Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Are you guys going to finish this or drop out?
I was talking to Movie Mad a little while ago. They were having difficulty locating some of the nominations, but were eager to continue. I haven't heard from Luis, Captain T, or Nope in awhile. I sent out a couple of PMs to the people with low watch counts, but didn't get a response from either of them.

Nope did post in the thread saying he was still in, but that was nearly 2 months ago now I think. Hopefully he gives us another update soon.

Yes, I'm going to finish. I always finish. I've been in more Hofs than I can count and I've finished them all.

I'll be watching soon:
The Saragossa Manuscript Nemanja

I'm waiting to see if Luis keeps participating before I watch his nom:
Pan's Labyrinth Luis

And I'm not watching these, unless a miracle happens and they complete the Hof.
Borgman CaptainT...1/1 Joined 1 previous Hof and dropped out
La Haine Nope1172...0/15 Joined 8 previous Hofs and dropped out of 4

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Cosmic Runway - Phoenix - Done
Thursday Next - The Age of Shadows - 13/15
Citizen Rules - Umbrellas of Cherbourg - 11/15
Edarsenal - Assassination - 10/15
Siddon - Thelma 10/15
Mija Frost - Samsara 9/15
Okay - Benny's Video 9/15
Ultraviolence - The Leopard 9/15
Nemanja - The Saragossa Manuscript 8/15
Cricket - Sword of Doom 7/15
@moviemad - The Belier Family 6/15
@Scarlet Lion - Entre Nos 5/15
@Luis - Pan's Labyrinth 5/15
@Captain T - Borgman 1/15
@Nope1172 - La Haine 0/15

Definitely not dropping out, I've watched two more, haven't had time to write reviews, it's been a tough week.

6/15 Phoenix (2014)

Director: Christian Petzold

Another solid film. This one takes a very interesting and different approach to your typical reunion romance film, and I really appreciated the originality of the plot, it's one that you could definitely squeeze a lot of juice from. The acting is very strong from both of our leads, they absolutely sold every single scene they were in together, this is especially impressive when you consider the wide variety of emotional range depicted in their rocky relationship.I also admired how the narrative built towards a very blurry resolution that was very hard to predict, and you never really know the truth behind the devastating points. There are some great sequences and some very solid dialogue exchanges. Definitely a solid film, I don't know how memorable it will be compared to the rest of the films I've seen so far, but I respected the craftsmanship

SCORE - 78/100

“I was cured, all right!”
I'm very busy with college, lots of exams. Fortunately, tonight it's the last one, and after tonight: Freedom! College returns in two months. So I'll finish the last films in a blink.

Weird is relative.
I've had trouble locating good copies with English subtitles of:

Borgman
The Saragossa Manuscript
Phoenix
The Leopard
The Belier Family

If people have links for these, I would greatly appreciate it.

I already have Sword of Doom, and Pan's Labyrinth I will re-watch.

I've had trouble locating good copies with English subtitles of:

Borgman
The Saragossa Manuscript
Phoenix
The Leopard
The Belier Family

If people have links for these, I would greatly appreciate it.

I already have Sword of Doom, and Pan's Labyrinth I will re-watch.
I have some links for The Saragossa Manuscript. I'll PM those to you now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have some links for The Saragossa Manuscript. I'll PM those to you now.
could you send me the links to Saragossa as well, please?
Been curious about this one and unable to find a copy with subtitles.
THANKS CR

I picked up Phoenix today from the library and should be able to watch it in the next week.

For anyone curious: DUE DATE JULY 21

could you send me the links to Saragossa as well, please?
Been curious about this one and unable to find a copy with subtitles.
THANKS CR

I picked up Phoenix today from the library and should be able to watch it in the next week.

For anyone curious: DUE DATE JULY 21
Will do, coming to your messages.

7/15 Benny's Video (1992)

Director: Michael Haneke

I really didn't like this one to be honest. I thought it was fairly well directed when it came to the shot construction and building suspense, and very well-acted as well. However, the story and progression was just too bland for me. I was longing to connect or be intrigued by something in this film and I really couldn't. Characters are the most important thing to me in a film and pretty much all of them were insufferable, even the girl that Benny murdered, who I wanted to feel pity for was pretty much unlikable as well. Given the former, I really couldn't get into the film, this is one of the few films were I just kept on looking at the runtime to see when it would end. Not a horrible film by any means, and I can see how many people like it, but there was not enough for me.

SCORE - 40/100

@Citizen Rules @Nope1172 @Okay @edarsenal @Ultraviolence @ScarletLion @cricket @Thursday Next @Nemanja @Siddon @Luis @MijaFrost @MovieMad16

Since he hasn't responded to any of the private messages I've sent over the past few weeks, I'm officially disqualifying CaptainT's nomination, Borgman.
Not a surprise, the CaptainT account seems mainly interested in playing the Survivor games.

Cosmic, what about Nope? Is he still in? It looks like he's watched nothing so far.

Cosmic, what about Nope? Is he still in? It looks like he's watched nothing so far.
I sent him a message a few days ago to confirm, but according to his profile he hasn't been on since then. I expect that he will reply once he sees the message, but if we make it to the end of the week and he still hasn't logged in, then I will likely have to disqualify his nomination as well.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It'll be a shame if @Nope1172 doesn't make it, La Haine was a solid flick and I was very happy to finally seeing it.

For myself, I'm about a third into Phoenix and enjoying it.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

I don't have much to say, I liked it OK. It seemed like an odd mix of two genres and to be honest I liked the fairy tale aspect, but didn't care for the one dimensional Fascist Captain story line.

I'm not sure why a fairy tale in the style of Harry Potter, was combined with R rated violence. To me both styles got in the way of each other...An R rated serious look at Fascist Spain during WWII and the resistance fighters that they pursuit, would have made for a good serious film.

OR, the fairy tale story with the little girl and the underground secret kingdom would have been cool if done by itself. But the two stories got in the way of each other. I didn't buy the Fascist Captain story as it was so cliched and predictable that I was bored with that. But I did really like the story and adventures of the girl. I thought that was all well done. The journey into the dead fig tree with the giant toad, was pretty cool! I wanted more of that kind of stuff.