Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

I seem to remember being quite bored in the cinema long before Mission:Impossible ended. With a few exceptions, De Palma just isn't for me and never really has been.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
De Palma just isn't for me and never really has been.
What are the exceptions? MI is my least favourite of his. I freakin' love his output, though!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What are the exceptions? MI is my least favourite of his. I freakin' love his output, though!
@Mr Minio Carrie, Scarface, Dressed To Kill and Carlito's Way (though it's been a long time since I saw that and I know even back then that Penn's performance carried a lot of good will) I thought Casualties of War was good but it's not a film I enjoyed. I'd be happy to give Phantom of the Paradise another try, but I remember liking it in parts but thinking overall it didn't work for me.

@honeykid, no love for Body Double? Dayum. I think you might love Sisters.

I like how even this supposed mainstream popcorn viewer still doesn't rate Solo (which I'd also give a
, but then again that's the same rating I'd give Deadpool 2). The original M:I is pretty respectable as far as popcorn movies go, though.
Minio's snooty shtick is getting old as f*ck.

Sisters is a top quality film! Margot Kidder is on fire in it, the 70s was such a good decade for horror films, and I think that still stands out as a very good one.

It'll never get old, because I will always defend the legit and condemn the non-legit cinema!

@Mr Minio Given how I feel about Hitchcock? I mean, it's watchable, but fairly dull when it's not being 80's sleazy.

I've seen Sisters. Again, OK but disappointing and not something I'm bothered about seeing again. Not that I wouldn't.

@honeykid, that's a bummer. Well, I love Snake Eyes too, but I doubt you like it.

Welcome to the human race...
It was always old, but easy enough to tolerate compared to his kink antics or against other users with similarly snooty worldviews.

I never really gave the Mission Impossible series a try but I think I'd like it. I love De Palma btw.

Would I like Atomic Blonde? I'm lukewarm on John Wick.

I never really gave the Mission Impossible series a try but I think I'd like it. I love De Palma btw.

Would I like Atomic Blonde? I'm lukewarm on John Wick.
I was somewhat lukewarm on John Wick too, so I'd at least give Atomic Blonde a try. You may like it. Can't promise though.

First Reformed -

(Paul Schrader, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Powerfully enigmatic.

Revenge -

(Coralie Fargeat, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

A strong callback to revenge exploitation cinema.

Hoosiers -

(David Anspaugh, 1986)

[REWATCH]

It's a sports classic but is a little hokey.

More than a Game -

(Kristopher Belman, 2008)

[NEW WATCH]

Made me really care about LeBron. I know he's polarizing, but I'm a fan.

Beast -

(Michael Pearce, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I love movies like this - thematically ambiguous but entirely confident.

Upgrade -

(Leigh Whannell, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Went for b-movie charm but fell flat for me.

Charize Theron plays a sexy lesbian.
Looks terrible judging from the trailer.

I don't know about this "Swan" guy. He's posting movies I ain't never heard of. Is "upgrade" really a movie? Sounds like tome just some Amazone feature I can't afford to pay for.

Welcome to the human race...
Oh, dang, I'm looking forward to Upgrade but that rating's actually giving me a little pause. Still waiting on Revenge and First Reformed to get any sort of local release, though.

Hereditary -

(Ari Aster, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Brilliant, fascinating horror film that calls back movies like Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist while still bringing it's own vision to the table. Unfortunately, some idiot was laughing uncontrollably the whole viewing, which almost killed the entire experience.

Wendy and Lucy -

(Kelly Reichardt, 2008)

[NEW WATCH]

Phenomenal. Poetic. I adored witnessing a brief slice of Wendy's life - an experience that is fictional but feels realer than real. A new favorite, perhaps.

Ocean's 8 -

(Gary Ross, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Lacked personality completely, which seems necessary for this kind of film.

Night Moves -

(Kelly Reichardt, 2013)

[NEW WATCH]

A slow burn for sure, but an interesting look at consequence and mental deterioration. Top notch directing.

Saw V -

(David Hackl, 2008)

[REWATCH]

My two closest friends are still making their way through this series, which is the only reason I watched this. Honestly - it's my least favorite series of cinematic history. Complete garbage that is not just bad but cringe-inducing.

Hotel Artemis -

(Drew Pearce, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

The director seemed to have some sort of compelling vision going into this, but it just doesn't come through well enough and comes off instead a jumbled mish-mash of stylistic decisions. Gotta respect any filmmaker trying to make something interesting and good, though.