The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
I'm in Tron!

The People's Republic of Clogher
Steam summer sale is here, and I've bought a dramatically reduced hot new banger!

Night Trap!

Just some VR odds n sods for me, almost all in the cheeky £1 bargain bucket . (Sorry experimental devs )

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Steam summer sale is here, and I've bought a dramatically reduced hot new banger!

Night Trap!
Don't let mom catch you playing that.

Next up, Sewer Shark!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the future of console gaming speculation.

The state of internet in the U.S. is so varied, it seems that the connection rates would be more of a limiting factor than console tech. The amount of infrastructure needed (would seem) to be decades away.

If consoles are the loss leader of gaming, what is the difference in cost for the streaming site? Can we expect $100 consoles? A bunch of people use the "well, it's a bluray player", so what's the justification for a $300 roku?

What happens, happens. I know I won't embrace DLing as long as it takes over 5 hours, vs disctaneous gameplay. I also get pissed when the Netflix gets fuzzy because of internet issues. Technology will get better and this is the future, but the growing pains seem like they are gonna be ruff.

I can't see that happening for a fair few years. Maybe we'll see an alternative console streaming box sitting alongside the standard model, but I think that's all. My rural fibre is fine, and I don't have any data caps, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for long game streaming sessions.

Games themselves will have to change, too. Even on a Steam Link with a wired connection, playing any kind of rhythm or fighting game is tough to the point of impossibility. Add the latency and loss of speed that the internet will bring, and it'll be even worse.

I won't be happy until I have fiber running from the street to the back of my device.

I doubt that'll ever happen out here. I'm half a mile from the fibre cabinet so get around 30mbps download speeds - It annoys me a bit in that, when I lived in town, I was getting over double that speed and still paying the same.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I would hate the idea of streaming games as oppose to downloading them entirely or using a physical disk. Especially regarding the fore mentioned gameplay issues.

Also all this talk of wired I was thinking the future was mobile technology like 5g and beyond.

I would hate the idea of streaming games as oppose to downloading them entirely or using a physical disk. Especially regarding the fore mentioned gameplay issues.

Also all this talk of wired I was thinking the future was mobile technology like 5g and beyond.
Yeah, people seem to think that once 5G becomes the standard it'll spell the end for wired internet. 4G is patchy where I live, and I have friends who live in a blackspot where they can't even get a cell signal at all, let alone one of the Gs.

I've tried the Steam Link wirelessly - anyone with an Android phone and Steam can, as the app is free - and the latency is pretty poor.

So I noticed that Fallout 4 is now in the Xbox game pass. Downloaded it and went straight to the mods section.

Guess what? Mods work really well on console!

Obviously, they're constrained compared to the PC by virtue of there being no script extender and the Xbox's limited oomph but lauded mods like Sim Settlements, the unofficial patch, True Storms etc are all present and correct. I'm pretty impressed.

I'd been torn away from my Dark Souls Remastered playthrough and only picked it up again in the last few days. Sen's Fortress was being a complete pain - much more difficult than I remember - but I finally prevailed! Then I remembered that this bloody place is next...

So, I did the decent thing, turned tail and cleaned up Sen's, remembering about this fella as I went.

No idea why they named him Big Hat Logan.

Fortnite players on Movie Forums ?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Fortnite players on Movie Forums ?
Right here. I play on PS4 though, which doesn't allow cross-play with x-box. I play that game daily.

They just introduced a "playground" mode, which lets you build whatever, whenever, wherever, free from people shooting at you. Very Minecraft-ish.

Suspect's Reviews

I was about to make my professional PUBG streaming debut on Friday as a YouTuber mate of mine can't make his regular stream and a few of us decided to step into the breach. Then I remembered I've got a barbecue invite on Friday evening...

I'd love to cancel it but 'playing games to entertain a couple of hundred people on the internet' isn't an excuse that would cut much ice with the people involved. Damn.

We are a misunderstood generation...

(He says while placing a box on his head...)

BI-ANNUAL ELITE-DANGEROUS TIME-INVESTMENT ADVICE-DIVIDEND:

* Space prognosticators predict: the core game & the expansion will get amalgamated when the mystery new expansion is launched. (They're discontinuing Mac support. Macs can't run the planetary landing tech in the expansion. Plus other stuff. QED...)

* Expansion launch predicted to be 'some time in 2019'...

* The game is better now, but still niche, and still fairly scaffoldy in many areas.

* If you're approaching the fence, but not on it, buying the core game in a sale in the next while could net you a big swoop of game by 2019. (And make the future DLC a more affordable leap if it's desirable).

* NB the expansion will likely be the same cost as a full price game...........

* The core game is currently £8.99 on Steam (but I've seen it go as low as £5, so holding out for a cheekier deal could well be wise if you're unsure if it's for you).

**MESSAGE ENDS**

Also - Elite runs really well on consoles (I have it on all 3 platforms because I'd weird and the discounts can be massive) too. No cross play though.