Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Insidious the last key

Ermm...this should have been a made for TV movie. Very tame and generic. Comedy was well off the mark. Romantic elements were wrong, let me elaborate..grown men in their 40s hitting on what seems to be teenage girls.

Loved the first two films directed by Wann. This was not and was also not necessary.

2/5

I picked this movie up this morning in the world cinema section of HMV and made a note of it after seeing it was from the same director as White God which I enjoyed but after seeing your rating, I'm not so sure

Molly's Game (2017)

+

I had no idea what this was about and just thought from the poster that Jessica Chastain played a CIA agent, spy, or something of the like. My wife then told me it was a true about gambling and that I should like it. I definitely thought it was an interesting story and it has a very fast pace. While watching I wished there was more of an edge to it, but then I guess with it being a biography, that would require some embellishment. Chastain and Idris Elba are great as expected, but it was Michael Cera who made the movie for me. He was fantastic and I didn't expect that. If you don't like a lot of narration, then don't watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's not allowed in Canada.

Lastly I saw social media movie which is based on Mark Zuckerberg and I just love that movie. I will give it 10/10 to this movie.

A powerful film, with a very misleading poster. This is not a feel good film, it is powerful and thought provoking, but many of the scenes show the sad and brutal life of slum children in India. These slumdogs live in garbage dumps and are brutalized by gangsters. In one scene, small homeless children are gathered from the dirty streets by a nice smiling man. He feeds them and teaches them to sing. Then he forces them to beg on the streets....and in a gruesome scene pours boiling hot liquid into the eyes of a small child to blind him....Blind children earn more money as beggars. There's also torture scenes in the police station. Of course this is a Danny Boyle film and those kind of horror-esque scenes are his trademark.

I had a hard time watching some of this, but it is an excellent movie and Dev Patel as always is top notch. Slumdog Millionaire won best picture for 2008.

Sabotage (Alfred Hitchcock, 1936)

A title the final twenty minutes or so sadly lives up to all too well

Love Streams (1984, John Cassavetes)

A beautiful, bittersweet, quietly heartbreaking film about life, love, loneliness, regret, loss, inability to connect or contain emotions. Masterfully nuanced, mature direction by Cassavetes, and Gena Rowlands, needless to say, is incredible.

The rain at the end appears to be a metaphor for "love" in its painful, destructive, impenetrable aspect, streaming chaotically and uncontrollably over the two siblings - two soulmates that are unable to handle its power and unlock its mystery.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Heropanti (B+) and A Flying Jatt (B-): These two films, currently on Netflix, star second generation Bollywood actor Tiger Shroff. The first is his film debut, a romantic action-comedy in which Shroff shines in three major action set pieces, showcasing his skills in gymnastics and taekwondo (he's a 5th-degree black belt). In this film, he is kidnapped and forced to reveal the location of a man's estranged daughter and Shroff's friend, who have eloped. Shroff ends up thinking a young woman he met and it turns out she is the man's other daughter.

The second film is Shroff's take on the superhero film, in which he plays a martial arts teacher who is more or less, a disrespected wimp. That is until one day, a lightning strike during a confrontation with the eventual villain to protect his family's 200-year old prayer tree, gives him superpowers. It starts out funny, but when it's revealed that the villain, played by Nathan Jones, has also gained superpowers that are enhanced by pollution, things get real due to a personal tragedy caused by said villain and thus, makes Shroff really go from zero to hero. Fun film, just doesn't know at times whether it is supposed to invoke religion or the environment, or both...it's gets a bit too much. Like where are too many characters in Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, there were too many themes for me, but Shroff is the saving grace IMO.

I had a hard time watching some of this, but it is an excellent movie and Dev Patel as always is top notch. Slumdog Millionaire won best picture for 2008.
There are 2 Danny Boyle films I don't like. Slumdog Millionaire is one. 127 Hours I kind of hated.

Darkest Hour
41/2 out of 5,( or a B+ )

I'd been wanting to see this movie for a while, and finally got the chance yesterday. I think that Gary Oldman well deserved his Oscar for bringing Churchill to life, as a man of great stature, still to be admired today. And the rest of the cast- especially the always screen worthy Kristen Scott-Thomas as his loyal wife, Lily James as his awestruck and eventually devoted secretary, and Ben Mendelsohn as the king, bound by his vintage elegant manners, while in the verge of abandoning his country should England be invaded- all were admirable in their roles.

A few personal observations: From the start- the visual landscape of the film seemed enveloped in grit, dust, and fog. All was dim, until just before the pivotal ending with parliament, the sun breaks through on an outside street. Apt for the subject matter, and dreary old England where an umbrella is as much a fashion accessory as sunglasses are in South Cali- but for this viewer- it was a bit claustrophobic in terms of cinematography.

Of course I don't know how much the storyline is historically accurate but I' m pretty sure Churchill did not descend to the London subway to interview riders about the war. And yet- as a plot device, it worked and in fact-as a character device it somehow ring true. I do believe that Chirchill reflected deep in his heart of what would be best for the English people - and like any great hero, let his desire to best serve his people guide him. I did most love - of every line in the film- the line from his wife - as he is struggling with the decision of appeasing the Nazis or fighting full force- when she said: "You are great because you are imperfect, you are wise because you have doubts."Wonderful- how incisivelly, and insightfully, well put - to describe a monumental, yet very human, and likable figure as Churchill. I also liked the wry humor throughout, from Chutchill feeding the dog under the table; or teasing his wife, when she asks if they're getting old- "Well you are." It makes a man who could just be formidable - human and endearing.

It is why this film transcends what could be a limited audience - not usually my type of movie btw. Otherwise the movie might only appeal to people who are history buffs, or those who are intrigued by the political machinations in government.( That would not include me.)

But in making this monumental figure real and knowable, the movie is not just a story of political intrigue, but an examination of character and what makes a person a great and inspiring hero.

A side note - as an American I was fascinated at how strongly the King still dominated the government of Grrat Britain then. Nothing I could relate to in our country's history. Another fascinating aspect of the film, deftly portrayed.

I did not give this a solid 5 star rating however, because I did feel the story could have been 'tightened up' a bit. At over 2 hours of what was essentially a movie of dialogue , I did feel it dragged on , and could easily have been edited down to 1 and 1/2 hours.

Still it's a movie I'm glad I saw. I was reminded of Capt. Sully, (who also had a movie made about him) - the man who landed a crashing plane on the Hudson River,and has said he never felt like a hero, but perhaps people made him one because they felt the need for a hero at that time ( around time of USA downfall economy) I would suspect many of the greats of history have had that same thread of self doubt, humility, or just the sense that the measure of who they are is just a need to perform a job well done- as Churchill did . At any rate, Churchill was to me, in this movie, and now in my more vivid concept of history- a grand soul to be admired.

There are 2 Danny Boyle films I don't like. Slumdog Millionaire is one. 127 Hours I kind of hated.
Cat, what didn't you like about Slumdog Millionaire?

I haven't seen 127 Hours.
I've seen these Danny Boyle films:
Steve Jobs...I disliked the negativity and yelling so much that I shut it off after 15 minutes.
Slumdog Millionaire
Sunshine...mostly a great existential sci fi, with a ridiculous sub horror plot, added on
28 Days Later...not really my thing but appropriate for Boyle to do, I actually thought it was well done and exciting.
The Beach...I don't remember it, don't think I was overly impressed.
Shallow Grave...not a fan of this one which was just in the 15th Hof.

This might just do nobody any good.
Sunshine is great, slasher turn included.

The second Trainspotting is exceptional as well. It turns out much darker than one might have imagined. It’s the opposite of the first’s ending, as in a rendition.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've seen these Danny Boyle films:
I shut it off after 15 minutes.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

''I can only see a world as it should be. It makes an imperfection stick out like the nose on your face.''