Recommendations for Family Dramas

Tools    

Anybody know some good family dramas? Not necessarily to watch with the whole family, but about families. I would really appreciate suggestions! Thanks!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
In My Father's Den a powerful New Zealand family drama about a war photographer who returns to his native NZ after a long absence for the funeral of his estranged father, fragments of his past resurface and the tensions and secrets between the different members of the family are dragged up.

Also:

The War Zone (but be warned, this is very disturbing)
Little Women (if you want something fluffier)
Secrets and Lies (excellent Mike Leigh film about an adopted daughter seeking her birth parents)
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Godfather

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My Farher's Glory
My Mother's Castle
National Velvet
The Yearling
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Heaven Can Wait
(1943) - actually a comedy
Life With Father
I Remember Mama
You Can Count on Me
The Squid and the Whale
The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
Sons and Lovers
The Grapes of Wrath
The Catered Affair
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Long Day's Journey into Night

The Subject was Roses (1968), Fanny & Alexander (1982), Avalon (1990), The Decline of the American Empire (1986), The Barbarian Invasions (2003), Ordinary People (1980), On Golden Pond (1981), The Savages (2007), Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962), The Ice Storm (1997), Shoot the Moon (1982), The Great Santini (1979), Twice in a Lifetime (1985), A Wedding (1978), Rachel Getting Married (2008), Margot at the Wedding (2007), Lonesome Jim (2005), Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986), The World According to Garp (1982), Happiness (1998), Parenthood (1989), Home for the Holidays (1995), Pieces of April (2003), Five Easy Pieces (1970), I Never Sang for My Father (1970) and The Magnificent Amberson (1942). Oh, and all versions of Hamlet, my favorite being Ken Branagh's lavish 1996 production.

And from the world of American series television (and from completely different ends of the tone spectrum) I'd suggest "Family" (1976-1980) and "Six Feet Under" (2001-2005).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Excellent post Holden

Six Feet Under is just what I was thinking actually, for a mature family anyway
4. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
5. Spirited Away

"Sons and Lovers" ---I've watched several times, It's great I'm willing to recommend to you.

How about Kungfu Panda or Slumdog?

Whale Rider
Lost Boys ~ (vampire flick)
Let the right one in ~ (Foreign Vampire flick)
Babe
The Family Stone
Un air de Famille
Eve's Bayou
Meet me in St. Louis
To Kill a Mockingbird ~ (In polls, Atticus Finch always comes in near the top of great screen Dads)
Oliver!

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I like "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1947(. It's about 3 soldiers returning from from WWII, and how they and their families deal with it. It's still relevant today, with all that's going on. Great movie.

I got here too late to mention The Great Santini, To Kill a Mockingbird and Never Sang for My Father.

I'll add to the comprehensive suggestions of the prior posters:

Fiddler on the Roof

Moonstruck

Home for the Holidays

Meet the Fockers

Rrgarding Henry

Gone with the Wind

Harry and Tonto (cats are family too)

If you speak Spanish or can find a subtitled version, Cuéntame cómo pasó is very good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302447/