Slash Vault, Bloody Adventures with MoFo Nostromo

→ in
Tools    

@Camo This makes me want to see your winner again in the original Italian. Watching in a foreign language, it's kinda weird that way, but better off in the long run.

WooWoo! - Two Freddies

Has to be under control at points, but most of the time, Let Her Rip

It was like 12th in yours? Surely you can accept that it's just a really good film.

This is hat i posted about it apparently lol, https://www.movieforums.com/communit...63#post1805663

Seeing "winner" makes me feel competitive about it, and therefore makes the separation of genre even more important. It's not a fair fight otherwise. They style abd rules are too different, even though they are related.

Rob Zombie, ohmygod hahahahaha Ragagagshreekthereeekshaaamoothecraarickkkahteycommaarickktheyrickkazaaakummandrickkkatheheyyea
He's hot. But he's still not allowed to "explain" Michael Myers.

It's latenight party time still for me

Time difference ftw!

I'm having post-shower tea, contemplating capturing the wasp that got in, and checking out the zucchini growth (not a euphemism ).

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Joseph Zito

The director's last name, though.

This is a bit of a disappointing one for me, despite its lashings of nudity and a speargun groin impalement kill. yaaaaaas!!!!! I feel that Tom Savini was a bit under utilised, and I'm not really a fan of this Jason. Richard Brooker of Part III had more personality to his Jason. I also thought the makeup job on this Jason's face was too far removed from the look in Part III, so it had that extra disconnect.

But let's get back to the positives. It was quite funny. I quite like the somewhat hamfisted (and repeated) foreshadowing of "you're a dead f*ck", the hitchhiker and her little placard, the first couple of kills, Cripsin ****ing Glover and his first set of dance moves. That by itself deserves the tip of a star rating. Kimberly Beck is beautiful. Jason looking at his cloven hand like "What? Damn!"

Wasn't a fan of the ending. But still, fun watch.

Part 4: The Final Chapter doesn't do it really well for me either, it does have a few good elements going on like you said. Apologies for the slight delay in seeing your new writeup Cat! Man, I had a lot of cold brews yesterday which led to a prolonged night of sleep! Freddy didn't come visit me though

No worries, I had an idea you may need a few zzz's. I just did the writeup instead of breakfast.

Pretty full day here. Kind of amazing, too. At a gig right now. And after that, maybe Part V. A Jason per night.

Yeah it was weird how I felt like they skimped on the kills even though the body count was decent. It felt like they had a Ferrari, but decided to take it out on a Sunday and drive at 30km/h.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Danny Steinmann

AKA "Where the **** is Jason?"

It's years after Tommy Jarvis killed Jason, and he never quite got over it. Now, the residents of his new group home are being offed at an alarming rate. Is Jason really dead or has Tommy picked up the hockey mask and machete?

I'm not really sure what I can say about this one. It's more of a "what the **** did I just watch" kind of thing. This movie tends to be the one to break any Friday the 13th marathons I'm doing. I always need a bit of time to get over Part V.

What a mess.

This time around though, something struck me. It might be because you guys are throwing giallos in with slashers on the same lists, or might be I was just high off the Ulver concert I had just attended, but it hit me that...oh my god...are they trying for an American giallo here? And as soon as the thought entered my head (pretty early on), all the elements started fitting in, minus the certain stylistic choices that signal giallo like an air siren. Next time you watch it, think about it with giallo rules (but low-key) and you may laugh a bit at first, but it fits. Weirdly.

Doesn't make it good.

The body count is decent, but the kills themselves are boring. Even if you go with my American low-key giallo theory the kills would have had to be bloodier and more elaborate.

Damn those enchiladas!

I love how the mask looks in the first picture you posted for "A New Beginning," Cat. Of what I saw from watching the first half of the movie months ago, it wins the most absurd award of the series by a landslide!

I love how the mask looks in the first picture you posted for "A New Beginning," Cat. Of what I saw from watching the first half of the movie months ago, it wins the most absurd award of the series by a landslide!
It's just...deflating, for me anyway. I guess it boils down to what you expect from a Friday the 13th movie.

It's weird to say but there's something personal about how people respond to Jason that Michael Myers doesn't have. That's why Zombie's Halloween was profane in parts.

It's just...deflating, for me anyway. I guess it boils down to what you expect from a Friday the 13th movie.
When I watched these movies kinda marathon style like you at the beginning of the year, "The New Blood" got me back on my feet with Jason. I really liked the rest of the cast, Kane Hodder, and even the jerky characters fit in really well.

It's weird to say but there's something personal about how people respond to Jason that Michael Myers doesn't have. That's why Zombie's Halloween was profane in parts.
Something about the 2007 movie clicked right for me, I could be overvaluing Zombie's version. I'm open to talk about it, that may be your point though, Michael Myers is meant to be a kind of supernatural force of autumn lore lacking humanity. Zombie just made a trippy alternative

When I watched these movies kinda marathon style like you at the beginning of the year, "The New Blood" got me back on my feet with Jason. I really liked the rest of the cast, Kane Hodder, and even the jerky characters fit in really well.
Yeah, I can feel myself being a bit impatient for Hodder's reign to begin. You'd think that with a non-speaking character wearing a mask, all you need is hulking abilities, but not quite so. There's a subtlety to it but he has a personality.

Something about the 2007 movie clicked right for me, I could be overvaluing Zombie's version. I'm open to talk about it, that may be your point though, Michael Myers is meant to be a kind of supernatural force of autumn lore lacking humanity. Zombie just made a trippy alternative
Yeah, for me, Michael Myers is a boogeyman. Too much back story hurts him. Don't make him vulnerable. Don't give him personality. He's like the Jaws of supernatural boogeyman-style killers for me. Lack of lore makes him scarier. He just is. And he's coming for you. You shouldn't be able to break through to him at any point, like you can with Jason. That's my issue with Zombie's Halloween. I'm not saying it's correct, but I'm actually naturally cwlebratory of the profane, but sonehow...not this.

I can't quite adequately explain what I mean these days. I hope the meaning comes through.

@nostromo87 I will say that it makes a huge difference how you watch the Friday the 13th franchise. Any marathon will incite a more passionate rating response. It's all very fresh.

It's a good thing I didn't do a 24 hour marathon. That will be the next time I marathon it. That would elicit even more violent response. There'd be no time to digest.

Yeah, for me, Michael Myers is a boogeyman. Too much back story hurts him. Don't make him vulnerable. Don't give him personality. He's like the Jaws of supernatural boogeyman-style killers for me. Lack of lore makes him scarier. He just is. And he's coming for you. You shouldn't be able to break through to him at any point, like you can with Jason. That's my issue with Zombie's Halloween. I'm not saying it's correct, but I'm actually naturally celebratory of the profane, but somehow...not this.

I can't quite adequately explain what I mean these days. I hope the meaning comes through.
You will have to let me know if I am describing your view on it accurately, and you can elaborate on it if you choose to. I'm all about allowing films to preserve their magic without picking them apart too much. We tend to put a hallowed aura or untouchable ambiance around original films- a discussion I kinda set-up going all the way back to the first Pyscho by Hitchcock I talked about at the start of the thread. I've done that with Elm treet I'm sure (giving it that elevated aura). With some filmgoers, I see the mentality, like with Psycho- "No sequel can ever compare to the original, it's not even a discussion." Basically worshipping Hitchcock and then the equivalent horror films it inspired like Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc... I mean I want to value that- maintaining a level of respect, but I also don't want to shutdown someone who finds themselves enjoying a sequel more- like Psycho 2 (1983), I quite enjoyed watching that a few years back in October.

To get back on point, the way I grasped Halloween (2007), some of the other characters want to see humanity in Michael, like Cruz the prison guard (played by Danny Trejo)- didn't work out well for him, and Dr Loomis- although Michael and Loomis have always had that interesting relationship dynamic in the films even from the 70s and 80s...

We do see more of young Michael, compared to the first Halloween. But it's NOT a soft young Michael. It's a reimagining, in a different movie.

I don't want to change your mind, just express how I see the films. I'm convinced we can all watch the same movie and see different gradations and come away with different takes. And I always want to encourage new, fresh, and even different thought.

You will have to let me know if I am describing your view on it accurately, and you can elaborate on it if you choose to. I'm all about allowing films to preserve their magic without picking them apart too much. We tend to put a hallowed aura or untouchable ambiance around original films- a discussion I kinda set-up going all the way back to the first Pyscho by Hitchcock I talked about at the start of the thread. I've done that with Elm treet I'm sure (giving it that elevated aura). With some filmgoers, I see the mentality, like with Psycho- "No sequel can ever compare to the original, it's not even a discussion." Basically worshipping Hitchcock and then the equivalent horror films it inspired like Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc... I mean I want to value that- maintaining a level of respect, but I also don't want to shutdown someone who finds themselves enjoying a sequel more- like Psycho 2 (1983), I quite enjoyed watching that a few years back in October.
I don't think opinions shout others down unless they're pitched in a personally disrepectful way. It's natural for people to not all like the same thing. And even if I don't like a movie, unless it's the remake of Inside, I probably wouldn't call for it to be cut from existence. Yeah, seriously. **** that Inside remake. More like Inside piss-take. It's like anything. One man's meat, another man's poison.

To get back on point, the way I grasped Halloween (2007), some of the other characters want to see humanity in Michael, like Cruz the prison guard (played by Danny Trejo)- didn't work out well for him, and Dr Loomis- although Michael and Loomis have always had that interesting relationship dynamic in the films even from the 70s and 80s...

We do see more of young Michael, compared to the first Halloween. But it's NOT a soft young Michael. It's a reimagining, in a different movie.

I don't want to change your mind, just express how I see the films. I'm convinced we can all watch the same movie and see different gradations and come away with different takes. And I always want to encourage new and fresh thought.
You kind of lost me at "humanity in Michael". That's my entire problem with it. I don't think anyone's alone on either side of this fence. As I said, I didn't hate the movie as a whole, I rather enjoyed it. But that part rang wrong for me.

But these are like horror super heroes. Canon gets ****ed with all the time.