Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Excellent movie. Denzel was really really good & he directed too, which is not easy! Viola amazing, as per usual.

Almost bailed out of this, but glad I didn’t. Rather good. The young Norwegian star is lovely & very talented.

He just couldn't help himself could he?! Still in prison too. Stirchley said earlier, Huma deserves a medal for being with him.
I couldn’t help liking him though. Shot himself in the foot. More than once & still didn’t learn.

Just found this online so if anyone wants to write to him .... (Guessing that a lot of women will.)

The exorcist

Felt the need for a rewatch. It’s just unbelievably scary and creepy. Watch this in an old, cold house at night with the sound up like I did and feel your balls shrivell up. I’m scared right now!

There’s nothing to fault - great performances etc the list goes on. It’s a masterpiece not just a horror masterpiece.

5 out of 5
I had a novel first time with The Exorcist – happily no shrivelling went on – but I was in bed with a bad cold and eating tomato soup and cheese on toast.

I enjoyed it and wondered at the time whether I'd have found it more scary had I been religious, which is probably a very black and white reading of it. I like the bit on the stairs a lot, though I'm not sure whether that's just in a Director's Cut.

I quite like the prequels they made with Stellan Skarsgård too.

I've been binging on poliziotteschi films more than a southerner in a confederate flag shirt with the sleeves cut off at a Golden Coral. A subgenre within poliziotteschi are films set in Prohibition Era Chicago, which are noticeably filmed in Italy/Sicily: They Paid With Bullets: Chicago 1929 (1969) being a prime example. I don't think Chicago is known for its mountains and wild forests of eucalyptus trees. The dubbing on this is undoubtedly the worst I've seen within the genre - and whoever dubbed Ingrid Schoeller's part (if she didn't herself) is probably the worst/out of tune singer I've ever heard. The story is barely worth mentioning and predictable: rival gangsters squabbling over territory in Chicago.

But that's all to be expected with poliziotteschi - part of me would be dissapointed if it turned out good.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The exorcist

Felt the need for a rewatch. It’s just unbelievably scary and creepy. Watch this in an old, cold house at night with the sound up like I did and feel your balls shrivell up. I’m scared right now!

There’s nothing to fault - great performances etc the list goes on. It’s a masterpiece not just a horror masterpiece.

5 out of 5
I had a novel first time with The Exorcist – happily no shrivelling went on – but I was in bed with a bad cold and eating tomato soup and cheese on toast.

I enjoyed it and wondered at the time whether I'd have found it more scary had I been religious, which is probably a very black and white reading of it. I like the bit on the stairs a lot, though I'm not sure whether that's just in a Director's Cut.

I quite like the prequels they made with Stellan Skarsgård too.
Obviously you’re telling me about what you ate because you projectile vomited that over your partner or family member mid way through...lol.

Also - I’ve seen a few times and this was the scariest it’s been. I really took it serious and was really in the right mood. I’d forgetten all the comedy parody. Also it’s noted as being the scariest film ever made so I put that expectation away so as not to over hype. Just was really focus and admired it as a film first, really got sucked into the world with
believable performances, the film was a slow build and the horror mounted and then the shrivelling began lol.

Haven’t seen any of the sequels or prequels any of them honestly. Maybe I should I just haven’t heard much good.

Yea I had edition where she spider walks down the stairs - very frightening, think it’s a fine addition.

I’m not religious myself but the concept of a greater being and perhaps and evil being truly creeps me out more so that a physically strong type killer whom really - if it bleeds you can kill it whereas the devil is more a psyche head fk type thing.

Ready Player One (2018) (Dir. Steven Spielberg)

So corporatism is bad but the consumerist culture that drives it is the meaning of life? The movie never questions its nostalgia trappings or placing this much importance on empty pop culture as being the foundation of your identity. Tries to tack on a lazy footnote about staying in the real world that isn't supported by anything else in the film. Treasures connections and community but can't admit capitalism fragments/atomizes society and pits one another against each other, the latter point being best exemplified by the fact the movie is about a zero sum competition...

Even outside of its ideological failings, Spy Kids 3D accomplished the same **** without relying on outside references as cheap heat. So damn corny.

King Arthur (2004)

Roman legionnaire mythos blends with Arthurian legend bound to continually safeguard lands which are not their own, to their perpetual resentment. Doesn't matter what they do, it's never enough for their pompous Roman overseers. Sure it's always been made fun of as a Bruckheimer apparatus capitalizing on his Pirates success. Funny, it always worked for me as a call to achieve in the face of scrutiny.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Knights March

Troy (2004)

Two emerging nations clash after Trojan prince Paris convinces Helen, Queen of Sparta, to leave her husband and sail back with him to Troy. For my age generation, a callback staple film. Never hesitate. Nervous? Petrified.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Achilles & His Mother Thetis

Obviously you’re telling me about what you ate because you projectile vomited that over your partner or family member mid way through...lol.
Well exactly, it was a peculiar coincidence that I should be having soup.

Haven’t seen any of the sequels or prequels any of them honestly. Maybe I should I just haven’t heard much good.
Last time I saw them I had it in mind that Dominion was the better attempt at a prequel than Exorcist: The Beginning. Actually I think there are good and bad parts in both. I suppose it's the same with the different edits of Exorcist III, but I'm not that familiar with them.

Hotel Du Nord (1938)

I'll watch anything from director Marcel Carne since his Children in Paradise is one of the best movies I've ever seen. This movie is only an hour and a half long, yet it dragged a bit for me. I found the central story very intriguing, but the subplots not so much despite my fascination with actress Arletty. It's a nice look at old Paris with beautiful sets. I just wish I could have gotten into it more.

Klass (2007)

-

I had been looking for this Estonian movie for a couple of years, so I watched it right away when I found it this morning on YouTube with subtitles. It's a very authentic feeling story of a high school boy who is bullied. One of the "cool" boys helps him, and then he becomes a victim as well. It gets worse and worse until it can't get any worse. The ending is predictable but it packs a punch, horrifying yet satisfying.

The Chase (2017)

6/10. Has two very different sides to it. Parts of it are comic, parts are dark. But a little melodramatic. Still a decent watch on Netflix.

Klass (2007)

-

I had been looking for this Estonian movie for a couple of years, so I watched it right away when I found it this morning on YouTube with subtitles. It's a very authentic feeling story of a high school boy who is bullied. One of the "cool" boys helps him, and then he becomes a victim as well. It gets worse and worse until it can't get any worse. The ending is predictable but it packs a punch, horrifying yet satisfying.

You can try the one that got nominated two or three years ago. Mandiriind. I am not sure if I spelled it right. I liked it better than the one that won the Oscars. Leviathan