Picture file size

Tools    

Yoda, what is the maximum file size for pictures posted on the forums?
I've noticed occasionally that a picture will not post, stating that the file size is too large.

I guess the size would be in kb/mb, or pixels X pixels.

Thanks,
~Doc

Isn't it more romantic to just...guess, and try again. Until the website accepts your proposal. I know that's what I used to do, until I just assumed and reduced all sizes automatically.

Maybe all MoFo needs is dinner and a movie, before all this tech stuff.

I've noticed occasionally that a picture will not post, stating that the file size is too large.

Thanks,
~Doc
From past experience uploading my own photos, 1.3mb usually upload fine. Most cameras take much larger file size than that, so you have to reduce them. Keep them under 1mb and you should be fine.

If you mean embedding images, there's no limit (though I'd strongly encourage people not to embed very large images).

If you mean attachments, I think it's just the server limit, which I believe is something like 2MB.

If you mean embedding images, there's no limit (though I'd strongly encourage people not to embed very large images).

If you mean attachments, I think it's just the server limit, which I believe is something like 2MB.
Mine might be a formatting problem then. I tried posting a pic in a thread which was 82 kb (that's "K"), and it rejected it as too large.

Will do some more study on that... Thanks.

~Doc

That should definitely upload, so I think there must be something else going on. If you can elaborate on all the specifics, that'd be helpful. Also, if you upload it to www.imgur.com and link it I can take a look.

Would also help if you posted the exact error text, since paraphrasing it as "too large" doesn't distinguish between file size or dimensions.

Thanks,
~Doc
Doc, didn't you say you use Linux OS? What is the exact file name of the photo that you are trying to upload? Maybe that's the problem.

Thanks, lads. I reduced it's size with an online photo file resizer, then posted the smaller size. I'll just do that until I can get GIMP installed. Have some package problems on my Ubuntu Mate OS....

~Doc

Can you elaborate a little on what was happening and where you were trying to upload it (and link me to the post), so I can figure out what's going on? There's definitely no way it should've been rejected at that file size.

On the topic of pictures, is there a way to access all pictures I have uploaded to MOFO in one place? I thought there used to be or maybe there never was?
Thanks.

Quick bump for @GulfportDoc, can you elaborate on what happened? I wanna make sure we don't have a bug on our hand. I'm pretty sure t here's just a missing piece of info or slight misunderstanding, but want to make sure.

On the topic of pictures, is there a way to access all pictures I have uploaded to MOFO in one place? I thought there used to be or maybe there never was?
Thanks.
There was a special image hosting function, and you could view all those. I have a vague memory of being able to view all post attachments but can't find it at the moment. If I do I'll post it here. Were you looking for it to use, or were you just curious/remembering?

There was a special image hosting function, and you could view all those. I have a vague memory of being able to view all post attachments but can't find it at the moment. If I do I'll post it here. Were you looking for it to use, or were you just curious/remembering?
I was going to use it for the survivor game so it would be easier to access pics I wanted to use multiple times, thanks either way though, I thought I remembered using it before.

Quick bump for @GulfportDoc, can you elaborate on what happened? I wanna make sure we don't have a bug on our hand. I'm pretty sure t here's just a missing piece of info or slight misunderstanding, but want to make sure.
Yoda, I don't remember the circumstances for the several times that I got the "too large" error. If it happens again, I'll note the particulars, and send them on to you.

As it is, when I do want to use a too-large file, I've had success with resizing it online, then posting it. Soon I'll have "Gimp" installed, so I can do it on my on machine.

Thanks,
~Doc

Isn't it more romantic to just...guess, and try again. Until the website accepts your proposal. I know that's what I used to do, until I just assumed and reduced all sizes automatically.

Maybe all MoFo needs is dinner and a movie, before all this tech stuff.
I love your reading of the situation cat. We've got to see romance somewhere .

If you're posting something to MoFo using a host site, like IMGUR for example... make the image no wider than 700 pixels and it won't be adjusted by MoFo's white text boxes to fit the site... and it will look crisp and clean. A good height for an image on MoFo is 500 pixels and that way it will fit the height of the page as well.
Height of an image isn't too important, but 700px wide is as wide as I'd recommend.

Actual file size isn't a problem on MoFo if you're using a hosting site... but the host site itself might not like huge files.
IMGUR hates BMP images... but, it works superbly well with PNG.
PNG is far superior to JPG images as well. PNG is loss-less format, meaning unlike JPG, they don't pick up digital noise when shared between sites and devices.

Example.
Ignore the topic of this image... the topic is redundant.
Using IMGUR:

This first one, is 700px wide, 500px tall. It fits in the white text area without MoFo needing to adjust it.

This second image, like the first one, is 500px tall, but is twice the width at 1400px wide.
As you can see, MoFo has had to squeeze the image and shrink it down so it fits inside the white text area, meaning it has lost some of its coherency and look a little blurry.

Both images are PNG, which is why the first one looks kinda jaggedy around the edges of the writing and there's no colour bleeding at the edges.

That should definitely upload, so I think there must be something else going on. If you can elaborate on all the specifics, that'd be helpful. Also, if you upload it to www.imgur.com and link it I can take a look.

Would also help if you posted the exact error text, since paraphrasing it as "too large" doesn't distinguish between file size or dimensions.
Here is the error text that appears when I attempt to post some photos: ~Doc

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource
/community/newreply.php
does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.