16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Good question. I was thinking about starting the 30s Hof too. I could actually do it tomorrow as I have the day off. But I want to make sure that most people are ready to join. I'm pretty sure it won't be a big Hof, so not many movies.

@HashtagBrownies @Siddon @cricket @neiba @edarsenal @Miss Vicky @Okay @rauldc14 @moviemad @pahaK are you guys interested in joining a 1930s Hof soon?
Soon is fine for me. Only have three movies left on this HoF. Will need to watch some of my potential candidates next, I suppose.

I don't think I'm going to join the 30s HOF. I've never participated in any of the decade HOFs and I can't think of a single 1930s movie that I like well enough to nominate. I'll let you know if that changes.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Good question. I was thinking about starting the 30s Hof too. I could actually do it tomorrow as I have the day off. But I want to make sure that most people are ready to join. I'm pretty sure it won't be a big Hof, so not many movies.

@HashtagBrownies @Siddon @cricket @neiba @edarsenal @Miss Vicky @Okay @rauldc14 @moviemad @pahaK are you guys interested in joining a 1930s Hof soon?
should be fun. NO IDEA what I'd nominate, but yeah

I don't think I'm going to join the 30s HOF. I've never participated in any of the decade HOFs and I can't think of a single 1930s movie that I like well enough to nominate. I'll let you know if that changes.

So do what I did with the foreign field and do a blind nom, pick one of the highest ranked films from the 30's you haven't seen and use that one.

http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?decade=1930

Found my nomination for the 30s HoF. It's not great film per se but pretty okay. Will refrain from posting the review for now so that the title remains secret until all the noms are revealed.

movies can be okay...
I hope I can join the 30's HoF, but I'm not sure I can. Time will tell.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

So do what I did with the foreign field and do a blind nom, pick one of the highest ranked films from the 30's you haven't seen and use that one.

http://www.flickchart.com/Charts.aspx?decade=1930
I don't do blind nominations. The biggest part of the appeal of these for me is getting to read others' thoughts on some of the movies that I love. If I arbitrarily choose some unseen film based on popularity or reputation, there's a damn good chance that I won't even like my own nomination.

movies can be okay...
3:10 to Yuma (2007) by James Mangold

A pretty enjoyable flick this was, with more worthy drama than in the rest of its kind. The acting is all around great by the entirety of the cast, although, I'm not sure where the craze for Ben Foster is coming for, since he didn't really stand out acting wise, at least in my eyes. The cinematography is better than one would expect, I for one was craving for more shots of the deserted landscape. The characters and their interactions, while very "seen it before", were still done pretty well.

Though, I can't help but be sick and tired of the cool and charming, but totally badass villain in action films, it has become a trope now, and I'm not a fan of it. Just as much as I'm not a fan of another trope, which allows hundreds of bullets to be shot off, by men of experience, without anything ever landing on the target. There are more clichés in the movie, along with elements that simply don't make any sense, but those are just petty nitpicks, which aren't even worth mentioning. I still would've preferred more originality from the story, and to have it at least be less by the books, but with this being a remake of a much older film, I guess I should give its plot way more credit, since it preceded all of the occurrences of the excessive usage.

What I enjoyed the most was Bale's character, and the slow reveal of his past and motives, that was done exceptionally well with absolute smoothness and finesse. Contrarily to the latter, I was very iffy about how everything ended, and as much as I try to rationalize Ben Wade's actions throughout this ending, I'm still left with a little bit of emptiness. I even checked out the original's ending, which wasn't that great either, but still more acceptable.

WARNING: "More about the ending..." spoilers below
You can say that Ben Wade saw a lot of himself in William, so seeing his reaction to his father's death, definitely brought back Wade's own repressed memories. You could also add, that Dan and Wade's unique relationship, in a way, made the latter kinda convert to the "good" side. With all of that being said, Ben turning on his gang might not be the most unfathomable thing, but it still leaves him turning on Charlie to be a bit more unacceptable and uncharacteristic of him. This might be just me wrongly interpreting his character, but I fathom there's a lot of history between Wade and Charlie, so the fact that he could easily shoot him like that seemed way off. I mean he couldn't even kill Dan or William, so why would his character kill Charlie, with absolute ease.

Anyway, for a guy who avoids westerns like the plague, this was a very enjoyable movie all throughout.

I found the ending to the 50s version of 3:10 to be completely stupid. Yay let's shoehorn in a happily ever after!
It completely ruined the film for me. Though admittedly I've never read Elmore Leonard's original short story so I don't know which film was truer to the source material.

But I'm glad you mostly enjoyed it.

movies can be okay...
For me, it's not really about whether it's a goodie goodie happily ever after type of ending or not, but rather about an ending that fits with what came before. It's not a good ending, but it's a more acceptable one in my eyes. The remake's ending feels just as shoehorn in, and only intended for shock value.

I don't know, they aren't exactly my type of films.
Hashtag, what kind of movies do you tend to like? I think you've nominated horror type films before. The 30s has lots of great horror films, both monster type and the psychological type.

Check this out! It's a Top 50 1930s Horror list, (not mine) but some great choices here. I think you might dig some of these.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls003683595/

Hashtag, what kind of movies do you tend to like? I think you've nominated horror type films before. The 30s has lots of great horror films, both monster type and the psychological type.

Check this out! It's a Top 50 1930s Horror list, (not mine) but some great choices here. I think you might dig some of these.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls003683595/
I don tend to go towards horror movies, some ones there are actually on my watch-list. I'll definitely think about it.

That looks like the one I watched. I wonder why it didn't pop up for me.
I dunno? I just typed Mr Freedom at Youtube sight and filtered it for longer than 20 minutes. It might not be the full movie. I can't tell.