Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hadn’t seen this for decades. Good movie. Huge thing made of the closing scene still shot (featured in this poster). Lifted directly from Frank Capra’s iconic still shot of the death of a Spanish Civil War soldier.

Not bad. Can someone explain the acclaim & adulation over this movie? I don’t get it at all. If Ryan Gosling weren’t in the movie, I would have bailed out.

Man, Hereditary (2018) was all hype for me. Once the horror movie actually begins after an hour and a half, it's not nearly as frightening as the reviews are saying it is. Hereditary isn't a bad movie (it's actually quite good) but the pacing is the problem here. I understand that this is a slow burn, but man, instead of building suspense; you get bored out of your mind for a majority of the film. Though Toni Collette acts her ass off in this – she should get an Oscar nod, but since this is a horror film that came out during the summer, I doubt any attention will be paid to her performance.

RATING:

Watched What Happened to Monday (2017) on a whim, and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Nothing really new to see here - all of the soldiers in the film are basically Storm Troopers, who are easily outsmarted/overpowered by various Noomi Rapaces.

RATING:

Re-watched this poorly named/marketed series that was MURDERED in the crib by a dingo, conjured by the disinterest of the unappreciative viewer. TNT hit gold with this show, which should have been a contender, but unfortunately, was canceled after 6 episodes.

RATING:

Shogun's Sadism: The Joys of Torture 2 (1976)

Infamous Japanese picture that features two totally different 40 minute films. Both have plenty of shocks if you're into that sort of thing. It's pretty well made making it all the more effective. The second film has a scene featuring a naked woman and some cute puppies, a scene I found oddly pleasing.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. I personally thought it was brilliant.
+.

Also, My Friend Dahmer (toolazytolookitup, 2017)
-
I found it to be over directed and whilst the strength of the performances and the anticipation hold back that annoyance for the first third, the plot crumbles after that for me.

Plain excessive takes that were driving me mad. Aster goes out of his way to make this feel unique but much of this movie is sleep inducing as a result. There are some great moments particularly an absolutely fantastic scene with Alex Wolff & pretty much everything involving Ann Dowd. Toni Collette's over acting did not impress me... Also, for all the talk of avoiding horror cliché, I think it descends into horror cliché for the final 20 minutes.

Very slow (almost bailed out), but turned into a good movie that I’m glad I finished. Joseph Gordon-Levitt excellent in his starring rôle.

Bronson played it very cool and was perfect for the role. The sequels got more ridiculous as they went on. They're all better than Suspiria though!
Bronson as Paul was far more believable in my opinion. A quiet assurance...I'm a fan though ("The Evil that men do" in particular)..Willis did a good enough job but lacked the outright nastiness that Charles brought to the role.

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. I personally thought it was brilliant.
+.

Also, My Friend Dahmer (toolazytolookitup, 2017)
-
I found it to be over directed and whilst the strength of the performances and the anticipation hold back that annoyance for the first third, the plot crumbles after that for me.

Plain excessive takes that were driving me mad. Aster goes out of his way to make this feel unique but much of this movie is sleep inducing as a result. There are some great moments particularly an absolutely fantastic scene with Alex Wolff & pretty much everything involving Ann Dowd. Toni Collette's over acting did not impress me... Also, for all the talk of avoiding horror cliché, I think it descends into horror cliché for the final 20 minutes.
Eh, different strokes for different folks I guess. I thought the camera movement and framing of shots alone took this film to the top-tier.

I’ll agree with you that it’s slow as heck (I actually missed the eulogy portion of it); but once the “big accident” happens it reaches brilliance. Once this happens, it becomes such an interesting exploration of grief. The way Wolff’s character reacts to his own guilt, as well as the haunting is genius. Toni’s performance was such a gut punch that I’ll be surprised if we aren’t talking about it come the end of the year. I’m unfortunately a person who has had a similar situation happen to them, and I will say that the way she embodies the characters grief is one of the most accurate depictions I’ve seen.

I’ll agree with the ending falling into a cliche a bit, and doesn’t leave much ambiguity but it is certainly able to make its mark on the viewer.

Watched the original Suspiria on Saturday. I rate it 8/10
2 points from perfect for some plot holes as well as for some over acting. Otherwise an incredible movie that I'm happy to have as part of my permanent collection.

Couldn't agree with you more on Hereditary, Gangland. This movie was hyped as much as 'A Quiet Place' in some realms, and these movies aren't even close to the same tier in my opinion.

Over the weekend I checked out The Incredibles 2. Embarrassing to admit, but I watched the first one for the first time just a few weeks ago in preparation. It was a great movie but I thought the sequel improved on it in just about every way. It had more humor, more action, more screentime for many of the characters, and I thought the overall plot was slightly better as well. I've seen many reviews that say how it's "not even close to the original" but I really think that's just nostalgia talking (I've been guilty of it before as well). Since I don't have that nostalgic connection with the first one I feel like I can look at both films a bit more objectively. The first one is definitely great (I'm planning on rewatching it again soon) but I thought the sequel was amazing. I'd be all in for a third one--and seeing that it has the highest-grossing weekend debut for an animated film--I'm thinking that it's a pretty big possibility.

The Incredibles (2004) -

The Incredibles 2 (2018) -

Megapiranha (2010)

Asylum nonsense with a 1980s one-hit-wonder and a non-actor stuntman in the two lead roles.

Awful CGI effects, no acting talent whatsoever, zero charisma between the cast.
Way over dubbed in the sound looping... basically whenever someone speaks, their voice sounds as if they're 3 inches away from the mic, even if they're upstage.
The crew also seem to know the movie has absolutely no peril, so they've taken to having the camera constantly swaying from side to side to add some sort of tension to the scenes.
What makes it more disorientating is that the cast are doing the same thing, swaying side to side to try and add some sort of urgency to the scenes.
There's also constant music in the background, and none of it fits the scene in which it's placed.

"No matter what it takes, get those scientists here... they're the only ones who know how to kill fish"

Even for The Asylum, this is rock bottom. Avoid.

movies can be okay...
Akira (1988) by Katsuhiro Ôtomo

I can totally see people speaking about Akira, similarly to Kubrick's 2001. My experience with both films definitely have a lot in common, and even though I highly prefer one from the other, I can still acknowledge that they're so and so on the same level, quality wise.

If anything puts Akira down, it's how overwhelming it can become, with its underdeveloped plot threads popping up everywhere one goes, so it was no surprise to find out that the film is a cramming of a more flourished and expanded manga. Granted, this opinion of mine can possibly change with repeated viewings, which I'm sure the movie will benefit from, but there's still a few plot elements that I don't think could be fixed that way, such as how forced Kaneda's connection to Kei is. It seemed that their whole relationship only existed, in order to give reasons for their existence in certain scenes.

On the other hand, there's a lot that holds Akira up, from the fantastic and energetic animation, to the atmospheric soundtrack, to the thematic elements of the film, or to just the straight up cool and awesome moments. It certainly offers an experience unfindable elsewhere.

+
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Pixote (1981)

I never noticed this movie until a few days ago. It's highly acclaimed and is on Ebert's great movie list. I saw it compared to Los Olvidados and I'd say that's accurate, and I'd also say it has a taste of City of God. It's about poor delinquent youth in Brazil. The way it started out I thought it was going to be a documentary, but it's just a short introduction. The first hour is set in the reformatory where we get to know several of the boys. Then the rest of the movie we watch some of those boys as they get out and engage in bad behavior. Most of these boys never had a chance. There is not much of a story and the movie feels very authentic. Much of the cast is comprised of local troubled youth, rather than professional actors. In fact, the boy who plays the title character, pictured in the middle, was killed by Brazilian police when he was 19. Everything about this movie is unpleasant, but it's also great. There's a perfect copy on YouTube with English subtitles.

Welcome to the human race...
Akira (1988) by Katsuhiro Ôtomo

I can totally see people speaking about Akira, similarly to Kubrick's 2001. My experience with both films definitely have a lot in common, and even though I highly prefer one from the other, I can still acknowledge that they're so and so on the same level, quality wise.

If anything puts Akira down, it's how overwhelming it can become, with its underdeveloped plot threads popping up everywhere one goes, so it was no surprise to find out that the film is a cramming of a more flourished and expanded manga. Granted, this opinion of mine can possibly change with repeated viewings, which I'm sure the movie will benefit from, but there's still a few plot elements that I don't think could be fixed that way, such as how forced Kaneda's connection to Kei is. It seemed that their whole relationship only existed, in order to give reasons for their existence in certain scenes.

On the other hand, there's a lot that holds Akira up, from the fantastic and energetic animation, to the atmospheric soundtrack, to the thematic elements of the film, or to just the straight up cool and awesome moments. It certainly offers an experience unfindable elsewhere.

+
I once read many years ago that "Akira fans say it starts to make sense after seven viewings", though I do think that's a bit of a hyperbolic statement, like saying that you need to listen to Trout Mask Replica a hundred times to truly get it (which may or may not be true, I haven't done that yet). I think the Kaneda/Kei relationship functions well enough since they both work as foils for each other - he's the reluctant idiot anti-hero who sort of has to get dragged into the main narrative somehow and it might as well be through his unrequited crush on a political agitator who also wants to find Tetsuo.

Last movie...

Boar -

-ing.

Pixote (1981)

I never noticed this movie until a few days ago. It's highly acclaimed and is on Ebert's great movie list. I saw it compared to Los Olvidados and I'd say that's accurate, and I'd also say it has a taste of City of God. It's about poor delinquent youth in Brazil. The way it started out I thought it was going to be a documentary, but it's just a short introduction. The first hour is set in the reformatory where we get to know several of the boys. Then the rest of the movie we watch some of those boys as they get out and engage in bad behavior. Most of these boys never had a chance. There is not much of a story and the movie feels very authentic. Much of the cast is comprised of local troubled youth, rather than professional actors. In fact, the boy who plays the title character, pictured in the middle, was killed by Brazilian police when he was 19. Everything about this movie is unpleasant, but it's also great. There's a perfect copy on YouTube with English subtitles.

That's on my watchlist, glad you rated it highly.