Atlanta (FX TV Series)

Tools    

I started watching this the other day after seeing this thread, so thanks ScarletLion. I'm a big fan of Community and even though Troy isn't one of my favourites i do really like Donald Glover so i thought i should check it out. Watched the first six episodes and i agree it is very good. The only episode i didn't like was the last one, not because i thought it was bad; i think it was on the same level as the others it may have even had the best drama so far. It's just that i like Van alot and this episode was horrible for her so it was a bit tough to sit through. Her having to sit with this smug bitch friend who is clearly in a better situation than her and of course the ending was very well done but again tough to sit through. Think my favourite so far is either the one were Earn is waiting to be bailed out of prison or the basketball one. Both were hilarious, i particularly loved Earn being mistaken for an agent in the latter.

I'll probably make a longer post once i've watched the last four eps. I think along with Master of None this is my favourite recent comedy show; both are even pretty similar in how they mix comedy and drama. I also think Louie fans would like this.

I started watching this the other day after seeing this thread, so thanks ScarletLion. I'm a big fan of Community and even though Troy isn't one of my favourites i do really like Donald Glover so i thought i should check it out. Watched the first six episodes and i agree it is very good. The only episode i didn't like was the last one, not because i thought it was bad; i think it was on the same level as the others it may have even had the best drama so far. It's just that i like Van alot and this episode was horrible for her so it was a bit tough to sit through. Her having to sit with this smug bitch friend who is clearly in a better situation than her and of course the ending was very well done but again tough to sit through. Think my favourite so far is either the one were Earn is waiting to be bailed out of prison or the basketball one. Both were hilarious, i particularly loved Earn being mistaken for an agent in the latter.

I'll probably make a longer post once i've watched the last four eps. I think along with Master of None this is my favourite recent comedy show; both are even pretty similar in how they mix comedy and drama. I also think Louie fans would like this.
Totally agree. It's got that dry humour about it. I didn't even know it had a comedy element until I watched it, I thought it was just a drama. That basketball episode is one of the funniest bits of tv I've seen for a while. Donald Glover is some talent.

My series of the year so far, along with Horace and Pete & Gomorrah.

This might just do nobody any good.
On the subtitle:

Originally Posted by Donald Glover
“Robbin’ season is the time before Christmas in Atlanta where there’s more criminal activity than normal because it’s about to be Christmas time, it’s the end of the year, there are a lot of people with gifts, there’s a lot of robberies going on because people have nice stuff at the time or trying to make money for Christmas or during that end of the year period, kind of like a vibe in Atlanta during that time.”

This might just do nobody any good.
“Alt-right Johnny Appleseed.”

I hadn’t realized how much I missed this show.

@ScarletLion

You watching the new Season? Just wondering if it's worth posting about it here as i think you're the only other one that watches it.

Haven't caught up yet, i forgot all about the show probably due to the two year gap so i rewatched the last few of Season 1 to remind myself of how it finished. Watched the first two of Season Two last night, should be caught up over the weekend. It's definitely one of the best shows currently airing, so clever and funny and i dunno it just has the best vibe, it's often about awful things but it's totally chill 95% of the time. Interesting that this is the "Robbin' Season", all sorts of thievery so far. Kinda think Paper Boi might get "stole" from Earnest during this Season, although that may be a bit obvious as it's clearly heavily hinting at that. It's weird how much of a heavy tone the first couple of episodes had around Earnest losing him.

Anyway i'll post more once i've caught up if you and/or anyone else is watching.

@ScarletLion

You watching the new Season? Just wondering if it's worth posting about it here as i think you're the only other one that watches it.

Haven't caught up yet, i forgot all about the show probably due to the two year gap so i rewatched the last few of Season 1 to remind myself of how it finished. Watched the first two of Season Two last night, should be caught up over the weekend. It's definitely one of the best shows currently airing, so clever and smart and i dunno it just has the best vibe, it's often about awful things but it's totally chill 95% of the time. Interesting that this is the "Robbin' Season", all sorts of thievery so far. Kinda think Paper Boi might get "stole" from Earnest during this Season, although that may be a bit obvious as it's clearly heavily hinting at that. It's weird how much of a heavy tone the first couple of episodes had around Earnest losing him.

Anyway i'll post more once i've caught up if you and/or anyone else is watching.
I've not started yet. I'll get round to them this week or next. I'm just getting through Goliath, Mindhunter and have just started the new Silicon Valley. If Atlanta is anywhere near as good as the 1st season it will be ace.

I've not started yet. I'll get round to them this week or next. I'm just getting through Goliath, Mindhunter and have just started the new Silicon Valley. If Atlanta is anywhere near as good as the 1st season it will be ace.
I liked Mindhunter a lot, hope it keeps up its high quality in Season 1. I stopped watching Silicon Valley a few years back, don't even remember why as i was enjoying it.

The first two episodes haven't dropped at all, neither has been spectacular but it's kept up the average quality of the first season and seems to be going in interesting directions. Actually the first episode was really funny come to think of it.

I liked Mindhunter a lot, hope it keeps up its high quality in Season 1. I stopped watching Silicon Valley a few years back, don't even remember why as i was enjoying it.

The first two episodes haven't dropped at all, neither has been spectacular but it's kept up the average quality of the first season and seems to be going in interesting directions. Actually the first episode was really funny come to think of it.
I shall report back once done. Still can't get over how crazy talented Glover is.

I shall report back once done. Still can't get over how crazy talented Glover is.
He was actually probably my least favourite character of the main gang in Community, well him or Brita, still liked him a lot though. Think that was more due to him being written as a played out extremely dumb character, he pulled off his sweet moments with Abed in particular incredibly well.

He was actually probably my least favourite character of the main gang in Community, well him or Brita, still liked him a lot though. Think that was more due to him being written as a played out extremely dumb character, he pulled off his sweet moments with Abed in particular incredibly well.
I've not seen Community to my shame. But even his music and stand up is quite good.

Man, the Earn and Van episodes make me feel terrible. He is really really shtty to her, he clearly doesn't deserve her which is obviously the point but man it's so tough to watch. Not them all the strip club and date night episodes were fun and sweet, in the German episode he was a real POS though. She is a great person and is dealing with a lot outside of her relationship with him, obviously it's portraying a young black mother's life and her problems and i'm glad Glover hasn't made his character a saint or like accidentally wrong he's intentionally mean and petty a lot of the time, feels like how arguments actually play out so i highly commend the writing. It's so weird that his episodes independent of her he is shown as a nice, mostly good person who is trying to sort a life out for them and their daughter then it just drops you into him treating her very poorly and not seeming interested in continuing it, he doesn't seem to be in love with her while she clearly loves him which is something refreshing to see as i can't think of too many shows that portray a relationship like that for this long and it's of course very common in real life. It's also interesting how drama heavy these episodes are, usually even similar comedy-drama's still have a lot of jokes but these episodes go for almost entirely drama. There was a few light jokes in the early parts then there was the dude standing next to Van while they were playing table tennis but outside of that it was mostly serious. Guessing they are split now if so i hope Van still plays a large role, wouldn't be surprised if she gets a boyfriend (probably white knowing this show) and him being around the kid as well as Earn's inevitable jealousy and probable regret is explored. Van is a great character, think she is the best on the show probably.

Episode 3 was awesome and hilarious. That end joke killed me, "It was Michael Vick!" Also my biggest laugh of the Season so far maybe was the other singer playing along with Paperboi's "i've got booze, we're gonna party" before saying "Yeah i don't drink, i don't drink like that but you do you", incredible delivery even though i saw it coming. Also Van genuinely got me with that redhanded thing too, that sounded so dang plausible. As soon as she said she was joking i realized it obviously comes from like a murderer being caught with red hands from their victims blood.

OMG, that Teddy Perkins episode was incredible, so horrifying. Have always really liked Darius so i was glad he got his own episode, definitely didn't expect something like this. Man this show is so jarring in the best way, to have this follow the silly haircut episode is insanity.

Teddy was supposed to be black, right? Unless i misunderstood, he mentioned his father being extremely strict in teaching him to play the piano then later on in the episode he is watching a video of a black guy teaching a black child to play the piano plus Benny was completely covered he could have been black. Don't remember what Benny looked like in the photo though he may have been white. Found out after the episode that Donald Glover played Teddy , so great. So many nightmare inducing moments, the ostrich egg, the blood on the piano, the basement, how graphic Benny's death was, christ. It was funny too particularly the phonecall with Paperboi and the fact that Darius had so many chances to leave but he just really wanted that piano and that the police drove away with it at the end Best episode this season. The haircut one was so good too, Bibby was incredible, shady as hell but very convincing in that you'd probably end up going along with him the first few times at least. Best show.

Episode 7 wasn't great but it was solid enough, was pretty much impossible to follow the quality of the Teddy Perkins and Barber episodes. I love the idea of getting insanely high, panicking then Darius magically appearing and calming you down with his bs stories. Also i know this show isn't completely linear this could have taking place before it or a good while after it, but the idea that Darius is that calm and nonchalant after the whole Teddy Perkins situation is so great. Other than that there were some laughs here and there but it was mostly a light episode, didn't really get the point in that creepy dude thought we'd get more horror with him acting insane or something but he just disappeared and we never heard from him again.

Man, i don't think i can wait two years for another Season of this it's so good. The only upside is one year you get Atlanta then the next you get Master of None which is my other favourite ongoing Comedy not counting Nathan For You which is something entirely different.

Another good not great episode. The first half of the episode was alright, seemed to return to hinting at Paperboi dropping Earn as his manager. What's her name was the perfect girlfriend for Paperboi in that she was insane and really aggressive, Paperboi is supposed to be a 'dangerous thug' it's the reason he's famous in the first place not his rapping and yet he is very lazy and laid back, plus he is so unlucky of course he's going to end up tied to a nutjob. I love that we're nearing the end of Season 2 and we've still only heard one Paperboi song and it's the most generic "repeat my rapper name" song. That's obviously the joke and we've heard several people sing it to him with so many different verses to the point that it can't all be in the one song.

The second half got dark af, like i was saying Paperboi is so unlucky. His stories are an interesting examination of the perils of fame, maintaining an image, becoming public property whether he wants to or not, etc. My only problem with this episode was that it felt too short, dunno it just seemed to end really abruptly guess that's because it was split in two. Think his offering the photo at the end is more him moving away from Earn, Earn really isn't a good manager and he doesn't need to be because Paperboi doesn't want to actually do anything but that indicates he's realized he can't do this halfassed, he needs to either drop it or go all in and he clearly chose the latter, Dunno, maybe that won't happen though. Man that crazy dude still holding the knife after Paperboi moved was so disturbing.

Season Finale tonight . This has been one of the best Seasons of tv i've seen not sure what i'll do for i'm assuming two years without it if it even comes back Glover seems to move on quickly from things, hope it goes out on a high note at least.

The last episode was incredible, so many school memories came back to me. Obviously i didn't go to an American school but lots of that stuff went down in my school and he recreated a very familiar atmosphere. Young Paperboi was probably my favourite part of the episode but young Earn was great too, could absolutely see that being Donald (Donald not even Earn) as a kid especially the way he acted. Weird thing i'm pretty sure there's a very quick Zazie Beets cameo, was so jarring unless it was just someone that looked like her.

@ScarletLion

Haven't caught up yet, i forgot all about the show probably due to the two year gap so i rewatched the last few of Season 1 to remind myself of how it finished. Watched the first two of Season Two last night, should be caught up over the weekend. It's definitely one of the best shows currently airing, so clever and funny and i dunno it just has the best vibe, it's often about awful things but it's totally chill 95% of the time. Interesting that this is the "Robbin' Season", all sorts of thievery so far. Kinda think Paper Boi might get "stole" from Earnest during this Season, although that may be a bit obvious as it's clearly heavily hinting at that. It's weird how much of a heavy tone the first couple of episodes had around Earnest losing him.

I've just finished Episode 5 (Teddy Perkins) and am blown away. It is absolutely crazy television. So slick. One of the best episodes of television I've seen recently.