Share Your Celebrity Encounter Stories

Tools    

it can be nice, rude, weird or anything as long as you explain and be honest. don't be like them knuckleheads on reddit that share their stories and only say one sentence "This whoever actor or actresses was an a hole."

I have not met a celebrity yet, but I'm not one of those people that want to pursuit it because celebrities have lives too and it would suck to interrupt them when they having a dinner or on with their business.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I met Judah Friedlander from 30 Rock at a convention, he took time after his Q&A to chat and take pics (for free) with me and my friend, and then he said hello throughout the day whenever he saw us. He was a really funny, chill guy. We're friends on Facebook now, too.

Alice Cooper was really nice, as well. He signed my vinyl copy of Killer, and talked with me about horror movies and how he wants to host a horror movie show like Svengoolie when he retires from touring. I was really nervous, but he shook my fiancee's hand.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I met Julie Christie in Manhattan one time. She was lost & I helped her find the building she was looking for.

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
I met Pauly Shore when I was taking photos at a Mall Santa booth. To abbreviate a Pete Holmes joke: picture your first draft of how you think an interaction with Pauly Shore would go, and don’t change it at all.

Edit instead of double post: Oh yea and I met Nick Canon at the Stockley protests here in St. Louis. I completely spaced on his name so I said “Hey Drumline Guy!” and he responded to that, so he was pretty dope.

I have not met a celebrity yet, but I'm not one of those people that want to pursuit it because celebrities have lives too and it would suck to interrupt them when they having a dinner or on with their business.
I’m the same way. I could be in an elevator with Paul McCartney & most likely I wouldn’t say a word.

I’m the same way. I could be in an elevator with Paul McCartney & most likely I wouldn’t say a word.
It's funny how some ppl say they own them something like an autograph or anything when they really don't.

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
Eh, I agree and disagree with this statement. Maybe it’s from my history as a musician, but telling people you enjoy their work isn’t a bad thing if you just see them around. However, if you go full on paparazzi; interuptting their evening and things like that, that’s gone too far.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have met and spoken with many bands, singers, actors/writers/directors, and athletes. I suppose it's open to interpretation how many are all that "famous" to the general public, especially nowadays. The one person I accidentally spent the most time with and had a blast was Ray Bradbury. Back in the '70s/'80s, FILMEX (the defunct Film Exposition of Los Angeles) had a yearly 50-hour movie marathon. I went to several of these, including the ones for horror, western, Oscar-winning Best Pictures and Sci-Fi. It was at the Sci-Fi marathon that I decided to go to the rest room during Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I had already seen the film 20 times earlier at the theatre, so it was OK; I was only going to be gone for a minute. Well, when I walked back into the back of the auditorium (back in the day of big theatres, so I was at least 15 feet from the nearest seat), I recognized this guy with glasses standing in the back. I immediately said, "Hello, Mr. Bradbury." He said hello back. I said that I thought we were watching a terrific movie, and he proceeded to explain to me, in personal detail, what it meant to him. We stayed back in the back, standing and quietly talking to each other about his own work, Spielberg, It Came From Outer Space, UFOs, God, Moby Dick, etc., but the amazing thing was that we kept making comments about Close Encounters while we discussed everything else. If anything, I believe that he loved it more than I did. Oh, one other thing if you don't know; Ray Bradbury had no qualms about swearing at all. :

It's funny how some ppl say they own them something like an autograph or anything when they really don't.
Right. I’ve never asked for an autograph, ever. And I don’t really think I want one.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Haven't met her in person, but I once messaged Teri Mcminn from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and she actually replied! Lovely woman, she sometimes wishes me a happy birthday on facebook

Messaged Tristan Risk years ago just after American Mary, and she was so sweet. I do intend to go to Birmingham horror con this year and both of them have been before so hopefully I'll be able to bump into them!

Haven't met her in person, but I once messaged Teri Mcminn from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and she actually replied! Lovely woman, she sometimes wishes me a happy birthday on facebook

Messaged Tristan Risk years ago just after American Mary, and she was so sweet. I do intend to go to Birmingham horror con this year and both of them have been before so hopefully I'll be able to bump into them!
How would you know if it was really them on FB though, did they have a pic saying it's the real person or something?

Back in the mytspace days, I messaged Steven Drozd (composer.guitarist.drummer.keyboardist) for The Flaming Lips. I had him listen to one of my instrumentals. I suggested he smoke a cig and have a coffee or whisky while doing so. He responded saying he actually obliged and enjoyed it! He also told me that, if he had more time, he'd listen to my entire player.

Another encounter was with Ariel Pink. Once in myspace messenger where he confided in me about his overbearing dad, and once smoking a joint in the pkg lot before he played a show. The in-person encounter was plain jane, but the myspace message was one I still kick myself for not saving. I can't log back into the acct, it's been over a decade and I had a few accounts...stupid of me.

Ox Baker was best friends with my uncle (both died). I met him at my uncles funerela. He commented on the deviled eggs and heckled my other uncle's eulogy.

I also talk to John Ashton (taggart from Beveryl Hills Cop) on facebook. Nice guy. Funny guy. Very down to earth.

I've had more but can't think of...oh wait...Jonathan Sugarfoot Moffat..drummer for Michael Jackson and Madonna..he told me the exact kinds of hi hats used for "Live to Tell". They were Zildjian quick beats.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
How would you know if it was really them on FB though, did they have a pic saying it's the real person or something?
She regularly posts about TCM and her conventions. A lot of the time she'll post photos from various places and stuff, as well as from her modelling career back around that time!

Met Greg Sestero a little over a month ago for a Q&A. Asked him a question. Got a photo with him afterwards. Didn't get to have a personal conversation or anything due to the long queue, he just said 'Hey thanks man'.

She regularly posts about TCM and her conventions. A lot of the time she'll post photos from various places and stuff, as well as from her modelling career back around that time!
Ahh ok I see now, well that's cool

I walked past Hugh Jackman in NYC at Radio City Music Hall a couple years ago. Sorry it's not really exciting.

Me and my mum once waved to actress Lynn Perrie, who played Ivy Tilsley in Coronation Street. She lived near my junior school.
That's my great encounter with fame.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
In 2014, I went to Mill Valley (near SF) to see my hero, Mort Sahl.. I planned on staying about 10 days or so, that way I could see both weekly shows.. I got there pretty early for the first show, waited outside on a bench. I asked the woman at the desk a question, and she replied with "But you're from here, right, you already knew that?" - and I said "No, I'm from Michigan". She was amazed that I'd come all this way, and she said "I have to tell Lucy" (owner of the theater).. So I talked to her a bit. After the show, she asked if I had anything for him to sign. I had Mort's autobiography, "Heartland"

I also signed my first published book and CD, signed it for him..... 2nd week, once the show was over, again, I was talking to Lucy, and I finally had the guts to ask "Can I say goodbye to Mort.. I'm going back to Michigan on Monday". She went into the green room, and within a few seconds, she opened the door for me, and there he was! Not a very long conversation, but it was enough for me to say something that he could shake his head in agreement.

2016 - I went back again, for 2 weeks, and was able to talk longer, especially the last time I saw him (about 45 minutes) and asked for a picture.

Many years ago I went to see the Broadway show Dancin directed by Bob Fosse. I was walking up the aisle at intermission and at the end of the aisle, there was a guy leaning against the wall who looked very familiar. As I got closer, I realized it was Roy Scheider! He was watching the show as part of his research for his role as Joe Gideon in All That Jazz. I didn't want to freak him out so I leaned up against the wall with a little space between us and told him I was a fan and rattled off the titles of every movie he ever made and he said thank you very much and I walked away. I don't think anyone else in the theater that night recognized him.

Several years later, I was on Broadway again seeing a female version of The Odd Couple that starred Sally Struthers and Rita Moreno. I stood at the stage door after the performance because I really wanted to meet Rita Moreno. Everyone else seemed to be interested in meeting Struthers. Struthers came out in about half an hour, didn't speak to anyone or sign any autographs and rushed into a nearby limo. Moreno came out about 15 minutes later with a large basket of laundry in her hands. She put down the basket and shook hands and signed autographs for about 20 minutes. She then picked up the basket and announced, "Well, I have to do laundry now" and started walking down the street. I ran after her, offered to carry her basket, and asked her questions about everything I could think of from West Side Story to Marlon Brando. I will never forget that night as long as I live...she was so gracious and funny and had no qualms about answering any question I threw at her.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I attended a Comic Expo, trying to build publicity for the book my brother and I did. It wasn't a huge, huge event, (I'd say a little over a thousand people throughout the weekend - no one cared about us, mind you), but Scott and I were seated next to one of the original motion-capture guys for the classic Mortal Kombat games (he did the stuff for Kanos and Quan-Chi). I think it actually might've been the guy on this:

He seemed nice. Didn't buy my book though, so, not that nice. I talked to him quite a bit, the guy seemed to still be very enthused about Mortal Kombat, talked about growing up with Ed Boon, etc.

I was also seated a little ways away from Trevor Murdoch, a WWE wrestler I used to watch when I was a kid.

Kinda cool.