Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bitva za Sevastopol [Battle For Sevastopol] (Sergey Mokritskiy, 2015)

Sadly somewhat misses the mark of audience expectation

The French Connection (1971)

My goodness the actors were great in this. Plot was superb and no fat on the screenwriting. Earthy, gritty and (as my avatar may suggest) great to see Roy Sheider working his way with Gene Hackman who, as Popeye Doyle is the dog without a bone. I cannot fault this film for authenticity. Simply brilliant....gasp...9.5/10.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Darkest Hour
Had always been a fan of Oldman and it continues seeing him portraying Churchill. I was intrigued from beginning to the very end.

Murder on the Orient Express
+ While I was always so-so when it came to the Belgian detective Poirot growing up and had never read the books or can even remember seeing the original from '74, I have no idea how close to the story or if the murderer(s) is the same as the book or the previous film, but I did enjoy the cinematic aspects and the old Hollywood feel of the performances of everyone.
Will need to check out the '74 version again since I haven't seen it since it first came out.

Haven't seen the new one, but now I'm intrigued. @edarsenal. The original Murder on the Orient Express was very well done, and still one of my fave go-to murder mysteries, in spite of the fact that the pompous, mustachioed Hercule Poirot remains one of the unlikeliest and most unlikeable (jmho) of detectives, both in movies and in dear Dame Agatha's fiction. But the movie is a train worth boarding

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I enjoy this film a lot more than the first, but I would still call it a below-average film altogether.

The French Connection (1971)

My goodness the actors were great in this. Plot was superb and no fat on the screenwriting. Earthy, gritty and (as my avatar may suggest) great to see Roy Sheider working his way with Gene Hackman who, as Popeye Doyle is the dog without a bone. I cannot fault this film for authenticity. Simply brilliant....gasp...9.5/10.

Great review - everything you say is on the mark and so aptly put. Dog without a bone!!! Great metaphor.

Btw, I consider Gene Hackman to be one of the all time great actors. Immensely talented at his craft - in a way that doesn't announce he's a star; he just inhabits the role and makes it true. Loved him ever since he played Clyde's brother in Bonnie and Clyde.

And briefly Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Walken...its totally puzzling...its hammy as, quite literally, hell
It's everything you've said, but I cannot help but dig this movie! I used to love Cristina Raines (I admit, more for her looks than her acting, but her acting wasn't bad either) and boy, that really was an uncomfortable scene with Beverly D'Angelo, um, getting in touch with herself right in front of Raines. Yeesh! It's one of the few movies I've seen where I actually responded to a jump scare with
WARNING: spoilers below
the old man suddenly appearing from behind the door
. Whoa.

Just a personal aside: Many years ago, my wife, my sister, and my niece all went down to Corpus Christi and stayed in a large hotel that overlooked the bay. I instantly went to the balcony to enjoy the scenery and pulled up a chair, sitting still. My sister came up behind and sarcastically said, "What are you, The Sentinel?" Couldn't help but laugh at that. Only if you've seen the movie will you get that little joke.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't seen the new one, but now I'm intrigued. @edarsenal. The original Murder on the Orient Express was very well done, and still one of my fave go-to murder mysteries, in spite of the fact that the pompous, mustachioed Hercule Poirot remains one of the unlikeliest and most unlikeable (jmho) of detectives, both in movies and in dear Dame Agatha's fiction. But the movie is a train worth boarding
I've always felt the same way about Poirot, though I must say I did enjoy Branaugh's depiction of him.
And, also, I requested the original '74 version of the Orient Express just to make comparisons.

I only like Poirot when he's Peter Ustinov. Because he's Peter Ustinov.

The Fourth Protocol. Michael Caine must stop a Russian agent (Pierce Brosnan) from detoning a nuclear bomb on an American base on British soil in this late 80s thriller based on the Frederick Forsythe novel. Great cast (including Ned Beatty, Ray McNally, Michael Gough and Julian Glover) and watchable enough, just never really catches fire to become anything more than "okay".

The Merry Widow (Ernst Lubitsch, 1934)
+
Has a certain economy to it

My Entire High School Sinking Into The Sea (Dash Shaw, 2016)

Sadly nowhere near quickly enough though

Lol @edarsenal. Glad to know I' m not alone regards Poirot. And if you are so inclined, tell us when you have a chance, what you think about the original. It's one I can easily re watch, even knowing the ending. Great stars in that, including the wonderful Lauren Bacall.

And yes, @iank I DO like the Peter Ustinov portrayal of Poirot.

Great review - everything you say is on the mark and so aptly put. Dog without a bone!!! Great metaphor.

Btw, I consider Gene Hackman to be one of the all time great actors. Immensely talented at his craft - in a way that doesn't announce he's a star; he just inhabits the role and makes it true. Loved him ever since he played Clyde's brother in Bonnie and Clyde.
Aww, ta lenslady. Hackman is an immense actor. First time I saw him was Little Bill in Unforgiven.......French Connection II later today...can't wait!