Most have been gems.

So I see you also have wider range of taste than the average person-and as a performer not just a listener. Well doc I'll be back shortly- so let s see what I come up with next .

Last Sunday would have been the perfect day ( at least, here in the USA) to listen to this man's signature song.

(I should have thought of him then, Rikki, but don't lose that number)

Last Sunday would have been the perfect day ( at least, here in the USA) to listen to this man's signature song.

(I should have thought of him then, Rikki, but don't lose that number)
That's probably Horace Silver, although I'm not 100% sure. You cleverly used a picture without him at the piano.

I had some of The Jazz Messengers' albums in the late 1950s, but Silver may have not been on them. Can't recall. I really liked Art Blakey though (drummer).

No, after almost a 20 year music career, I changed professions. I don't play percussion anymore, but I do tinkle around on the piano occasionally.. And, BTW, I would never ask a lady her age. I was merely postulating..

~Doc

You may not be 100% sure doc but you ARE 100% right. A young Horace Silver. My reference to last Sunday was it was Father's Day- and Horace's signature melodic tune was Song For My Father.

@Claireofthemoon ( btw I love that name, sounds like a song) was on the right track in thinking of Donald Fagen( who is white however)
of Steely Dan. The lead percussion and melody from Horace's song was copied note for note and beat for beat in the song Rikki Don't Lose That Number.

Always wished I'd learned piano, not only a beautiful sounding instrument, but useful in so many genres of music.
You got it again Doc. Have a turn.

Buddy Rich

This chap would agree with you about Buddy.