Any fans of THE TWILIGHT ZONE?

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."

I was immediately intrigued by this show when I first saw it on TV somewhere. Memory escapes me. Caught it on the TV at work in recent years.

I had been eyeballing it on Netflix for a while now, loving that intro video with the eerie music that plays if you hover over it. After seeing that each episode is just 25 minutes, I dived in. That first episode is awesome. I love that it's all in HD, despite being B&W.

I also really think that scene of him running into the glass and breaking the fourth wall so to speak is just the best! Tricky how they framed that shot to not show the sill of the window until he smashes into it, then the camera's eye changes to show the busted sill. It's just awesome, mostly because I've only ever seen characters running out of the frame or toward the camera toward an exit door and then seeing the film cut to the next scene/location. It's very clever! I put the link below to the clip, but you can't see the rest of the scene.

Interesting how they were talking up the
WARNING: "Episode spoilers!" spoilers below
moon travel thing
back in early 60s, with us actually
WARNING: "Episode spoilers!" spoilers below
venturing space-ward in '69.
That was a good twist, as it was getting quite inexplicable toward the end. I wasn't sure.
WARNING: "Spoiler!" spoilers below
Thought he was maybe a soldier with a brain injury or amnesia, turns out he was part of a moon-travel experiment to assess damage of space travel to the human body.
Last night,I watched the "Death of a Saleman" episode about
WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
a man bickering with the reaper about how he's not ready to die yet, but upon hearing someone else has to take his spot instead, he makes the selfless choice.

I just really love these kinds of shows that make you think and question your perception/how society perceives things. I've seen one other episode almost in its entirety about the people that wear the masks over their faces. Oh, and the plane episode with the monsters. Very interesting the social commentary and who knows what else the Emmy-winning writing team was going for here. I'm assuming there'll be some cold war/nuclear fear episodes too.

Any recommendations for really good episodes?

tl;dr: The Twilight Zone is a neat show! Do you agree? Any favorite episodes?

Big fan.

I usually think I've seen every episode, then once in a while I see one I've never seen before.
On Sunday nights (on "MeTV") they've been showing the hour-long episodes, and it turns out, some of them I've never seen. That network currently shows a regular episode every weeknight at 12:30 a.m.

P.S. I always wondered why the famous Twilight Zone marathon (on Syfy network) is always shown on the July 4th holiday, when it seems Halloween would be a much more appropriate holiday for it!

I haven't seen every episode, but I loved what I have seen. I should probably look into purchasing the complete series at some point.

Reminds me...I've never seen Night Gallery.
From what i've seen it's pretty good but Serling didn't have the same creative control that he had over Twilight Zone which IMO hurt the show overall as Serling was a genius.

From what i've seen it's pretty good but Serling didn't have the same creative control that he had over Twilight Zone which IMO hurt the show overall as Serling was a genius.
I liked the single season horror/thriller anthology series Darkroom, and I imagine Night Gallery's a bit similar to that.

I liked the single season horror/thriller anthology series Darkroom, and I imagine Night Gallery's a bit similar to that.
Never heard of it. The Outer Limits is a good anthology that sometimes ventures into horror, it's mostly sci-fi though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Any recommendations for really good episodes?

tl;dr: The Twilight Zone is a neat show! Do you agree? Any favorite episodes?

I used to watch "The Twilight Zone" every night, but I haven't watched it as much recently as I would like to. I usually try to catch a few episodes whenever one of the networks runs a marathon of it, usually on a holiday like Christmas or New Year's Day.

These are some of my favorite episodes:

And When The Sky Was Opened
The Arrival
I Shot An Arrow Into The Air
People Are Alike All Over
The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street
Time Enough At Last
Long Distance Call
Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up
Escape Clause
It's A Good Life
Nightmare At 20,000 Feet
Nothing In The Dark
Where Is Everybody?
The Grave
Walking Distance
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Nick Of Time
To Serve Man
A Most Unusual Camera

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Never heard of it. The Outer Limits is a good anthology that sometimes ventures into horror, it's mostly sci-fi though.

I've only seen a few episodes of "The Outer Limits", but I recently bought the DVD set of the original series at a garage sale, so I'm hoping to find some time to watch it over the summer.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Eye of the Beholder
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I just finished all of Season 3 of The Twilight Zone. And a few weeks ago I watched all of Season 1....Great show, some of the best writing and acting every done for TV. Not all the episodes are amazing, but all are worth watching.

These episodes from Season 1 totally amazed me:

Mr. Denton on Doomsday

The town drunk in the old-west faces his past when Fate lends a hand. With Dan Duryea.

A Passage for Trumpet

A suicidal despondent trumpet player finds himself in a bizarre world where he seems to be the only moving being, except for one helpful other musician. With Jack Klugman

Both of those are some of the best, heartfelt, emotional acting I've ever seen.

These are all great too:

The Lonely

A convict, living alone on an asteroid, receives from the police a realistic woman-robot. Great concept piece.

The Four of Us Are Dying
A man who can change his face to look like other people uses his ability to improve his life regardless of his affect on others. Another cool story idea, shot very film noirish!

What You Need
A small time crook plans to exploit an old street peddler who has the uncanny knack of selling people exactly what they will shortly need. The classic Twilight Zone style story with heart and a twist.

The Hitch-Hiker

A young woman driving cross country becomes frantic when she keeps passing the same man on the side of the road. No matter how fast she drives the man is always up ahead, hitching her for a ride. This reminded me of Carnival of Souls.

Mirror Image
While waiting in a bus station, Millicent Barnes has the strange feeling that her doppelganger is trying to take over her life. A good examination of what might be a totally mental breakdown, or not?

The After Hours

A woman is treated badly by some odd salespeople on an otherwise empty department store floor. This is just cool, and Ann Francis is a living doll!

A World of His Own

A writer demonstrates he can control reality simply by dictating changes. The great Keenan Wynn in a lighter and fun story!

The Lonely

A convict, living alone on an asteroid, receives from the police a realistic woman-robot. Great concept piece.
This and Escape Clause were the last ones i watched, agreed The Lonely is great and underrated. Well so many are underrated as only like six episodes get regularly mentioned.

I've never seen The Twilight Zone but I'll have seen a lot of things it's influenced over the years.

When I was actively a fan of Doctor Who, before it came back in 2005, new stories were made for audio. I was aware enough at the time to connect Storm Warning, in which a flying monster appears by a window on the airship R101, with Nightmare at 20,000 Feet .

Big fan.

I usually think I've seen every episode, then once in a while I see one I've never seen before.
On Sunday nights (on "MeTV") they've been showing the hour-long episodes, and it turns out, some of them I've never seen. That network currently shows a regular episode every weeknight at 12:30 a.m.

P.S. I always wondered why the famous Twilight Zone marathon (on Syfy network) is always shown on the July 4th holiday, when it seems Halloween would be a much more appropriate holiday for it!
Oh, yeah. MeTV is awesome. That is curious. Maybe because they're not all scary, necessarily? I just watched the
WARNING: "Spoilers!" spoilers below
Fate/western/rummie-turned-marskman again regret/redemption episode
and that was refreshing.

I just finished all of Season 3 of The Twilight Zone. And a few weeks ago I watched all of Season 1....Great show, some of the best writing and acting every done for TV. Not all the episodes are amazing, but all are worth watching.

These episodes from Season 1 totally amazed me:

Mr. Denton on Doomsday

The town drunk in the old-west faces his past when Fate lends a hand. With Dan Duryea.

A Passage for Trumpet

A suicidal despondent trumpet player finds himself in a bizarre world where he seems to be the only moving being, except for one helpful other musician. With Jack Klugman

Both of those are some of the best, heartfelt, emotional acting I've ever seen.

These are all great too:

The Lonely

The Four of Us Are Dying
A man who can change his face to look like other people uses his ability to improve his life regardless of his affect on others. Another cool story idea, shot very film noirish!

What You Need
A small time crook plans to exploit an old street peddler who has the uncanny knack of selling people exactly what they will shortly need. The classic Twilight Zone style story with heart and a twist.

The Hitch-Hiker

A young woman driving cross country becomes frantic when she keeps passing the same man on the side of the road. No matter how fast she drives the man is always up ahead, hitching her for a ride. This reminded me of Carnival of Souls.

Mirror Image
While waiting in a bus station, Millicent Barnes has the strange feeling that her doppelganger is trying to take over her life. A good examination of what might be a totally mental breakdown, or not?

The After Hours

A woman is treated badly by some odd salespeople on an otherwise empty department store floor. This is just cool, and Ann Francis is a living doll!

A World of His Own

A writer demonstrates he can control reality simply by dictating changes. The great Keenan Wynn in a lighter and fun story!

You got me all excited now! Thanks for the descriptions!

Is every episode, well, episodic? Or are there any two-parters, continous storylines? In-universe callbacks?

Yes, everything is episodic, though Season 4 they move from a half hour to an hour.

Season 4 is the worst season, still has some great episodes but it has an uncommon amount of meh and bad episodes compared to the first three which were consistently solid with the odd bad one IMO.