Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Really well done documentary on not only the poliziotteschi genre, but the whole Italian film industry during the 70s and how the violence/terrorism in Italy contributed to the downfall of the whole industry.

RATING:

This could have been so much better with a good actress in the lead and made her character less annoying. Also showing in the film how the world actually got to the way it was because I couldn't see how the 'event' in the film lead to a full blown end of the world unless I missed something...

And going by a few lines of dialogue
WARNING: "hostile" spoilers below
]in the art gallery scenes at the start about what you can see behind the ugliness of the painting you just knew the guy was going to end up being the creature at the end of the film...
Saying that, I did like the way it ended and was a nice touch.

Trailer:

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Not at all He wasn't fun. Ledger was fun, Leto was... green Nickolson was terriffying. De Vito was perfectly gross, exactly like he should be.
I thought Nicholson's performance was campy and fun, not terrifying in the least. I don't mean that as a jab either, it's true to how the character had most often been interpreted and presented, very much like how he was in the Batman animated series.

Meaningless January garbage. No serious plot twist, not scary. Rubbish. 3.5/10.

Not the best thing i saw yesterday. Story just drags along. 5/10.

Charlie Chan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mr Wong.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Meaningless January garbage. No serious plot twist, not scary. Rubbish. 3.5/10.
Is that a Maccas doggy bell. Hellz?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Actually Infernal Affairs is a Hong Kong film. Don't fret though, even the Academy Awards had messed up, saying Infernal Affairs was a Japanese film when William Monahan was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Departed. I have all 3 IA films and The Departed. To this day, IA is now my all-time favorite Hong Kong film (used to be Shaolin Soccer until IA dethroned it LOL)
THANK YOU
Infernal Affairs is a Korean film.
If these simple little eff ups on my part were rare I'd be surprised on the screw up.
But, I am not.
Another bit of misinformation brought to you - yet again - by yours truly

And, with all the other screw ups, THANKS for the correction, it REALLY IS appreciated.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Sad that Daisy is being wasted in this bland and uninteresting role.

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) The Departed
++ While I have always been a fan of, and prefer the original Korean film Infernal Affairs you CAN NOT deny the excellence of this film and the entire cast of actors within it.

***CORRECTION*** Make that a Hong Kong film!!!

Xi Jingping is watching. Its a Chinese movie now!

Is that a Maccas doggy bell. Hellz?

Macca? Is that McDonalds?

Action Point (2018). My wife and I saw this movie today. It was a lot of fun and the comedy is right up her alley. I enjoyed it as well. Is it a great movie? No. Is it a really good movie? No. But it is a very fun kind of good movie. It has a lot of laughs if you love low-brow physical comedy. 3 stars.

The Angry Silence (Dir. Guy Green) (1960)

Richard Attenborough stars in this anti-union picture in the role of Jesus Christ himself, crucified for his beliefs. Visions of John Proctor's "my name is my name" are recalled as Attenborough's character undergoes his titular struggle: his coworkers won't talk to him. Of course, they also throw a brick through his bitch landlady's window and kick him off the soccer squad. It's quite the tribulation. To be a little more fair, events do eventually escalate, and I think this film is certainly well made on a technical and dramatic level. I just don't believe that makes up for its agenda: to obfuscate what is in the best interests of the average worker on behalf of the powerful.

Consider the opening incident of the film. A women is nearly maimed by running equipment on the factory floor. The head of the union chapter relays the event to the boss saying they need to install safety rails to the machines. The boss responds that he likes the rails. They're rusting in the basement at the moment because because the workers themselves don't like how they hinder their work. Of course it's the workers who favor raw productivity over their own safety. This scenario isn't at all contrived to shift blame.

This begins the uniform pattern of the film in defending the dutiful worker while also defending his well intentioned employer who the film has the balls to claim isn't even a part of the core conflict. The film is careful to understand the plight of the most dutiful worker of all, Attenborough's character. It goes to great lengths explaining how he could feel victimized by the actions of coworkers but it ignores completely how strikers can feel cheated by a scab. It might portray their disdain, but it never pays the same attention to what drives it. We might see how a group action can conflict with individual circumstances, but not how individual action can counteract the sacrifice of the many. This selfishness goes unchecked.

This one-way understanding also takes place when examining motivations of the two groups in question. I have no gripe with portraying a man conflicted with financial stress unsure about any loss of work and how his family might suffer for it. Strikes are scary times wrought with insecurity I'd imagine, but the film doesn't show how the company is responsible for that financial insecurity and how that's a calculated tool to suppress any collective bargaining. The company supposedly doesn't play a role in any of this.

Their strike ends with the bosses up top caving immediately. After all, strikes are merely over trivial concerns like not having enough toilet paper. The boys can wait them out at the pub for a few days and do it over some pints. Thus sacrifice isn't really a sacrifice at all. Any respectable adult only needs the hardwork union. Only lazy thugs have the time to skip out on work over frivolous concerns. You can see how this uncharitable interpretation of collective action might spark skepticism. There's only one side worth rooting for here, and unsurprisingly it's the one backed by the powerful which is of course claimed to also be best for the average Joe. After all, a member of a democratic body becomes so equal [they're] nothing. Yes, that fascist sentiment is uttered in this film in a serious tone.

To be clear, I'm not somebody who believes unions can do no wrong. Any hierarchy is capable of evil. A majority's decisions aren't always dictated by the strength of their moral standing. I believe these very broad critiques are applicable to any number of institutions and are not specific to unions. They could certainly fuel a more even keeled film similar to this one. This specific film, however, is never after a multi-faceted view of a conflict driven by subjective perspectives and varying power dynamics. It's about unions for a calculated reason. It's a film that chooses a side from the outset, and proceeds to reinforce that foregone conclusion at every turn. This harrowing tale's protagonist never once considers his company's role in his precarious situation. His only enemy is those who place the last straw on his aching back. His betrayal sparks retaliation, and the film desperately wants you to focus on that retaliation.

Perhaps the greatest irony is that the strikers are portrayed as the ones who aren't open to reasonable discourse. Of course, striking is typically a last resort to opening a reasonable discourse, one driven by the silence of the management. Their silence however isn't very angry, and The Indifferent Silence wouldn't be as catchy a title.

Hereditary is a cautious vague horror film, can't really get into the plot. Basically the grandmother dies and things happen over the course of the next 2 hours. Enough threads are kept around to keep the story interesting over scary. It's not a classic, but if you enjoyed Killing of a Sacred Deer but wanted the story to be less pretentious this is a good pick for you.

The big strengths of the film are mostly practical effects and a long story. A number of the best parts of the story we're told about at different points. You also have a great mix of subtle scares, the central theme's manifestations work very well. Toni Collette is very good for most of the parts of the story...but she's got some weak scenes. And really that's the big issue with this film the core cast isn't very good. Some of the crying scenes seem very fake and that was frustrating because the story is so good yet it's not grounded with a great performance.

I think this is going to be a very polarizing film, someone fell asleep during the first act in the theater. Be warned if you see this in a crowded theater I can see some heckling. But for those that did make it to the end they were very shaken and confused.

I saw last movie in India "Padman". This is a great movie. I love the concept of this movie. Akshay Kumar is one of the best actor of Bollywood in India. He plays very good role in this movie. I want to rate it 5 star.

Blow Out (1981, Brian De Palma)

Kept Husbands (Lloyd Bacon, 1931)
+
When a woman becomes obsessed with dick, social standing means nothing