Annihilation

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Hmm, I just realized Jane Foster and Valkyrie are in this movie.

lol.

Some pleasant news: Garland is working on another science fiction project, this time for FX. The 8-part series is expected to shoot later this year.

Here’s Alex’s comments:
It’s a sort of science fiction, but it’s a much more technology based sci fi whereas Annihilation is a more hallucinogenic form of sci fi and more fantastical form of sci fi…This is slightly more in common with projects I’ve worked on like Ex Machina or Never Let Me Go which are taking something about our world now — not our world in the future, but our world as it is right now — and then drawing sort of inferences and conclusions from it.

Looking forward to seeing this, interested to know what the novel's like.

Lots of positive reactions coming out. “The Thing meets 2001.”

Some people are saying this is a must see, but others saying: like solaris meets stalker, one cannot see the point, i dont know...

You can't win an argument just by being right!
she looked hotter in the second Thor film, now she looks a bit old.
Oh noessss. She aged a month. Maybe it's time she consulted a scalpist for some work so you dont have a go at her on the net. How old are you, rambo?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Regarding her age, I think that was a deliberate progression through the movie. By the end of her journey, her character is exhausted, and probably half starved. There was a stark contrast in aappearance and mental health from start to finish. IMO

Never thought Portman looked "old" in this. Honestly the movie kind of rekindled my love for her. She's terrific in it.

You two missed, uh, rambond’s angle.
What was that, or should I not ask? I still think rambond left his laptop open and his annoying 13 year old brother hijacked his account.

I just saw it today and really enjoyed it. would love to hear from the book readers on how different the movie is.

I just saw it today and really enjoyed it. would love to hear from the book readers on how different the movie is.
I read somewhere that Garland wrote the script based on a foggy memory from him reading the book years before. I haven't read it myself but the majority opinion seems to be it didn't quite live up to the book but was still good. Apparently the encounter with the being towards the end is a lot better, it's supposed to be a lot more confused and scary as Lena's narration makes it unclear what is happening exactly and there's several different narratives going on.

It's actually a Trilogy of books but i doubt Garland will be making the others.

First film I saw with moviepass, and I enjoyed it. I thought it was beautiful too, I'm really happy with their consistent use of vibrant colors that would look odd and out of place if it wasn't so persistent.

Also the soundtrack for the first like, 80% of the film was kinda eh, then at the end it got INCREDIBLE. There's a link to the specific "song" I'm talking about but I'd consider it a spoiler for how great it is in context.

I read somewhere that Garland wrote the script based on a foggy memory from him reading the book years before. I haven't read it myself but the majority opinion seems to be it didn't quite live up to the book but was still good. Apparently the encounter with the being towards the end is a lot better, it's supposed to be a lot more confused and scary as Lena's narration makes it unclear what is happening exactly and there's several different narratives going on.
Yeah, "a foggy memory of a story" is a good way to sum up a lot of aspects of the movie. And I don't mean that in a bad way; I liked it.

That bit about the ending being better in the book makes sense, while the ending is interesting, it does feel truncated.

Also this film has a real future as a possible cult film. I know this is going to grab a certain audience pretty hard.

It's actually a Trilogy of books but i doubt Garland will be making the others.
Thanks Camo. Yes I really want to read the book now, even more than before when I think Yoda and his mother mentioned it. Amazing looking film, the acting was great, and like
Swan, rekindled my thoughts about Natalie's acting. I like the characters better than the Ex Machina characters on a first watch, but would like to marathon both now, and I love ynwtf's post.

All I can say is, stay away from opinions on the net and with friends, and just watch it first and form your own view. I think it's probably more fun that way. I had no idea what it was about other than the couple of threads on mofo and loved it. The first reviews that came up on imdb for me are negative, but it's bloody hilarious when I think about it. Hard to talk about without giving spoilers so my post is as generic as possible.

For me - a mind bender. I followed it with Little Bird. Loved that and didnt think I would as well, same for Iro's reviews about both. Think I'll just keep reading the women's mofo thread and rewatching the movies.

I also noticed that Portman looked a little aged. I don't think Rambond was "having a go at her," but his comment just sounded like a harmless observation.

Anyway, I just got back from the theater now after watching it. It did resemble Stalker meets Solaris meets 2001: A Space Oddysey (all three of which I think are superior movies). But those comparisons to me seem only surface deep. The bulk of the content of the film is psychological and scientific dialogue. There is also a lot of flashy CGI and action. Mostly I was thrilled with the dialogue. Characters study each other intently trying to figure out their motives and they very thoughtfully ask questions and answer them strategically. The less intelligent characters still have above average IQ's. And there are no flimsy fodder characters. I thought I was going to be dissapointed since I hate Oscar Isaac and hated Deus Ex Machina, but this was probably the best performance of his entire career, and for the first time I have some respect for him as an actor. Portman was phenominal. I think though that I was actually most impressed by Jennifer Jason Leigh. She impressed me a ton in Good Time too. She has been choosing such interesting roles lately.

Near the beginning of the film there was one scene where I think Portman's acting wavered. I can't quite remember it though.

I loved the theme of annihilation towards the end of the movie.

I remembered a couple flaws actually. A couple of times I felt awkward about how lowered their guards were considering how monsters could be everywhere. The other flaw was the amount of things that were unfragmented, grass for example. I realise they wouldn't be able to do that with everything, but they said all DNA, and in terms of plants it was less than 50% fragmented, and what about the human structures? Okay rocks don't have DNA, but wood does.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
When you have a question, only to have the bts say "just cause". All women in the group. No reason.

I gave up on all thoughts about tactics for a movie like this. I figured they would make their bones somewhere else.

The bear was something I completely missed the significance of. I can understand it, but I'm lost on how the house is supposed to make sense.

The only disappointment I had with the ending was how everyone acted like it was so ... It was fine for the movie, but didn't seem to warrant all the "final 15 minutes of this film" reactions.

When you have a question, only to have the bts say "just cause". All women in the group. No reason.
IIRC, all the previous expeditions had been male and the people in charge, whoever they are, wanted to test different variables.

That’s book stuff, tho. I don’t know how it applies here.

IIRC, all the previous expeditions had been male and the people in charge, whoever they are, wanted to test different variables.

That’s book stuff, tho. I don’t know how it applies here.
Yeah, the book(s) explain that but the film doesn't.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The reason they gave in the extras was that they just did. Felt kinda empty for it not to have any significance.