The Impossible Number: 546 (And Growing...)

Tools    

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Morning MoFo. It's been a little while since I've checked in, so hope everyone is doing well.

So this past week, while I was off from work, I decided to tackle a rather large number: 546. That's 546 movies that have been nominated for Best Picture.

It's been tough getting a movie night in since I got married in 2014. The wife and I try once or twice a week, but our taste is so different that we usually end up spending an hour vetoing each other's suggestions before finally settling on doing something else. We need some sort of guide to narrow our options, but still compel us to pick something rather than give up. That's when I started thinking about letting Best Picture nominees be our guide, working backwards in 20 year blocks.

So at this moment, we're watching all the Best Picture nominees that we haven't yet seen from 1998 movie season (March 99 Oscars) all the way through last year. We're currently knocking out the winners from those years first, and then we'll move onto the rest of the nominees once we've exhausted those 20. After this 20 year block has been wiped out, we'll move on to the 1978-1997 block for our movie choices.

We can skip titles that we've both seen before (either together or separately) but if one of us hasn't seen a nominated film, it's one we have to check off together. So even though I've seen over 50 of the 136 films nominated over the last 20 years, and 13 of the 20 winners, a number of those I've seen and she hasn't. So we've still got 11 of the last 20 winners to watch together, and another 93 nominees after that before we can move out of this 20-year block.

Anyway, we've got a very long road ahead. If we stay disciplined and watch a movie a week, we're still looking at several years before we finish the entire 90+ years of nominees. I'm excited to try it though, and see what gems I've neglected.

Has anyone else tried to run through all the winners or all the nominees before?

Good luck and have fun with it. I'm not that fussed about 'awards' myself but it sounds a reasonable way to focus your watches.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Never done it myself, but I immediately thought of countless nights spent playing movie chess trying pick something to watch with the ex. This would have been a great idea for us had we thought of it.

Good luck!

Morning MoFo. It's been a little while since I've checked in, so hope everyone is doing well.

So this past week, while I was off from work, I decided to tackle a rather large number: 546. That's 546 movies that have been nominated for Best Picture.

Has anyone else tried to run through all the winners or all the nominees before?
Welcome Back! I recognize your avatar, but I don't think we've ever talked?

I like your movie watching endeavor. I thought about doing the same thing, but I settled on watching all the winners of the Best Picture. It's a fun way to watch stuff you normally might not watch, and I bet you'll be surprised at how many movies you find that both you and your wife love.

Note to myself: Never get married if you want to enjoy sports, movies, games etc.

I tried doing all the Oscar nomination from current to the past, really gave up after going as far back as 1984. After that lost interest in the mission. Coz there were many in there, like, "how did this even get a nomination?"