Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
One for the TRUE Romantics. . .

Seventh Heaven (1937)
++ James Stewart and Simone Simon make a beautiful pair in the city of Paris. With some wonderful camera work and a story fit for lovers and romantics, this was quite the cute and lovely film.

Isle of Dogs

My first Wes Anderson film... god what have I been missing out on..

Isle of Dogs

My first Wes Anderson film... god what have I been missing out on..
Still havent seen it but dying to. Highly recommend The Grand Budapest hotel and Fantastic mr fox.

Strangely enough, I watched the first one some years back and didn't like it. I'm more prepared now to rewatch it. I recall having an issue with the quality of how it was filmed but I would probably look at it a lot different now than back then.
They're all on youtube. The quality of the first 2 are a bit ropey but that's how the footage was filmed. I may revisit it, as I remember it being one of the most amazing documentaries I've ever seen when I watched them about 5 or 6 years back. The story is just one huge miscarriage / tragedy.

Speaking of which, I see Netflix have picked up 'The Staircase'. You seen that? They've added 3 new episodes onto the original documentary which was aired in 2005, but I think they've weaved new interviews into the original 8 episodes, so you have to watch them all for the new 3 to make sense.

Thoroughbreds

If you saw Sleuth(1972) or Deathtrap(1982) you know what you are getting here. This is sort of a cat and mouse game of two girls with borderline personality disorders in wealthy Connecticut. Anne Taylor-Joy is sort of becoming a bit of a horror icon between this, Morgan, The Witch, and Split she's portrayed 4 very different yet well defined characters.

I, Daniel Blake

When I could understand what he was fookin sayin' I liked it. I don't know if this was a classic that I heard it was going to be but for what it was it was great.

Hurricane Heist
It's like the filmmakers went into the Die Hard Store, stretched out their arms, rolled their eyes back, and bellowed, "Give me eeevvveeeerryything!" - Bilge Ebiri

Okay really it's 2.5 stars but I needed a pick me up after I, Daniel Blake. Hurricane Heist is in essence a Fast and Furious B plot treated like a real movie. It would not shock me if it was written as a 12 year olds fantasy of what an action film is supposed to be.

Seventh Heaven (1937)
++ James Stewart and Simone Simon make a beautiful pair in the city of Paris. With some wonderful camera work and a story fit for lovers and romantics, this was quite the cute and lovely film.
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice fillum .... but .... did ya ever really believe Jimmy Stewart as a 'sewer rat'???? VERY cool that you watched and liked it tho'

Unregistered User
They're all on youtube. The quality of the first 2 are a bit ropey but that's how the footage was filmed. I may revisit it, as I remember it being one of the most amazing documentaries I've ever seen when I watched them about 5 or 6 years back. The story is just one huge miscarriage / tragedy.

Speaking of which, I see Netflix have picked up 'The Staircase'. You seen that? They've added 3 new episodes onto the original documentary which was aired in 2005, but I think they've weaved new interviews into the original 8 episodes, so you have to watch them all for the new 3 to make sense.

Nice one, I'll remember that. I always forget to try YouTube for films.
Yeah, I had The Staircase on my watchlist so naturally I'm delighted its on now. Have you seen it?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Once Upon a Time in China (Tsui Hark, 1991): An instant martial arts classic that helped catapult Jet Li into an action star icon with his portrayal of real-life Chinese folk hero Wong Fei-Hung (1877-1924). Epic fight scenes, especially Li taking on Yen Shi-Kwan in a room full of ladders, which years later would be the influence for the Hong Kong-action inspired The Musketeer's climactic fight between D'Artagnan and Febre.

5 out of 5

Unregistered User

Violence at Noon (1966)

That's more like it Oshima! I watched Realm of The Senses recently and although I could and should have rated it higher, its an experience I don't think I'll ever forget. So naturally for me, its been going higher and higher in my estimation. After that , I watched said directors Gohatto, which really was a disappointment as I felt it was a bit bland. Violence at Noon however, was completely different! Tells the story of a murdering rapist, although it focuses more on two women who are both linked to him. Overall its a really heavy and bleak plot that is acted brilliantly by the 3 lead roles but what really impressed me was the style of filming. With flashbacks and non-linear approach, Oshima created what felt like a nihilistic Godard directing Last Year at Marienbad, which I also loved. The music was superb and cinematography fantastic. Its great that despite its harrowing subject matter, its a film that requires you to pay attention constantly and will not allow you to relax.

What a great film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
One of Us

Not allowed computers. Not allowed inside a public library. Girls' faces must be covered by black permanent marker. And there's 400,000 of them, all on public cash assistance and public housing.... I had to see this gestapo-like cult.

Nice one, I'll remember that. I always forget to try YouTube for films.
Yeah, I had The Staircase on my watchlist so naturally I'm delighted its on now. Have you seen it?
I saw the original yes. After watching The Paradise Lost trilogy I got a bit obsessed with miscarriage of justice documentaries and watched about 10 of them. Some really good ones out there. The Staircase is one of them.

Unregistered User
One of Us

Not allowed computers. Not allowed inside a public library. Girls' faces must be covered by black permanent marker. And there's 400,000 of them, all on public cash assistance and public housing.... I had to see this gestapo-like cult.

What was it like?

Welcome to the human race...
Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles -

and people say Seinfeld is about nothing

Oh ok lol. That is true I think its because World war ii is more iconic overall especially with the nazis and such so its more appealing to make a film about
Yes I would agree with that and WWII is by far my favourite piece of history to read, watch and study about

Dude you should watch The Great war (1959) if you havent. Its Italian and its labled as a comedy but it still has a very realistic depiction of trench warfare and some very powerful scenes imo. One of my favorite films ever.
I'll take note, I like the few Italian films I have seen

Also its World war 2 but Cross of iron takes place a lot in the trenches.
Yeah love Cross Of Iron.. in fact Journey's End reminded me of it in a few ways.

Overall for a 2017 UK production that went by without a whisper, it had surprising scope and depth, it was also no surprise when I learned it was based on a famous play written by a WWI veteran.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice fillum .... but .... did ya ever really believe Jimmy Stewart as a 'sewer rat'???? VERY cool that you watched and liked it tho'
I'm guessing he had that job for MAYBE a month at most.
TOO d@mn CLEAN to be a sewer rat lol

Though I do get the reason he liked it so much. Not having to deal with everyone up above on the street.
And he did have that inherent contentment( that so few of us attain) of, regardless of where he is, it's just fine.
Living in squalor in a tiny room seven flights up? No problem. A great run up the stairs and a view of Paris - Feel like a King.
It a trench at war? Eat some bread, fire your gun into the sky at passing planes - no biggie.

Idi i smotri (Come and see) is not like any other film I've seen never mind just war films....its on a plane of its own.
I couldn't agree more and I have a story I tell people about come and see.. it's the only film that ever gave me a nightmare and I woke up literally shouting my head off.. I honestly felt depressed for about a week.