Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

A Night to Remember (1958)

Huzzah! Now wasn't this so much better than that fiction-laden, CGI chick-flick?

I remember seeing this for the first time in my late teens and it blew me away. It's aptly named because I never forgot A Night to Remember. Re-watched it recently too!
It was one of the few Titanic films to address the role the SS Californian played in the disaster - the ship was only a few miles away from the Titanic and could have largely prevented the huge loss of life with time to spare if only things had gone a little differently.

I'm one of those who says this is still the BEST film about the Titanic ever made.

Titanic (1953)

Director: Jean Negulesco
Writers: Charles Brackett, Walter Reisch
Cast: Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner, Audrey Dalton, Richard Basehart, Thelma Ritter
Genre: Drama, History, Romance

"An unhappily married couple struggle to deal with their problems while on board the ill-fated ship."

Titanic (1953) not to be confused with Titanic (1997), though both films share much similarities. Titanic (1953) was a big Hollywood film that won an Oscar for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay. I use to think this was my favorite older version of the ship called R.M.S. Titanic but after watching A Night To Remember (1957) a few days ago I realized that film was superior to this one. However this is still a good film and well worth watching.

This one tells the story as a backdrop to an older couple's martial problems. The wife played by Barbara Stanwyck wants to take her two children back to her small hometown in America. The husband (Clifton Webb) is a snobbish, well-to-do tycoon who wants his children raised in the lap of luxury and class in Europe. I didn't think their martial problems were all that interesting. To make matters worse Clifton Webb plays a heartless father and husband who's so cold that you don't mind seeing him take a dip in the North Atlantic.

A secondary romance is between the older teen daughter (Audrey Dalton) and a young Robert Wagner, who's a breath of fresh air to the otherwise stuffy characters. The young couple are interesting and of course the doomed ship threatens their newly found love.

I didn't find the sinking disaster as tragic or as real as in A Night To Remember. They did do a good job though and it looks like the actors are indeed fleeing for their lives. Well except the 1500 who went down with the ship.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanic 1953.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	45482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanic 1953 (4).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	45483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanic 1953 (3).jpg
Views:	315
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	45484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Titanic 1953 (2).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	45485  

Winchester (2018)

Directors: Michael Spierig (as The Spierig Brothers), Peter Spierig (as The Spierig Brothers)
Writers: Tom Vaughan, Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig
Cast: Helen Mirren, Sarah Snook, Finn Scicluna-O'Prey
Genre: Biography, Fantasy, Horror

"Ensconced in her sprawling California mansion, eccentric firearm heiress Sarah Winchester believes she is haunted by the souls of people killed by the Winchester repeating rifle."

A PG-13 Biography, Fantasy, Horror. OK, not my type of movie, but I was interested in the biography-true story of the real Winchester mansion and the lady who made it. So I thought, 'why not watch this, I mean it's got Helen Miren so how bad can it be?'

How bad? pretty bad...It had an unimaginative story that might entertain 14 year olds, but had me thinking 'yeah whatever'.

The acting by Sarah Snook was flat and wooden. Every time she spoke she took me right out of the movie. Not a good thing. Now, I've seen Miss Snook in other stuff and she was good, but here she just didn't get a handle on her character.

Jason Clarke who plays the opium taking doctor who's sent to evaluate the mental condition of Mrs Winchester, was just a tad more palatable than Sarah Snook. But I swear the two of them were treating the movie like a made for TV production.

The movie does deliver one thing, at least partially...it shows us the inside of this mysteriously big mansion with stairs that go nowhere and doors that open into nothing. So that was cool to see. And true to form Helen Miren makes the movie watchable. She's good.

But as far as being scary, nope...and as far as being clever or entertaining? I'd rather watch The Haunting (1963) or even William Castle's 13 Ghost (1960)

Attachments

Name:	Winchester 2018 (1).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	45528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winchester 2018 (2).jpg
Views:	234
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	45529  

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That's a shame about Winchester but I'd still like to see the house and Helen!

Did they actually use the house?

I think I said this somewhere in another thread but Winchester is the worst film of the year so far for me.
Lol. I've seen that a few times so you're in good company, it seems.

That's a shame about Winchester but I'd still like to see the house and Helen!

Did they actually use the house?
I don't know? I kind of think they didn't shoot in the real house...but the house in the movie was cool and Helen was great of course. And that's about the only 2 good things. At least I never got bored and the movie went fast.

I think I said this somewhere in another thread but Winchester is the worst film of the year so far for me.
Ha, I think I've only seen 2 or maybe 3 films from this year so far. I have a hard time finding good new films to watch. Have you seen much from this year?

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Ha, I think I've only seen 2 or maybe 3 films from this year so far. I have a hard time finding good new films to watch. Have you seen much from this year?
I feel like I have, the count is 27 so far, I have a thread dedicated solely to the 2018 films.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=52698

You might find one that peaks your interest.

On a side note, I remember you telling me to watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest already. Just finished it right now actually! Hahaha

I feel like I have, the count is 27 so far, I have a thread dedicated solely to the 2018 films.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=52698

You might find one that peaks your interest.

On a side note, I remember you telling me to watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest already. Just finished it right now actually! Hahaha
Thanks I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I'm heading off to watch some old Twilight Zone

I don't know? I kind of think they didn't shoot in the real house...but the house in the movie was cool and Helen was great of course. And that's about the only 2 good things. At least I never got bored and the movie went fast.
I remember reading that there is little footage from the actual house but practically everything was shot in studio because the house was too crammed to set up cameras and stuff.

Thank you, pahak. Stunning sets then. I wonder how long something like that takes to replicate.

Elvis and Anabelle (2007)
Director: Will Geiger
Writer: Will Geiger
Cast: Blake Lively, Max Minghella, Joe Mantegna
Genre: Drama, Romance

Anabelle (Blake Lively) is a local beauty queen with a bossy stage mother (Mary Steenburegen) who's hell bent on making her daughter the next Miss Texas Rose at what ever the cost. She pushes her and pushes her, and when Anabella goes to vomit to make her tummy flatter, she flat out dies after winning the crown. She ends up dead and in a small town mortuary run out of a run down old house by Elvis, no not that Elvis. This Elvis (Max Minghella) is an embittered lonely young man who's a misfit and hates everything around him including himself, except his father (Joe Mantana) who he loves and takes care of. The problems start when he falls in love with the dead beauty queen, who awakens on the table and has no idea where she is.
CR

Blake Lively makes this movie special! She shines in this. I've said this before buy Blake has real star quality potential. If only she could land herself in a great film, I thing she would be one of the top stars working. This movie, ain't great, but it's still got a lot going for it.

Elvis and Anabelle
is a small Indie film, the type that didn't get a big theater release and so is not well known today. It starts out with a rather catchy, albeit dark song that seems to set the tone of the film. But don't be fooled, as the film goes along the light creeps in and just maybe love will save the day.

Oh that's Keith Carradine as the step dad who's suppose to be a creep when he's drunk, only we never see that, but Anabelle does say that to Elvis.

I do have one complaint, and that is Max Minghella's character. Max is probably a good actor but he's ill suited to this movie. I'm talking zero chemistry with Blake. He plays his character so damn negative, that he made Oscar Levant look like a charmer....Which is sad, as if another actor had been hired that could do both lonely outcast and likable underdog, then this movie might have been a cult classic. Thus helping the effervescent Blake Lively to go onto bigger and better things. But as it is Max Minghella's character is such a weird downer that you don't want him to wind up with the down to earth beauty queen.

+

Attachments

Name:	WN01396-F.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	45552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvis and Anabelle 2007 (1).jpg
Views:	4890
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	45553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvis and Anabelle 2007 (3).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	45555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvis and Anabelle.2007 (2).jpg
Views:	300
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	45556  

Going My Way (1944)

Director: Leo McCarey
Writers: Frank Butler & Frank Cavett (screenplay)
Cast: Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald, Frank McHugh, Jean Heather, Gene Lockhart
Genre: Comedy Drama

A young upstart Catholic Father, Chuck O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is sent by a Bishop to take over a financially destitute parish in a poor neighborhood. The church is in such financial trouble that the elderly Father Fitzgibbon (Barry Fitzgerald) can't bring in enough money to kept it going. To protect the feelings of the elderly Father, the younger Father pretends to have been sent as an assistant. The two men don't see eye to eye, as one is very old fashioned and the other very progressive.CR

Going My Way was a huge success back in 1944. It was the highest grossing film of that year and was nominated for a whooping 10 Academy Awards!
It won seven Oscars including:

Best Actor Bing Crosby
Best Supporting Actor Barry Fitzgerald
Best Director
Best Original Story
Best Screenplay

It spawned a sequel, The Bells of St. Mary's, which also featured Bing as Father O'Malley and starred Ingrid Bergman.

But back to Going My Way, I thought this was a gem! It's one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time. It weaves several stories of the troubled people in the parish, along with the main story of the two Fathers. The characters are three dimensional and very human. The film is sentimental, but...not too much, it has just enough humanistic qualities to make the story captivating.

Two of the stories are about a group of delinquent kids from the poor streets of the parish. They're always getting in trouble and stealing stuff. The younger Father decides the best way to help them is to teach them to sing, so he forms a boys choir. The second story involves a pretty young woman who runs away from home and is mistaken by the police as a street walker. Father O'Malley gives her some advice on singing, as she sings too, and helps set her on the correct course in life.

Bing is quite good in this, but it's Barry Fitzgerald who steals the show. He's perfectly suited to his role. He's played other priest before but his performance here is my all time favorite of his.

Going My Way...I love this film! They don't make them this anymore.
++

Attachments

Name:	Going My Way 1944.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	45658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going My Way 1944 a.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	45661  

The Bells of St. Mary's
(1945)

Director: Leo McCarey
Writers: Dudley Nichols (screenplay), Leo McCarey (story)
Cast: Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Henry Travers
Genre: Drama Comedy

At a big city Catholic school, Father O'Malley and Sister Benedict indulge in friendly rivalry, and succeed in extending the school through the gift of a building.

The sequel to 1944's Going My Way. This time Father O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is sent by the head Bishop to St. Mary's, a Catholic school in financial trouble. It's headed by an order of nuns. The head nun is Sister Benedict (Ingrid Bergman). Both of them get along fine, but differ in the ways they do things, this then causes good natured conflict and makes for comedy-drama situations.

Barry Fitzgerald does not reprise his role as he couldn't! If you've seen Going My Way, you'll know why. In his place is a business man (Henry Travers) who played the angel in It's A Wonderful Life. Here he owns a huge building nearby to the falling down Catholic school. Then nuns would like nothing more that for this business man to donate his entire building which isn't even completed yet, to them...so they can run a modern school.

I liked this OK, but the script is more forced, the comedy more predictable and Hollywood-ish. Henry Travers was no replacement for the wonderful Barry Fitzgerald.

Still worth a watch.
Attachments

Name:	The Bells of St. Marys 1945.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	45666   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Bells of St. Marys 1945 (2).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	45668  

Titanic (1953)

Director: Jean Negulesco
Writers: Charles Brackett, Walter Reisch
Cast: Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner, Audrey Dalton, Richard Basehart, Thelma Ritter
Genre: Drama, History, Romance

"An unhappily married couple struggle to deal with their problems while on board the ill-fated ship."

Titanic (1953) not to be confused with Titanic (1997), though both films share much similarities. Titanic (1953) was a big Hollywood film that won an Oscar for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay. I use to think this was my favorite older version of the ship called R.M.S. Titanic but after watching A Night To Remember (1957) a few days ago I realized that film was superior to this one. However this is still a good film and well worth watching.

This one tells the story as a backdrop to an older couple's martial problems. The wife played by Barbara Stanwyck wants to take her two children back to her small hometown in America. The husband (Clifton Webb) is a snobbish, well-to-do tycoon who wants his children raised in the lap of luxury and class in Europe. I didn't think their martial problems were all that interesting. To make matters worse Clifton Webb plays a heartless father and husband who's so cold that you don't mind seeing him take a dip in the North Atlantic.

A secondary romance is between the older teen daughter (Audrey Dalton) and a young Robert Wagner, who's a breath of fresh air to the otherwise stuffy characters. The young couple are interesting and of course the doomed ship threatens their newly found love.

I didn't find the sinking disaster as tragic or as real as in A Night To Remember. They did do a good job though and it looks like the actors are indeed fleeing for their lives. Well except the 1500 who went down with the ship.

Yeah, this one is good, but it (and its namesake) don't compare to A Night To Remember.

Like the 1997 version, this one engages in fictional stories set aboard the ship. JMO, but the fictional dramas seem to take away from the intensity of the actual event as captured in ANTR, it's like the Titanic becomes a setting and not the primary focus of the story.

And if I remember correctly, this one ends rather abruptly, covering very little of the aftermath: the lifeboats, the survivors and the rescue (whereas A Night To Remember seemed to spend an adequate amount of time covering the lifeboats and search for survivors).

Yeah, this one is good, but it (and its namesake) don't compare to A Night To Remember.

Like the 1997 version, this one engages in fictional stories set aboard the ship. JMO, but the fictional dramas seem to take away from the intensity of the actual event as captured in ANTR, it's like the Titanic becomes a setting and not the primary focus of the story.
That's exactly what the movie was going for, fictionalized drama with the Titanic's sinking as the backdrop. I like fictionalized drama BTW, but here it's not well done.

I've seen many films based on the Titanic and most go for the human drama, which I suppose is easier and cheaper to film. There was a TV movie from 1997 also called Titanic that told the story from the lives of the people aboard. I think it did a good job, I should see it again. It was the first movie to show the Titanic breaking in two.

And if I remember correctly, this one ends rather abruptly, covering very little of the aftermath: the lifeboats, the survivors and the rescue (whereas A Night To Remember seemed to spend an adequate amount of time covering the lifeboats and search for survivors).
Very true, the in-the-freezing-water with Lt Lightoller and his struggle on top of an overturned life boat made for a lot of heart felt excitement. I mean you could feel the desperate situation, it seemed real...As a kid I once filled a sink full of ice cold water, with as many ice cubes as I could fit into it. Then I put my hand in it to see what the Titanic survivors would have felt. It hurt like hell! It felt like a million needles piercing my skin.

Speaking of ship disaster movies, this got me remembering one starring Robert Stack called The Last Voyage (1960).

Have you even seen or heard of it, Rules?

It pre-dates the Poseidon Adventure and is in color.
Unlike the Poseidon Adventure it doesn't follow an ensemble of characters (ala typical Irwin Allen disaster movies), but pretty much focuses on one family (can't tell much more without spoilers).

I happened to catch it in the middle on TCM one day and had to watch it to the end - then luckily I found it again and watched the whole thing. It does a good job with tension and suspense and the cinematography is very realistic as I believe most of it was filmed on a real ship - worth a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054016...nm_flmg_act_56

Speaking of ship disaster movies, this got me remembering one starring Robert Stack called The Last Voyage (1960).

Have you even seen or heard of it, Rules?

It pre-dates the Poseidon Adventure and is in color.
Unlike the Poseidon Adventure it doesn't follow an ensemble of characters (ala typical Irwin Allen disaster movies), but pretty much focuses on one family (can't tell much more without spoilers).

I happened to catch it in the middle on TCM one day and had to watch it to the end - then luckily I found it again and watched the whole thing. It does a good job with tension and suspense and the cinematography is very realistic as I believe most of it was filmed on a real ship - worth a look.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054016...nm_flmg_act_56
No, I hadn't heard of it, thanks for recommending it. I love ship sinking movies!

No, I hadn't heard of it, thanks for recommending it. I love ship sinking movies!
I looked at some trivia for this one and it is "based" on the sinking of the Andrea Doria, but what's really coincidental is that the ship used in the movie is the real life S.S. Ile de France which was the ship that came to the rescue of the Andrea Doria.

I looked at some trivia for this one and it is "based" on the sinking of the Andrea Doria, but what's really coincidental is that the ship used in the movie is the real life S.S. Ile de France which was the ship that came to the rescue of the Andrea Doria.
Have I mentioned The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959) to you? I just seen it a while back and I even reviewed it too. Amazing movie, very realistic looking ship scenes, especially the boarding of the ship in heavy storms from a smaller ship looked great. It's one part action, one part thriller, one part drama and a whole bunch parts mystery. I'd never seen it before but damn it's got it all.