By how much male roles dominate Hollywood movies?

Tools    

Everyone can relax, because I'll tell you what, in 10 years time there will be so many women directors, that we'll be talking about the need for quotas to get more male directors into the business.

OK the future quotas for more male directors is a joke, which just shows how stupid quotas are. Discrimination based on gender, race, religion, sexual preferences is already illegal....if someone isn't being hired because of illegal discrimination, then the court system is the place to remedy that, not some silly quotas.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
- "Sorry, we can't hire you for this role. We're looking for a man. You're a woman."
- "What?! I'm gonna sue you! A woman can play this part just as good!"
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Did I really? Your question was why the percentages aren't equal. My answer was "With equal opportunities to get education and equal opportunity to devote their lives to art of film it really comes down to women themselves to close the gap."
Oh so then are you saying this "equal opportunities" thing just started this year? And we need to NOW step back and let it take effect? If not you still need to explain the extremely low percentages and why those low percentages have actually gone further DOWN recently. Your argument amounts to "things are fine now and the percentages will magically get better if we do nothing". Well how do you know that?

You are offering one number on this thread; the amount of women in certain film industry positions. Please, link me some numbers that show for men and women how many of each are applying to those positions and we have something really to talk about.
This is a doge against my question about WHY women are NOT represented in these positions. You offer no reasoning as to why other than "girls don’t do movies evolutionarily" to which I asked you to prove that or give me another reason to which your response is "well known documented film industry statistics are an illusion. Show me how many women are looking to be directors"? Which of course allows you to create a self fulfilling cycle where you don’t have to offer any evidence: "the fact that women's numbers are so low is proof they arent interested and not at all proof of all the stuff YOU said". How bout you show ME something you are insisting is true for once. Because you still havent. Rather then just creating a closed system that fulfills itself without evidence.

As for your insistence on knowing how many females are seeking directing positions now, here is an actual REAL database created by Destri Martino that lists OVER 1000 women seeking top directing positions. She made this data base because she found that there were so many more women directors looking to get hired than even she thought there were. And she did a master’s dissertation on the topic!

So ask and ye shall receive... is it your turn yet?

So to you evolution is some unimportant and phony plot to mask patriarchal oppression?
No... evolution has nothing to do with films made by female directors or cinematographers or camera operators or etc. It’s a convenient completely unverified excuse for you to hint that females are "different" and art just isnt their bag. Which is preposterous. And super convenient if you want to keep the status quo in place. And I have asked you to back up that assertion but you havent yet. We arent talking about being an NFL linebacker here. We are talking about ALL positions in the film industry. How does evolution enter into that discussion exactly?

And yes, numbers for women studying engineering and technology have risen but still there is a very clear trend that shows women applying more to humanistic and social studies while men apply more to engineering / technology.
But the point is the numbers are getting better because we are making an overt effort to make the numbers better. Why is that ok in STEM fields but not in film? Again this isnt about a rigid 50/50 thing. This is about making a concerted effort to get women in positions they currently arent in (for whatever reason...) BECAUSE its better for the given industry if they are AND its fairer. So do everything we can toward that goal and then let the chips fall where they may. Right now you are saying do nothing and let the chips fall where they may. Do you see the difference?

Also if these numbers have evened out on some fields but not on other why is the only logical conclusion that this one field is so misogynist in nature that it repels all woman influence? Especially when the field in question, unlike science to some degree at least, is all about money and profit.
Oh science is very much about profit. Ask Monsanto about how much profit effects their business model. Or any pharmaceutical company. And these corporations have increased their diversity hiring across the board because they have found it to be quite profitable when they do. Again, theres this stubborn myth that hiring women/minorities/non white males is bad for business. It’s the very opposite in fact. It has been for a while actually. Opening yourself up to the entire pool of prospects is ALWAYS the smarter choice. And promoting the generation and recognition of talent within ALL groups is beneficial, in the long run, for these money driven corporations. That’s why so many corporations sponsor minority scholarships and the like through educational institutions. They know it’s a good investment.

As for why the film industry is behind the STEM organizations, its because the STEM folks have been doing it a lot longer than Hollywood. And they still are actively working at it themselves. This isnt something thats "done" for them either.

What makes you think that studios would rather take less profit by choosing a man instead of going for the biggest win with more suitable female option
The studios would rather not take risks on what they see as the standard money making formula. Studios are still operating on the notion that the status quo is the safest way to maximize profits and are resistant to anything that goes against that safe age old approach. Its understandable though. There was a time this was true in all industries. Weve made some improvements in those industries now. Why not the film industry?

Also can you give some pointers to actual facts? You keep repeating that women have been denied access and even consideration for vast amount of positions solely because of their sex. Any examples with proof from, lets say, last couple of decades?
So you want me to cite examples where women have been told they wont be considered for a position because they are women? In other words you want me to cite examples of people admitting to openly discriminating, an action that would leave them open to lawsuit and potential prosecution not to mention a boycott? Is this like the 12 labors of Hercules? Perform this impossible task or else shut up? Meanwhile you don’t have to prove anything? Why ignore all the reasons I have noted for the hiring disparity other than an executive publicly and on the record citing sex as a reason for not considering something?

I'm sure you can point me to some actual data about women increasing corporate profits
Now that’s a much more reasonable request. Sure. This is an OCED study of 24,000 research and development institutes from 2013 that shows that increasing diversity among research teams lead to more patent applications being submitted and a higher likelihood of success of these applications all of which lead DIRECTLY to INCREASED REVENUE and product innovation for their organizations.

Here is a Forbes article that states that companies that were ethnically and culturally diverse at the board of directors level, were 43% more likely to see above-average profits.

Here is an article about an American Sociological Review study showing that "Workplace diversity is among the most important predictors of a business' sales revenue, customer numbers and profitability."

And one of the best and most thorough studies on diversity in the work place has been done by McKinsey & Company, a well known and well respected management consulting firm that analyzes best practices for hundreds of clients ranging from aerospace to oil & gas to telecommunications to financial services. And their extensive multi year global study of diversity has made it clear just how valuable it is to business with REAL numbers to back it up.

you spam one angry wall of text after another, pull more and more "facts" from nowhere, skip everything you don't have an immediate answer, create straw men for you to attack and try "win" the debate by tiring the offense.
This sounds a lot more like you than me. I'M the one that’s been backing up my statements with actual facts. You are the one that wont respond to repeated questions and that has made outrageous statements regarding the "evolutionary" basis of women not being good at and/or interested in the film industry. If that’s not the case show me where your proof is. If you deny thats an accurate description of your point of view then SAY that and tell me what it IS.

Worthless speculation without numbers.
What "numbers" exactly are you needing here? The number of women who actually want to do more than make little obscure indie films? The number of men who have jumped from the small time to the big time in comparison to the number of women given that opportunity? Im happy to give you a number of REAL examples of the very things I noted there because I certainly know some. But Im guessing youll just brush that off like you do anything else that contradicts your still unsubstantiated set of beliefs.

Worthless speculation based on one person who actually got the job (which according to you couldn't have happened).
Yes because I said "no one has ever hired a female to direct in Hollywood". I think the very statistics Ive already cited (which were all above 0%) proves that I don’t believe that. And Im confused how saying theres a belief that women cant make action films is "worthless speculation" when you yourself note that ONLY ONE PERSON got the job! The fact that a well proven experienced director of award winning films like Patty Jenkins got a shot at directing THE most iconic FEMALE super hero role in comic book history and THAT’S THE ONLY TIME THAT’S HAPPENED shows just what ridiculous levels women need to reach to have a shot at what should really be a no brainer. And shows how much respect women get in Hollywood when it comes to directing big budget superhero films. Do you think she would have been tapped for a Batman or Superman movie? Ant Man even? Unlikely.

Point us to facts and statistics that prove your point, I already know what you think.
I'll point you to examples of this very thing. No problem. In fact Im pretty sure Ive already cited these either earlier in this thread or in the other women director thread. But happy to repeat them since you believe everyone who doesn’t think like you should have endless "facts" to back up their words while you don’t need to...

Kathleen Kennedy, of all people, the much derided producer of the Disney Star Wars movies who has received widespread accusations of "forcing" diversity into Star Wars to meet a liberal agenda, when asked about seeking out a female director for one of the Star Wars movies said, “We need to not go to a filmmaker who’s done one movie and expect them to come in and do something the size of Star Wars without having an opportunity to find other movies they can do along the way.” Maybe that’s a reasonable thing to say. Maybe that’s something you fully agree with. But Ms. Kennedy didn’t hold that same threshold when it came to some of the men she hired. Gareth Edwards made ONE microbudget indie and was tapped for Godzilla and then Rogue One. Colin Trevorrow made one tiny indie and was then tapped for Jurassic World and for a while for Star Wars: Episode IX before that blew up in everybody's face! Why cant such inexperienced women get consideration so easily? Or even more experienced women.

I'm not interested in wading through posts like this so unless you bring some actual facts to this discussion I'm done replying to you.
And yet you bring ZERO facts and absurd speculation in the highest and you fuss at me about the things IVE said which are full of facts and citations and real world examples. If you are going to continue to be a hypocrite then please, don’t reply. If you are willing to do the very things you insist I should do then Im all ears.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I back rex'words here. Mr D's auntie was the first woman in our country to be accepted to study chemical engineering. Not only did she top the acceptance numbers but she topped the course. And then, oh yes AND Then she was ranked highest in her PhD field. That was in the 70s sometime. Career opportunities for a woman? Nada! I could ask her if things have changed but
She is VERY bitter about the 'boys'club, anh

Oh so then are you saying this "equal opportunities" thing just started this year? And we need to NOW step back and let it take effect? If not you still need to explain the extremely low percentages and why those low percentages have actually gone further DOWN recently. Your argument amounts to "things are fine now and the percentages will magically get better if we do nothing". Well how do you know that?
Can you, please, stop with the straw men?

About 50% of students in film schools are women (http://www.mtv.com/news/2159771/fema...ctors-college/).In general male-female ration in colleges leans towards women (https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/20.../#588af91afa52). So at least you need to accept that my claim of equal opportunity to study is correct.

Most film makers start out small, just like artists in general they do their art for the sake of art and usually at their expense, not profit. Number of movies that have actual screen time is very small (https://stephenfollows.com/how-many-...sed-each-year/) which means that majority of film makers (regardless of sex) never get to make one of these. Getting there requires talent, hard work, most likely some sacrifices and even luck. It's not like men have an open highway for director's seat in the next Marvel.

In my opinion the reason why the numbers aren't rising that fast is about three things:

1) Lack of effort which comes form the sense of entitlement. This is a fault of modern feminism. Short films have always been a business card for feature films but for some reason women aren't doing even these (http://fortune.com/2015/10/06/women-...ors-hollywood/).

2) Differences in sexes. From the above link "A majority of study participants said that familial responsibilities (i.e., parenting) made their careers more difficult." This is major reason why many small business owners I know would rather employ equally qualified man than woman. Then there is also the differing interests which I'll write more later in this post.

3) Sexism (to use a term you'll accept). Yes, I too think that this one has some effect. Some of it is real, some imagined and some even deserved (as a result of previous 1 & 2). What I don't agree with is the notion that studios would rather be sexist than make more money.

As for your insistence on knowing how many females are seeking directing positions now, here is an actual REAL database created by Destri Martino that lists OVER 1000 women seeking top directing positions. She made this data base because she found that there were so many more women directors looking to get hired than even she thought there were. And she did a master’s dissertation on the topic!
And how many men are seeking these same positions? The problem with all these studies about the matter is that they only provide the least amount of information chosen to support their conclusion.

1000 women are seeking top directing positions tells us nothing. How many men are seeking these positions? What was the competition like in each specific competition? Who got the specific position? Seeking something doesn't automatically mean you're qualified.

Also from the database I chose to seek narrative film director for action/adventure based in US and I get 12 results. Is that supposed to prove that there is a massive amount of talented women who are turned down from 150$M+ action film directing positions only because they're women?

No... evolution has nothing to do with films made by female directors or cinematographers or camera operators or etc. It’s a convenient completely unverified excuse for you to hint that females are "different" and art just isnt their bag. Which is preposterous. And super convenient if you want to keep the status quo in place. And I have asked you to back up that assertion but you havent yet. We arent talking about being an NFL linebacker here. We are talking about ALL positions in the film industry. How does evolution enter into that discussion exactly?
Evolution does have lots to do with this. The fact that women give birth and thus have been largely responsible of raising children and taking care of home steers them towards different qualities than men who have hunted and waged war throughout history. These differences are partially genetic and partially cultural.

These differences do show in fields of studies chosen. This is a link to gender gap table for UK college students: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kEY/edit#gid=4. Interesting numbers for women are these three: computer science 17.4%, engineering & technology 14.3% and architecture, building & planning 29.7%. I suppose these three are closest in abilities required for directing an action spectacle. Yes, they average higher than the number of film directors do but it's also perfectly understandable why large movie productions aren't the forerunners in this change - financial risk for 150$M+ mega production is huge.

Oh science is very much about profit.
I didn't say science isn't about profit. I said to some degree it's about something else (need to know, joy of discovery) as well.

Again, theres this stubborn myth that hiring women/minorities/non white males is bad for business.
Well, I know I haven't said that. I've always been in favor of picking the best person for the job.

So you want me to cite examples where women have been told they wont be considered for a position because they are women?
No. I wanted examples where (at least in your opinion) a less talented man was chosen to direct a movie instead of a more talented woman. You can't make a claim that women aren't hired because of sexism without any data based on real examples. Obviously studios can't say that they didn't hire someone because of her sex but with a list names offered to them we could make our own assumptions.

Now that’s a much more reasonable request. Sure. This is an OCED study of 24,000 research and development institutes from 2013 that shows that increasing diversity among research teams lead to more patent applications being submitted and a higher likelihood of success of these applications all of which lead DIRECTLY to INCREASED REVENUE and product innovation for their organizations.
Yes, but how is that study contradicting my claims? First of all it says that diversity in the companies was low which implies that diversity itself hasn't been valued in those companies but choosing the best person. Also, for one reason or another, all diversities seemed to cost more than they yielded (R&D intensity is higher than R&D efficiency). All in all to me this supports my idea of choosing upon merits.

Here is a Forbes article that states that companies that were ethnically and culturally diverse at the board of directors level, were 43% more likely to see above-average profits.
This is about the McKinsey study so this replies to both.

In 2017 average percentage of women in these boards was 14% which, again, seems to fit quite nicely with my idea of choosing the best person. It doesn't look like a forced quota and while still considerably higher than the number of female directors it looks like something that is a result of natural change caused by equal opportunities. Study also points out that correlation doesn't imply causality. Diversity in itself doesn't improve the profits but, like we both agree, the increased talent pool does.

Here is an article about an American Sociological Review study showing that "Workplace diversity is among the most important predictors of a business' sales revenue, customer numbers and profitability."
This looks a little weird. It starts with a notion "Although previous research on diversity in the workforce has suggested diversity's negative impact on group dynamics and communication, this study makes the case for diversity in clear financial terms" implying that its results are exception from other diversity studies. On the other hand, it seems to have a different point of view.

It also deal with data from 1996 and 1997 and its subset is 506 businesses out of 15 million (chosen on condition that these 506 businesses at the time were the only ones that provided the studied data). Also its conclusions are kind of wonky - it practically says that bigger businesses are bigger (I mean, isn't it obvious that a company with 100 employees is very likely less diverse than a company with 1000).

This sounds a lot more like you than me. I'M the one that’s been backing up my statements with actual facts. You are the one that wont respond to repeated questions and that has made outrageous statements regarding the "evolutionary" basis of women not being good at and/or interested in the film industry. If that’s not the case show me where your proof is. If you deny thats an accurate description of your point of view then SAY that and tell me what it IS.
All my replies before last have been short and concise (i.e. not walls of text). I'm not passive aggressive all the time. This post is the first where you've provided any kind of facts. I have provided facts before but without links. I repeated them on this post with links. I'm not claiming that women as a whole are this or that but I'm claiming that statistics, experience and science do support the idea that sexes in general have different tendencies. Individuals can be pretty much anything regardless of their sex.

What "numbers" exactly are you needing here? The number of women who actually want to do more than make little obscure indie films? The number of men who have jumped from the small time to the big time in comparison to the number of women given that opportunity? Im happy to give you a number of REAL examples of the very things I noted there because I certainly know some. But Im guessing youll just brush that off like you do anything else that contradicts your still unsubstantiated set of beliefs.
What numbers would be nice:

1) number of male directors looking for positions to direct a big budget feature film
2) number of female directors looking for positions to direct a big budget feature film
3) average number of indie or self-financed film projects done by male graduates of film schools during or shortly (few years, pick a number) after the school
4) average number of indie or self-financed film projects done by female graduates of film schools during or shortly (few years, pick a number) after the school

What I'm really interested in is the quality of "business cards" both male and female directors are using when applying for the high profile jobs.

Kathleen Kennedy, of all people, the much derided producer of the Disney Star Wars movies who has received widespread accusations of "forcing" diversity into Star Wars to meet a liberal agenda, when asked about seeking out a female director for one of the Star Wars movies said, “We need to not go to a filmmaker who’s done one movie and expect them to come in and do something the size of Star Wars without having an opportunity to find other movies they can do along the way.” Maybe that’s a reasonable thing to say. Maybe that’s something you fully agree with. But Ms. Kennedy didn’t hold that same threshold when it came to some of the men she hired. Gareth Edwards made ONE microbudget indie and was tapped for Godzilla and then Rogue One. Colin Trevorrow made one tiny indie and was then tapped for Jurassic World and for a while for Star Wars: Episode IX before that blew up in everybody's face! Why cant such inexperienced women get consideration so easily? Or even more experienced women.
I haven't seen the previous work from most of these people so can't really comment on why these choices were made. Gareth Edwards did have a great "business card" to show that he's able to do an effect movies though. Also I do know that studios need to see something in these guys if they're putting them at the helm of their big budget productions. Also, do you consider these example to be the norm for young, starting male directors? Or is this more like ranting how sexist it is if a man wins a lottery?

About 50% of students in film schools are women . So at least you need to accept that my claim of equal opportunity to study is correct.
Oh I agree that there is lots of progressive thinking on college campuses nowadays. And many schools know the importance and value of diversity in higher education. But I do wonder how much emphasis is put on females being actively guided to specific positions (and even making them aware of the prospect of these positions) rather than a more generalized "film education" approach and leaving them to figure out the next steps on their own. Networking is a very valuable tool in getting into and advancing in any profession. Probably even more so in the film industry.

[the] majority of film makers (regardless of sex) never get to make one of these. Getting there requires talent, hard work, most likely some sacrifices and even luck. It's not like men have an open highway for director's seat in the next Marvel.
Well as compared to the women they seem to. Since no woman has ever directed a Marvel film. And agree with all that you said about talent, hard work, luck, etc. But it doesn’t address my point about men generally getting tapped earlier in their career then women all things being equal.

1) Lack of effort which comes form the sense of entitlement. This is a fault of modern feminism.
This is garbage in my opinion (as Im sure you figured it would be). Im going to say you would be hard pressed to find ONE woman in the industry currently who would say they expected to get a position because they were female. Nor very many young women seeking positions who insist they should have the best ones without making any real effort. In fact I think most would say the very opposite. That they think being a female makes it extra hard for them to achieve in the film industry. And they therefore worked or feel the need to work even harder than the men in order to compete with them.

Short films have always been a business card for feature films but for some reason women aren't doing even these (http://fortune.com/2015/10/06/women-...ors-hollywood/).
Im at a loss to see how you got that from the article you sited. The article in fact points out that “female film directors face a fiscal cliff in their careers after making a short film. For males opportunities grow, while for females, they vanish.” And the numbers drop from 28% to 4%. So where do you see the justification for this statement exactly?

Further, it notes that the study "puts statistical muscle behind what a lot of women filmmakers already know. That women directors face an uphill battle at every stage of their careers". And that it “gets progressively steeper as they transition from short films to features and from lower to higher budgets. The gate keepers in the film industry need to work actively against their own passive biases to give women the same opportunities as men." Sounds like exactly what Ive been saying here.

2) Differences in sexes. From the above link "A majority of study participants said that familial responsibilities (i.e., parenting) made their careers more difficult." This is major reason why many small business owners I know would rather employ equally qualified man than woman.
This is basically admitting that women have it harder than men because of social expectations on them. Which, again, reinforces my point. Why should employers refuse to hire women simply because they are the ones that get pregnant (which is illegal in the US by the way)? That’s clear naked sex discrimination. The fact that females happen to have wombs doesn’t mean they should be discouraged from producing art or doing anything quite frankly. And its also why we have seen an increase in child care opportunities built into employment contracts more and more recently (both for women AND for men by the way). Any business that offers no maternity leave option these days is undermining its ability to attract the best talent.

3) Sexism (to use a term you'll accept). Yes, I too think that this one has some effect. Some of it is real, some imagined and some even deserved (as a result of previous 1 & 2).
The fact that you think women "deserve" sexism to some extent speaks volumes about your bias on this issue.

What I don't agree with is the notion that studios would rather be sexist than make more money.
Which is not something I ever said. In fact when you implied this I specifically pointed out this is largely to be safe and not take risks. The status quo is ALWAYS easier to justify internally, even if it involves keeping an uneven playingfield. This has been true about other disadvantaged groups as well. But things changed. Why not with the women in film?

how many men are seeking these same positions? The problem with all these studies about the matter is that they only provide the least amount of information chosen to support their conclusion.
You are changing the focus now. You asked me to provide you proof that there were lots of women seeking positions because you didn’t believe there were very many out there to hire so I gave you an entire data base. This isnt a "study" its simply a resource showing who wants a job. Which answers your request and proves the point. But you have a reputation for just shrugging off answer after answer and then just asking more questions until you get to a point where the data is so microspecific that you can just say "see, its too hard to tell anything from the data". Well garbage. Just knowing that there are LOTS of women that want positions and very few who get them tells you a lot. Unless your notion is ALL of them are unqualified in comparison to ALL the men who have achieved these positions. Do you think that’s really more likely than its tougher for the women right now?

Also from the database I chose to seek narrative film director for action/adventure based in US and I get 12 results. Is that supposed to prove that there is a massive amount of talented women who are turned down from 150$M+ action film directing positions only because they're women?
I get 33. What did you plug in? And anyway you are talking apples and oranges here. The fact that NO women get tapped for big time blockbuster action movies (especially superhero movies) says way more than enough. Especially when you compare them to some of the men that get the nod for these movies and compare their body of work. But the notion is that women cant direct action movies just like the notion is that they cant be professional pilots or run police stations or many other things and all of those notions are quite wrong. But the myth persists.

Evolution does have lots to do with this. The fact that women give birth and thus have been largely responsible of raising children and taking care of home steers them towards different qualities than men who have hunted and waged war throughout history. These differences are partially genetic and partially cultural.
No, that’s not a relevant "genetic" difference though. A genetic difference would be clear proof that there is a functional difference between how men direct films and how women direct films that can be traced to their GENES that indicates that men are simply better at it. What you are noting here is fully cultural not partially cultural. And its fairly antiquated as Ive already noted. We no longer feel the need to relegate half our population to non work status (or gathering nuts and berries at most) simply because of their reproductive parts. Weve discovered that’s an enormous waste of potential talent and technology now allows us to minimize this issue as a deal breaker when it comes to seeking and succeeding in the job market. Welcome to the 21st Century...

Interesting numbers for women are these three: computer science 17.4%, engineering & technology 14.3% and architecture, building & planning 29.7%. I suppose these three are closest in abilities required for directing an action spectacle. Yes, they average higher than the number of film directors do but it's also perfectly understandable why large movie productions aren't the forerunners in this change - financial risk for 150$M+ mega production is huge.
I don’t think those numbers help me understand why we don’t hire women AT ALL for these positions. And Ive already noted the big studios would rather keep the status quo to minimize risk but I don’t see how that’s a good argument for what you are proposing since its yet more evidence that they DO discriminate.

Anyway, we now have a pool of 1 for 'Superhero Movies Directed by a Woman'. It proved to be very successful financially. So, based on the logic you are using here, should we expect ALL superhero movies to be directed by female directors going forward? I mean if its ONLY about the money...

Well, I know I haven't said that. I've always been in favor of picking the best person for the job.
And again, this approach is awfully convenient when one portion of the application pool has an advantage over another. It allows you to confirm and reinforce a biased system. Men have been given a head start. Why do you keep insisting they are the fastest just because of that?

No. I wanted examples where (at least in your opinion) a less talented man was chosen to direct a movie instead of a more talented woman.
Ok well I gave them later in the reply. Were those more along the lines of what you wanted? Also, after I wrote that I thought about Eliza Hittman who made a short then made <I>It Felt Like Love</i> which debuted at Sundance in 2013. Then she made <I>Beach Rats</i> for about the same budget. Was she hired for something with a bigger budget and with a better cast after that? No, she still had to keep her second job to make ends meet. But her male cinematographer Sean Porter was snatched away to make <I>20th Century Women</i> based on the positive vibe from <I>It felt Like Love</i> Why does he get promoted for the movie but the director doesn’t get a sniff? I wonder how it feels to have male staff working under you on YOUR movie grabbed up and promoted to bigger stuff while you stay where you are. Must be frustrating at the very least...

You can't make a claim that women aren't hired because of sexism without any data based on real examples.
Ive given a number of examples now. And the numbers to back up the trend. But lets not forget that this is largely passive and cultural not overt and purposeful. Using the term "because of sexism", while perhaps technically accurate, might lead you to assume Im suggesting theres a cabal of fat cigar smoking male executives sitting in some studio boardroom talking loudly how they need to keep the dames out at all costs. While there are certainly still a few bad actors out there dug in hard, for the most part I think this imbalance is largely due to culture and tradition and unconscious bias and simply that the infrastructure of Hollywood production is built in a way that favors males over females almost invisibly. So I hope we arent simply arguing over whether the only problem here is vicious sexist woman hating executives. I think the main issue is much more insidious and much more difficult to dig out of because its how the film world was built.

Yes, but how is that study contradicting my claims? First of all it says that diversity in the companies was low which implies that diversity itself hasn't been valued in those companies but choosing the best person.
Right. And then that (diversity focus) changed and their business did better. Which is the whole point, right?

Also, for one reason or another, all diversities seemed to cost more than they yielded (R&D intensity is higher than R&D efficiency). All in all to me this supports my idea of choosing upon merits.
R&D intensity is a proxy for "future innovativeness" and R&D efficiency is "innovative efficiency". Not sure where you get cost out of that. They do note that the only negative aspect of diversity in hiring is that it can lead to a decline in communication and trust. Which can be a problem of course. But for the most part that seems to reflect a learning curve and not a permanent decrease. And that ultimately, "successful innovation-driven firms become more and more diverse: Venture-capital funded Start-ups that succeed in the market have more than twice the average percentage of female employees than failed start-ups (Dow Jones, 2012). In addition, the stock market value of innovation-driven firms among the 1,500 largest publicly traded US firms increases with the number of women in top management (Dezsö and Ross, 2012)." So the worst you can say about it is that diversity works better for some firms than others (they mention it tending to work best in "high-tech/knowledge intensive sectors" as opposed to "traditional industries"). But ideally it is the best approach to take when you get it working correctly for you.

One minor issue I have with this study, by the way, is that it doesn’t seem to account for TYPE of diversity. It compares firms with heavy women staffing versus firms with lots of minority presence. And these may not all be perfectly apples to apples but I think for a general snap shot of positive effect of "diversity" its still quite useful.

In 2017 average percentage of women in these boards was 14% which, again, seems to fit quite nicely with my idea of choosing the best person.
Maybe the best person on an unbalanced playingfield. But weve been back and forth on that. Im curious though, on what basis statistically and scientifically makes you think 14% is just about right? Especially when this is showing higher diversity on boards means more profits. More and more I think this discussion is boiling down to you saying "the numbers reflect taking the best candidates" and me saying "the numbers reflect a dearth of opportunity for a specific sub group". Which I guess is progress but now we need to hash out just what would be "reasonable" and what still reflects bias toward men. Clearly, if studies are finding that diversity helps in many ways to make their businesses more profitable and more successful then it seems like we still have room to go before we reach the ideal balance where talent is best maximized without favoring one group over another or "watering down" the overall talent pool. Im trying to use your language here so mutual agreement on points is more likely.

Study also points out that correlation doesn't imply causality.
And then they said "the findings nonetheless permit reasonable hypotheses on what is driving improved performance by companies with diverse executive teams and boards." When the numbers show diversity leads to profits I don’t see why we need to tie ourselves in knots trying to explain it away as something else coincidentally. If something makes money in business, generally smart organizations are going to pursue it as they have their stock holders or financial backers to think of. And when "there is a linear relationship between racial and ethnic diversity and better financial performance,” do you really need any other information in order to at least pursue that course in your business? If for nothing else than to at least remain competitive?

This looks a little weird. It starts with a notion "Although previous research on diversity in the workforce has suggested diversity's negative impact on group dynamics and communication, this study makes the case for diversity in clear financial terms" implying that its results are exception from other diversity studies. On the other hand, it seems to have a different point of view.
No no. As I noted before, there has been a study that shows that in SOME organizations diversity has lead to issues with communication and trust. If you ask me, I think that’s kind of a no brainer if that organization is changing from a non diverse model to a diverse one. But even considering this possibility, diversity is still the ideal approach for the average business in the long run.

It also deal with data from 1996 and 1997
Is that a serious problem? Do you think the data will have changed dramatically enough in 20 years to reflect the opposite conclusion? I would think you would see even better numbers now considering the culture today versus 20 years ago and considering many other studies Ive sited here have stressed the effectiveness of diversity. Take all this as a whole.

Also its conclusions are kind of wonky - it practically says that bigger businesses are bigger (I mean, isn't it obvious that a company with 100 employees is very likely less diverse than a company with 1000).
Again, Im not sure how this is relevant to the overall point. Nor where this becomes an issue for the results of the survey at all. Theres just a single sentence noting that larger companies (and those with more females in management) were found more likely to promote workplace integration. Not sure that’s a shock or why that’s relevant at all to the basic point. Unless you are referring to something else in there. If so, let me know.

I'm not claiming that women as a whole are this or that but I'm claiming that statistics, experience and science do support the idea that sexes in general have different tendencies.
That’s a very general and safe statement there. And doesn’t at all drill down as to WHY they may show different "tendencies". You seemed to imply that the answer was "because genetics" which I reject when it comes to the discussion of why women generally arent chosen for directing. If the answer is "because culture" then we are much more closely aligned. Of course, I feel this is an aspect of culture that needs to be changed for EVERYONES benefit. You feel this is an aspect of culture that has always worked traditionally and any deviations can be left to organic processes and active pursuit of better diversity is unnecessary. I think all the information Ive provided shows this is incorrect. The numbers don’t change all by themselves and diversity is a net positive achievement.

What I'm really interested in is the quality of "business cards" both male and female directors are using when applying for the high profile jobs.
Sounds like you should look into creating your own study because you are asking for a lot of micro detail you can only get by asking those questions of the people in question. My point of view is a lot of that is irrelevant because we know LOTS of men and LOTS of women would love to become directors or improve their status as directors (and other industry positions too). No reasonable imbalance in pool numbers would account for a virtual shut out in certain industry positions by itself. As to their qualifications, I have shown you examples of folks where men and women have similar qualifications (or the woman may even have better qualifications) and yet the men are chosen and the women are not even considered because of "inexperience".

Gareth Edwards did have a great "business card" to show that he's able to do an effect movies though. Also I do know that studios need to see something in these guys if they're putting them at the helm of their big budget productions.
But that was the point of that example. That Edwards had ONE microbudget indie and was tapped for a big hollywood blockbuster. Trevorrow had the exact same resume and was tapped for <I>Jurassic World</i>. There are hundreds of women who have at least the equivalent of what those two had. Yet they didn’t even consider any women due to "lack of experience". That seems like a raging double standard to me.

Also, do you consider these example to be the norm for young, starting male directors? Or is this more like ranting how sexist it is if a man wins a lottery?
If men are the ONLY ones winning the lottery (regardless of how many men DON’T win) then that indicates an issue doesn’t it? And its not "women just arent interested in playing the lottery".

First of all, thanks for the proper reply this time. I try to shorten the dialogue a lot because to me it seems that there are only few things we really disagree (and writings these novels takes far too much time). Hopefully I don't cut anything important or change the meaning of your post.

Oh I agree that there is lots of progressive thinking on college campuses nowadays. And many schools know the importance and value of diversity in higher education. But I do wonder how much emphasis is put on females being actively guided to specific positions (and even making them aware of the prospect of these positions) rather than a more generalized "film education" approach and leaving them to figure out the next steps on their own. Networking is a very valuable tool in getting into and advancing in any profession. Probably even more so in the film industry.
I don't know how college education in US works but in Finland (at least during my time) the school didn't provide students with ready networks and it often left them figuring out the next steps on their own. In my opinion the jump from high school to college was too steep so I wouldn't be surprised if there had been changes. I believe both boys and girls should be actively guided at that point and would find it very strange if that would be provided only to one of them.

This is garbage in my opinion (as Im sure you figured it would be). Im going to say you would be hard pressed to find ONE woman in the industry currently who would say they expected to get a position because they were female.
That's not exactly what I meant. Feeling of entitlement is not restricted to women or to feminism. It's more like a byproduct of political correctness and egalitarianism - negative feedback is getting removed and everyone is taught that they're brilliant and are destined for great things. The ability to handle setbacks or to fight through obstacles has gotten worse. When someone doesn't get what they want they no longer think how they could improve themselves but find something else to blame for their mischief.

Feminism today is making everything about sex. Just like communists few decades ago turned everything into class battle feminists turn everything into battle of sexes. This combined with entitlement makes (some) women to see every problem they have as a result of patriarchal oppression. Feeling you didn't get the job because you're a woman is also different from feeling you deserve the job because you're a woman.

Im at a loss to see how you got that from the article you sited.
The fact that there were more than double male directed entries in surveyed short film festivals.

This is basically admitting that women have it harder than men because of social expectations on them.
Getting pregnant isn't just social construct. It's a physical fact similar to "men are generally stronger." I definitely admit that it makes some things harder for women to achieve but attempts to fix that are also causing issues beyond gender equality like lower birth rates in the West. I don't have a perfect solution for this.

The fact that you think women "deserve" sexism to some extent speaks volumes about your bias on this issue.
I may be a bit biased but you're reading too much to that "deserve." What I meant is that physiological facts deserve to be taken into account and (fair or not) the actions of the most vocal and extreme feminists will affect opinions towards women.

You are changing the focus now. You asked me to provide you proof that there were lots of women seeking positions because you didn’t believe there were very many out there to hire so I gave you an entire data base.
It's not changing focus but trying to put the information provided into some sort of perspective. And of course I believed that there are women looking to direct movies, that's never been the question.

No, that’s not a relevant "genetic" difference though. A genetic difference would be clear proof that there is a functional difference between how men direct films and how women direct films that can be traced to their GENES that indicates that men are simply better at it. What you are noting here is fully cultural not partially cultural.
To some degree this whole debate (not talking just about the two of us but on more general level) is based on the idea that there is a functional difference how men and women direct movies. That more female directors would bring more female oriented movies.

What comes to culture it's something that also evolved during a long time and it's been molded by people within. So even if you'd be right and something is fully cultural (which to me is absurd) the culture itself would have been affected by genetics. In many ways culture's role has been increasing though as survival of the fittest is affecting less and less people, and culture should be far quicker in its changes than evolution.

And again, this approach is awfully convenient when one portion of the application pool has an advantage over another. It allows you to confirm and reinforce a biased system. Men have been given a head start. Why do you keep insisting they are the fastest just because of that?
Two errors here.

1) Men haven't been given a head start, they took it themselves.
2) If we really judge on merits there is no advantage, you're just assuming that previously male dominated field must be misogynous

So I hope we arent simply arguing over whether the only problem here is vicious sexist woman hating executives. I think the main issue is much more insidious and much more difficult to dig out of because its how the film world was built.
I kind of agree (probably with some huge differences in the details but on very generic level at least).

Right. And then that (diversity focus) changed and their business did better. Which is the whole point, right?
Focus didn't even change that much. Even at the end of that study the diversity was low.

R&D intensity is a proxy for "future innovativeness" and R&D efficiency is "innovative efficiency". Not sure where you get cost out of that.
R&D intensity is direct monetary investment on research. R&D efficiency was the profit gained from new products during the time studied.

Im curious though, on what basis statistically and scientifically makes you think 14% is just about right? Especially when this is showing higher diversity on boards means more profits.
In my opinion we're interpreting the study differently on one key point. It's not the diversity itself that increases the profit. Nothing in the study implies that raising diversity further and further would result in continuous raise in profits. It's the bigger talent pool that allows the average quality of board members to increase.

But that was the point of that example. That Edwards had ONE microbudget indie and was tapped for a big hollywood blockbuster. Trevorrow had the exact same resume and was tapped for <I>Jurassic World</i>. There are hundreds of women who have at least the equivalent of what those two had. Yet they didn’t even consider any women due to "lack of experience". That seems like a raging double standard to me.
Of the relevant movies I've only seen Monsters and if you don't see how that could have convinced the studio I don't know what to say. It's not like all micro budget movies are equal when it comes to finding a director for Godzilla or Star Wars movie.

If men are the ONLY ones winning the lottery (regardless of how many men DON’T win) then that indicates an issue doesn’t it? And its not "women just arent interested in playing the lottery".
Yeah, but to know if women are (as) interested in lottery as men you'd need to have a data how many tickets are bought by men and women.

to me it seems that there are only few things we really disagree (and writings these novels takes far too much time).
Agreed. As noted I think our particular discussion comes down to is there a real need for seeking ways to increase the numbers of women in these positions or is everything progressing as it should and any "interference" is unnecessary?

I believe both boys and girls should be actively guided at that point and would find it very strange if that would be provided only to one of them.
Sure but the old boy networks and social and business connection infrastructure were never designed for women so we would need to make sure such a system is in place for women as well as men before we can say get out there and get a job. And I do think that we tend to encourage men more than we do women, certainly for these kinds of positions. So actively focusing on encouraging women in these fields is especially important during their time in school. Telling someone "you can be a director!" may sound silly but I think its vital to an 18 year old who may not consider it a real possibility for them.

negative feedback is getting removed and everyone is taught that they're brilliant and are destined for great things. The ability to handle setbacks or to fight through obstacles has gotten worse. When someone doesn't get what they want they no longer think how they could improve themselves but find something else to blame for their mischief.
This sounds like a generic complaint about all millennials not specifically about women and "feminism". I don’t necessarily believe it about millennials either but I can see why other generations would say that at least. Up hill both ways and all that. But it definitely doesn’t describe the issue for women and directing. In fact, women have been living under "negative feedback" for generations when it comes to their prospects for these positions. That’s the problem. Telling people "you just arent genetically qualified to be this, hunny" is NOT the kind of interaction that’s going to help people pursue something and be good at that thing. Its going to discourage them. Which is what its been doing since the beginning of the film industry. Which is how men have wanted it. Now its just integrated into the psychology of the industry. And taking active steps to strip that out is difficult but necessary.

Feeling you didn't get the job because you're a woman is also different from feeling you deserve the job because you're a woman.
Of course. The former is an external problem that needs to be remedied. The latter is an internal problem that they probably need to get over. But the former is still a real issue.

Getting pregnant isn't just social construct. It's a physical fact similar to "men are generally stronger."
Ok but neither of those things makes women less qualified for film positions. Not with our current technology at least. So if discrimination is still going on because of the fact that women can get pregnant it’s a problem.

I definitely admit that it makes some things harder for women to achieve but attempts to fix that are also causing issues beyond gender equality like lower birth rates in the West.
Which is of course an entirely different topic and irrelevant to the point at hand.

What I meant is that physiological facts deserve to be taken into account
Not for women getting tapped to direct or work in any other industry position. There is no physiological issue that makes your average woman worse at directing than your average man. Or at being a cinematographer. Or writing. Or executive producing. Etc.

To some degree this whole debate (not talking just about the two of us but on more general level) is based on the idea that there is a functional difference how men and women direct movies. That more female directors would bring more female oriented movies.
Ok I can understand this. I think theres a lot of guys out there that assume more women directors would mean more chick flicks and rom coms. I don’t necessarily agree with that (most rom coms are still made by men in fact). But I can understand the assumption. I just think you would end up with better movies overall. Not a 20% jump in "women" focused movies. And by the way, the logical implication of this belief is that movies are male dominated and focused now because men make them. Why is that ok?

In many ways culture's role has been increasing though as survival of the fittest is affecting less and less people, and culture should be far quicker in its changes than evolution.
*squinting* Im pretty sure this isnt how evolution works. Unless Im misinterpreting what you are saying here. I think trying to isolate a sex based difference in the brain that makes the creation of art on film naturally unequal is impossible. Likely because its not there. And even if there was some ancient complex genetic factor you could somehow trace to FILM somehow, why doesn’t that same genetic factor effect other forms of art? Why does it overlap so (in that there are lots of talented women despite this apparent genetic factor and lots and lots of untalented men who just don’t have what it takes to excel in creating film)? No I don’t think this should enter into any line of thinking when it comes to trying to explain why there are so many more men directing then women.

1) Men haven't been given a head start, they took it themselves.
Ok. This is entirely semantic and it still amounts to the same thing.

2) If we really judge on merits there is no advantage, you're just assuming that previously male dominated field must be misogynous
And the film industry has proven to be misogynous (or more accurately, benefiting men over women. Misogyny implies an active hostility specifically aimed at women that Im not even saying here. Im talking mostly unconscious and just part of the landscape). And therefore we CANT truly "judge on merits". Because this isnt a vacuum. There has been a disadvantage set up in the system since the start that benefits men.

In my opinion we're interpreting the study differently on one key point. It's not the diversity itself that increases the profit. Nothing in the study implies that raising diversity further and further would result in continuous raise in profits. It's the bigger talent pool that allows the average quality of board members to increase.
Ok so using this line of logic you use here, doesn’t that mean we should fully support further diversity until that profit graph levels out? After all you cant continue raising diversity forever because eventually what was once a minority becomes the majority and what was the majority is now the minority. And by definition you arent "increasing diversity" anymore. And it likely hits your bottom line because you lose the aspect contributed by those that were formally the majority. The point is to always maintain a diverse collection of points of view. Not just one. Then you maintain a competitive advantage. Thats why men shouldnt see this as an attempt to get rid of men. Its an attempt to get MORE voices in the same setting. Including mens voices.

Of the relevant movies I've only seen Monsters and if you don't see how that could have convinced the studio I don't know what to say.
Oh Im not trying to discount his work necessarily. Just the difference in the pattern of progress for this particular man and pretty much all women. You could bring up names like Lynne Ramsay or Lucrecia Martel or Jennifer Kent or Andrea Arnold or a number of others. Even the great Sofia Coppola, who made Virgin Suicides to great acclaim followed it up with the also fantastic Lost in Translation, was only allowed a $4M budget for that. So even with enormous name recognition and that kind of rare connection, the studio kept her reigned in on her follow up effort. Ive heard Bill Murray and Johannson agreed to the roles because they wanted to be in the film and work with Coppola. Not so much for the money. But I appear to be rambling...

1) Lack of effort which comes form the sense of entitlement. This is a fault of modern feminism.
Man how do you even write this without feeling deeply ashamed.

Hi Rex, i cant help but comment

Your posts seem to get longer each day.

It was actually shorter then my previous two.

I think weve both been cutting back on much of the fluff. Down to just a streamlined 13 paragraphs!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I dont think its so much about restrictions on hiring (thats why I dont really buy the sky is falling quotas rhetoric). Its more about the back end. Creating programs specifically for females in film schools. Exposing them to whats possible and encouraging them with scholarships and internships and networking systems throughout the career process. Creating a film industry culture thats no longer male only or male dominant. Then, over time, from that kind of overt consistent effort you will have talented females available for hire and a film culture that sees them as as solid an option as a man. Then the art will only improve based on the expansion of the talent pool. Too many people are seeing women in the industry as a diminishing of the art. They should in fact see it the opposite since the more you broaden your personnel options the better the likelihood youll see better output (and better profits mind you). This has been proven over and over again in corporate settings.
When you say creating programs specifically for females, what would be the difference between that program compared to one that is geared towards both genders, where either could join?

It was actually shorter then my previous two.

I think weve both been cutting back on much of the fluff. Down to just a streamlined 13 paragraphs!
Hey dont get me wrong, as you probably realise im a big supporter of reading your posts. it was justa frosty winter ramble
Rep you.

When you say creating programs specifically for females, what would be the difference between that program compared to one that is geared towards both genders, where either could join?
Young women need to know on a broad scale that a career behind the camera and in any of a number of positions is a real possibility they can achieve and can in fact excel at and not something they should feel isnt for them because of their sex. That needs to be an organized professionally administered endeavor on behalf of schools. This would largely be irrelevant for males since they generally already believe that the film industry could provide them a possible career.

Oh okay. I just thought that film schools were doing that already, since it seems that most film schools welcome both male and female students. I suppose a school could have a separate class for women, but then you have two separate classes, with two separate professors, rather than a class for both.

Its less about women getting admitted to film schools and more about how they handle them once they are there. And post graduation. Making a formalized culture where young women are encouraged to pursue certain careers and not discouraged from it is essential. Imagine you went to nursing school and you felt like maybe this career choice isnt for you because every step of the way it seemed to be geared toward women. Youd be more likely to change your mind or "lose interest" when in fact we should be encouraging you to pursue nursing as we need more male nurses.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I wish my film school class had female students in so I could get a perspective on this more so.

Its less about women getting admitted to film schools and more about how they handle them once they are there. And post graduation. Making a formalized culture where young women are encouraged to pursue certain careers and not discouraged from it is essential. Imagine you went to nursing school and you felt like maybe this career choice isnt for you because every step of the way it seemed to be geared toward women. Youd be more likely to change your mind or "lose interest" when in fact we should be encouraging you to pursue nursing as we need more male nurses.
What is uniquelly geared toward man about film school?

Pettyness, bs and microagressions are a natural feature of the arts.

What is uniquelly geared toward man about film school?
An industry geared toward males where the numbers are substantially in favor of males is going to feel like a male culture to females who try to break in. Because it is. Which is why a concerted effort is necessary to change that. So females can see themselves with the same potentials and feel the same encouragements as their male counterparts.

An industry geared toward males where the numbers are substantially in favor of males is going to feel like a male culture to females who try to break in. Because it is. Which is why a concerted effort is necessary to change that. So females can see themselves with the same potentials and feel the same encouragements as their male counterparts.
The same is true for Koreans, Indians, Ethiopians, Papu New Guineans in a different culture. If they cannot handle being surrounded by males they are unworthy to be filmmakers.

Also they can do female dominated programs with token males so they won't get sued. If the female gender does not care about setting that up it's not my ****ing problem.